Alaskan Cruise

Cruising destinations in the Americas and the Caribbean

Topic author
Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Alaskan Cruise

Post by Romig1 »

We are more than likely going to book a Rockies Tour/Alaskan cruise next year (possibly June).

Choices for the cruise include HAL (sailing from Vancouver) or Celebrity or NCL (sailing out of Seattle).

My first thought was to choose the Vancouver option thereby not entering the US and avoiding the border controls/ESTA requirements....until I remembered that Alaska is a US state also...DOH! And me with a Geography degree too! :oops:

Any thoughts about the options? -They all seem to do very similar itineraries (which look fantastic), the main difference being that the Seattle departures call at Vancouver Island for an afternoon on the way back.

Oh, and has anyone got experience of entering the US by road from Canada - I'm hoping that there won't be long immigration queues?

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Alaskan Cruise

Post by Manoverboard »

I suggest that you go via Vancouver as it's a great location in its own right, think added days or indeed a trip to very interesting Vancouver Island for a day or two as well.

Our experiences out of Canada into the USA and back via road and even a riverboat were shall we say ' tiresome ' at best.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray Scully »

Been thinking about an Alaskan cruise for ages. Any recommendations for good beaches?

Ray

Topic author
Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Ray, I've found you a great one.

I've set you a sunbed up...just out of shot. :lol:

Topic author
Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Sorry forgot the link...where is that edit button???

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-1vjxcMNBvkY/T ... image2.jpg

Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray Scully »

:D :D :D

hdean61
Cadet
Cadet

Post by hdean61 »

My husband and I are thinking of an Alaskan cruise next year too. That was before we booked this years trip to Norway though so maybe we'll fancy a but of sun instead. Not if he gets his way though so we'll see.

My brother went to Vancouver some years ago and raved about it so we'd probably do one from Vancouver and possibly have a night or two there first.

Topic author
Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Hi hdean

You may well be lucky on your Norway cruise yet. We had good sunbathing opportunities on both our cruises there (late June and early July).

We had almost decided on the Alaskan cruise (with Rockies too) this year and had found a great trip. Unfortunately, despite flying in and out of Vancouver, the itinerary didn't give you any time there...not even a city tour! That cruise sailed from Seattle (with Celebrity Eclipse), and looks spectacular (but most of the cruise itineraries look similar). We enquired about added on nights in Vancouver, but the flights weren't available when we would have wanted (and the cost was increasing all the time, of course).

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Fly to Calgary, "do" the Rockies, take the Rocky Mountaineer railway to Vancouver, have a couple of days there and cruise the Inside Passage. Fantastic, unforgettable, best holiday ever!

Wina G
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Wina G »

That's exactly what we're thinking of doing Kaymar :D

We'd have liked to do it this year but the dates didn't fit as we've already got a cruise booked :(

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Wina, persuade Romig to for out for the "gold" version of the Rocky Mountaineer trip. Yes, it's pretty expensive but you'll never forget it, believe me.

Return to “The Americas”