Hong Kong

Cruising destinations in Asia

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Hong Kong

Post by Kendhni »

The far East is definitely on our bucket list and it is expected that it will be one of the biggest growth areas for cruisers over the next few years (maybe prices will come down :-)).

The new cruise terminal sounds amazing (story here)

jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: Hong Kong

Post by jay-ell71 »

It does look great. However, it would mean that ships would no longer sail in to the centre of the city, which is an experience up there with Sydney and Venice. Progress is not always all it is cracked up to be. :| Jay

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

I never knew that Jay ... similar to Venice it looks like I may not get a chance to experience that sail in :-(

jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jay-ell71 »

Aw Ken. We have been very very fortunate in being able to visit these fabulous cities on cruise ships. We find ourselves unable to,cope with any "long haul, flights any more, so will be sticking to Europe from now on. I do hope you and Julie will be able to visit Hong Kong and Sydney some time. Jay. :)
Jay

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

I sort of 'tolerate' long haul flights .. I work on the basis that they are a necessary evil to do what I want to do ... but one day I know I probably won't want to do them ... that is why we have deliberately avoided cruising the Mediterranean and Baltics so far ... we want somewhere new to do when we finally decide 'no more flights'.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

jay-ell71 wrote:
It does look great. However, it would mean that ships would no longer sail in to the centre of the city, which is an experience up there with Sydney and Venice. Progress is not always all it is cracked up to be. :| Jay
When we boarded Arcadia to sail back to Southampton, P&O hadn't used the cruise terminal anyway and we were berthed miles out of the city in the container terminal - not the most impressive start to our voyage! But I was so glad to be leaving Hong Kong, I could overlook that just to get away!
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

We will be happy enough to ' visit ' Hong Kong but starting a World Segment with three nights in Bangkok will take some beating as far as we are concerned ... Oz however is not on our bucket list.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Yes, Bangkok is amazing, you'll see some wonderful sights.
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

... and we are presently thinking about returning there in 2014 to see the Royal Barge Museum and The Bridge over the River Kwai :thumbup:

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Thanks for starting this thread - it will be of interest to us because we are hoping to get into HK in 2014.

Em :)

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

I will be in Hong Kong in less than three weeks - albeit the airport :crazy:

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Boris+ wrote:
Thanks for starting this thread - it will be of interest to us because we are hoping to get into HK in 2014.

Does HK know this and is she up for it as well :o :o :?
Nihil Obstat

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

I suppose you should be thankful for small mercies - there could have been a typo and I might have put DK instead of HK.

Blast my boots and kippers - I should re-read the post before I posted it.

Ooooooops!

:oops: :crazy:

Em

HK phooey
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by HK phooey »

Strange as this may sound, as I am a crime fighting janitor from this very place, I hate Hong Kong! The harbour at night when the fireworks go off is a sight worth seeing but there is nothing on earth that would get me to return willingly to this hell hole :thumbdown:

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Manoverboard wrote:
... and we are presently thinking about returning there in 2014 to see the Royal Barge Museum and The Bridge over the River Kwai :thumbup:
I would suggest you visit Kanchanaburi sooner rather than later, MoB.

The Aussie fella (Rob, he's called) who runs the museum and Commonwealth cemetery there is absolutely superb - both in his knowledge and enthusiasm. Go before he retires/moves on (if he hasn't already) is my advice.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Romig1 wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:
I would suggest you visit Kanchanaburi sooner rather than later, MoB.

The Aussie fella (Rob, he's called) who runs the museum and Commonwealth cemetery there is absolutely superb - both in his knowledge and enthusiasm. Go before he retires/moves on (if he hasn't already) is my advice.
Thanks for the heads up R, fingers crossed but we can't go any sooner than 2014.

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

You'll certainly miss a spectacular berth, right by the Star Ferry, when they change over.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hong Kong is a place which I wouldn't put on my wish list, but as it is not a place that I wish to actively avoid I shall just have to put up with it.

Em

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

wolfie wrote:
You'll certainly miss a spectacular berth, right by the Star Ferry, when they change over.
Sadly, they often berth in the container port now, which is hideous - even by container port standards :shock:
Gill

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

I think we are supposed to have an overnight stay onboard in HK - it's much too early to try and find out where the ship will berth, but we'll have to wait and see.

Meanwhile, I'll try and work out about getting from this new terminal into 'town'.

melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

Have just seen that Aurora has docked at the Ocean Terminal on Kowloon Island. A great base to go from. So no container port for them, in fact we have never been there so have been lucky. The last time we were there which was an overnight stay I visited the Big Buddah on Lantau Island. I have always enjoyed our time in HK. It's a place that is easy to go around on ones own and it was also the first Asian city I visited on my own back in 1988 and I just fell in love with the region. There are not many places I do not like, I just love travelling and revisiting places.

Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray Scully »

jay-ell71 wrote:
Jay
Many ships have not been berthing at the Star ferry terminal in Kowloon but out of town at the container terminal. The new cruise terminal at Kai Tak will be a better bet.

Ray

Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray Scully »

GillD46 wrote:
jay-ell71 wrote:
When we boarded Arcadia to sail back to Southampton, P&O hadn't used the cruise terminal anyway and we were berthed miles out of the city in the container terminal - not the most impressive start to our voyage! But I was so glad to be leaving Hong Kong, I could overlook that just to get away!
Gill
Kowloon was not a favourite, but we did enjoy HongKong island

Ray

arcadialover
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by arcadialover »

Been twice to Hong Kong and absolutely loved every second we were there. So much to see and do and so easy to travel around and so cheap.

We were once berthed in the container port and once miles out in junk bay, a water boat was provoded to shuttle us in.

Return to “Asia”