Cruising destinations in the Americas and the Caribbean

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Los Angeles

Post by Suekersh »

Hi all,

We have a 3 night pre cruise stay in LA before joining Arcadia. We have been researching LA and never realised just how Vast it is. I am completely bewildered.

We are staying close to Rodeo Drive, on South Beverly boulevard close to Pico Boulevard.

Any tips what to see and how to get there. There is a metro but it looks from the map that we are quite far from a station. There is a bus and the HoHo bus. The Hoho looks very expensive compared to bus or metro.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Sue

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Los Angeles

Post by Manoverboard »

My very best advice is to stay in San Diego instead :wave:

You are right, it is vast and a bit naff to boot as far as we are concerned.

Your best option, imo, is to take organised tours that pick up and drop at your Hotel ... using Viator perhaps.

Consider a full day in Disneyland else Universal Studios and another one doing some of the City highlights inc the Chinese Theatre, Hollywood, Homes of the Stars or the Mexican Market perhaps.

Haven't got a clue how you find any of this stuff, we were on a coaching tour but I felt completely lost the whole time we were in this City :lol:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Andrea S
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Andrea S »

Suekersh, I have been to LA a couple of times but bith were coach tours MOB

Andrea S
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Andrea S »

Suekersh, , My silly fingers and phone are playing silly games.
I was trying to say I have been a couple of times but like MOB I was on coach tours with organised trips.
The Hollywood Bowl, the Queen Mary and the submarine next to it were very interesting . The Farmers Market was nice to wander around, The Chinese Theatre, seeing the stars hand prints, especially John Wayne (for my OH), We had a wonderful day at Universal Studios , seeing behind the scenes of well known films etc.
LA doesn't have a 'centre' as such and is made up of sprawling suburbs. We only drove down Rodeo Drive but

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

We spent a week in LA about 15 years ago.

We stayed in Anaheim, near Disneyland.

However, if I had limited time, I'd prefer to go to Universal Studios, which was fantastic. We had a hire car, and drove from Anaheim to Universal Studios. The freeways are busy, but nothing worse than the M25 at rush hour.

We also drove to the beach at Santa Monica,,which was fun.

We did a couple of coach trips, to see the City sights, like Graumans Chinese Theatre and the Walk of Fame, and Sunset Boulevard.

If you like shopping, the Beverly Center is good.

I don't know if you will have a hire car, but I expect the hotel concierge will be able to sort out coach tours etc.
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Santa Monica ... oh, shucks ...

I had such high hopes for that place yet it was probably the biggest disappointment of the entire trip, Santa Barbara on the other hand was fantastic :lol:

ps ... we also stayed in Anaheim.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Thanks all. We had identified the Chinese theatre, farmers market, Santa Monica beach,and Venice beach. Just not sure of the best way of doing these.

A bit annoyed with P & O because they are doing a coach tour for pax staying 3 days pre cruise. When we asked if we could book it we were told it is only for pax cruising LA to Sydney or LA to Singapore. We are staying on longer to Dubai so we are not entitled to book this!

Will try again nearer departure date in case they have any available space.

Sue

AngieT
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by AngieT »

At the hotel you are staying at ask if they have a hotel limo available for use by guests when the manager isn't using it (at a charge of course). When we stayed at the Sheraton Town House (Downtown) some years ago we asked the bellboy to hail a taxi to take us to the Farmers Market & he offered us the hotel limo instead. We asked the driver how much it would cost & it worked out cheaper than a taxi & we arrived in style!

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Wow Angie, what a good idea. Would never have thought of that. Arriving at Universal in a chauffeur driven limo!! :o

Sue

Holiday Planner
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Holiday Planner »

I too recommend Universal Studios. You get a tour on a 'mini train' round the studios and see locations for things like 'Murder She Wrote'. You can also go to a Special Effects workshop, where you find out how they did the 'Psycho' shower scene, and how they made the Delorian fly in 'Back to the Future'. Thery call up members of the audience and my son Jonathan who was 11 at the time got to 'fly' the Delorian. He's 22 now, and still talks about it!
The rides there are just as good as at Disneyland (with fabulous special effects as you can imagine), but it's not all about the rides.

If you drive yourselves, be warned that traffic in LA is a nightmare, and you can sit in huge traffic jams taking hours to just get a few miles.
Angela

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Hi Angela,
Thanks for the tips. One thing I am absolutely certain of is that we will not be hiring a car or driving anywhere in LA. We will use the bus, metro or if necessary a taxi or even maybe a Limo.

The rides at Universal don't appeal to us but the trip round the studios does.

Sue

Andrea S
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Andrea S »

Sue, Hopefully for you P&O will have something available but if not most hotels have leaflets of the local excursion companies which you could book at the hotel.You could look on line to see what else is available and you will go with a bigger list to choose from.
I have never been interested in films but Universal Studios took my breath away. From floods, to fires, to major crashes the detail that goes in to it is absolutely amazing. Sitting on the little train going through streets as seen in films and on television is surreal.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Have you checked out the wwwdot of your Hotel to see if they have a ' Tours Desk ' ?

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Manoverboard wrote:
Have you checked out the wwwdot of your Hotel to see if they have a ' Tours Desk ' ?
Yes checked it out but no mention of a tours desk. In the reviews (some excellent with 5 * and others dire) the concierge is recommended as having lots of insider info.

Sue

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Suekersh wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:
Yes checked it out but no mention of a tours desk. In the reviews (some excellent with 5 * and others dire) the concierge is recommended as having lots of insider info.

Sue
The concierge is the way to go then ... but don't forget the tip :lol:

AngieT
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by AngieT »

Sue,

If you go to the Farmers Market the CBS TV Studio is a few minutes walk away. They sometimes come around the market giving out tickets to be in the audience of productions they are filming that day (we were lucky & got to go watch a comedy & it was a great experience). Or you could always go to the studio's reception & ask if there are any tickets for anything that day. Meanwhile, keep your eyes open at the Farmers Market as you often spot famous faces - we saw Steven Segal.

Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

Suekersh wrote:
Hi all,

We have a 3 night pre cruise stay in LA before joining Arcadia. We have been researching LA and never realised just how Vast it is. I am completely bewildered.

We are staying close to Rodeo Drive, on South Beverly boulevard close to Pico Boulevard.

Any tips what to see and how to get there. There is a metro but it looks from the map that we are quite far from a station. There is a bus and the HoHo bus. The Hoho looks very expensive compared to bus or metro.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Sue
Sorry about this but it appears I'm almost two years late.

Not to worry, maybe it will come in handy for a members future visit.

I've recently added one of my 'One Way to do...' series to my blog and it covers my pre-cruise stay in Los Angeles.

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/201 ... s-angeles/

It has certainly been received well on the Facebook communities.

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Don't expect to be able to see the "Homes of the Stars". The influence of those people has led to the residential streets of Beverley Hills etc being closed to traffic other than that with legitimate reason to be using them. Which is really quite silly, and sad - considering that the huge walls, fences and gates to the properties meant that all you could ever see is a roof or two.

We too were on a coach tour, and saw the main sights- but have no desire to rush back.

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

The only way of course to really see all that LA offers is by doing a land based holiday, as we did some time ago on a fly drive holiday from San Francisco to San Diego over 3 weeks and, we did not follow a cruise ship either on this; it was before we ever considered cruising; I planned it all, booking hotels, flights and a hire car. Even 5 nights did not allow us to see all of LA!!

A friend of ours who had travelled to LA frequently, advised us to never stay in central LA. Not only is there no actual centre in this sprawling metropolis, you could be faced with being stuck in your hotel as it is not safe to venture out on foot in many areas. Hence we stayed in a beachfront hotel in Santa Monica. Lovely place with, even then, loads of restaurants within walking distance of hotels, SO, if you are cruising from there, or considering a stay there, do check out where to stay and Santa Monica in particular as a destination, pre or post cruise, OR as a a cruise starting point, for those who fly to the ship.

Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

wolfie wrote:
The only way of course to really see all that LA offers is by doing a land based holiday, as we did some time ago on a fly drive holiday from San Francisco to San Diego over 3 weeks and, we did not follow a cruise ship either on this; it was before we ever considered cruising; I planned it all, booking hotels, flights and a hire car. Even 5 nights did not allow us to see all of LA!!

A friend of ours who had travelled to LA frequently, advised us to never stay in central LA. Not only is there no actual centre in this sprawling metropolis, you could be faced with being stuck in your hotel as it is not safe to venture out on foot in many areas. Hence we stayed in a beachfront hotel in Santa Monica. Lovely place with, even then, loads of restaurants within walking distance of hotels, SO, if you are cruising from there, or considering a stay there, do check out where to stay and Santa Monica in particular as a destination, pre or post cruise, OR as a a cruise starting point, for those who fly to the ship.
Your friend indeed offered good advice. That's why we stayed in Century City which borders Beverly Hills.

Such a shame 5 nights didn't allow one to see all of Los Angeles. Good planning is so important, especially when one only has 3 days before a Silversea cruise...
Last edited by david63 on 02 Mar 2015, 09:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removal of irrelevant link

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

We did a whirlwind tour of Los Angeles in 24 hours including Chinatown, Hollywood, Pier 39, Lombard Street, a ride on a tram, a sail around the harbour. Sadly there was insufficient time to visit Alcatraz. It was very much whistle stop but there is so much to see there. You definitely do need longer.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

oldbluefox wrote:
We did a whirlwind tour of Los Angeles in 24 hours including Chinatown, Hollywood, Pier 39, Lombard Street, a ride on a tram, a sail around the harbour. Sadly there was insufficient time to visit Alcatraz. It was very much whistle stop but there is so much to see there. You definitely do need longer.
Especially if you take in San Francisco as well :lol:

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Just testing
:oops: :oops:

Return to “The Americas”