Topics relating to disabled cruising

Topic author
titania2008
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

new to cruising with wheelchair

Post by titania2008 »

Hi all,
Hoping to go away this summer with mum, she has mobility problems but very very bad at the moment so will be getting a wheelchair. General cruising with a chair advice needed as well as any gd lightweight foldable chair suggestions for comfort approx 15stones weight criteria.
Thanks any advice will be much appreciated, please say it even if its obvious I have common sense issues lol
Thanks again :wave: :wave: xx

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: new to cruising with wheelchair

Post by GillD46 »

You can get advice re the purchase of wheelchairs at any good mobility shop. They will take the intended use and weight into account before mking a recommendation. We have taken my mum, in a wheelchair, and it worked absolutely fine, except the chair took up a little room in the cabin, but she had a cabin to herself, so wasn't too cramped.

Is there anything in particular you were concerned about?
Gill

Topic author
titania2008
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by titania2008 »

nothing specific but I know people usually have fab suggestions on here, thanks for help tho Gill. I am an over thinker lol

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Hi titania....l am surprised at the lack of response to you questions as there are to my knowledge several on this fourm who would normally be forthcoming with sound advice. What l can tell you is that most who are in the unfortunate positon of having to use a wheelchair seem to manage pretty well whilst on cruise ships.

Regards

Onelife

mavismumakrill
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by mavismumakrill »

Hi Titania. It is so easy getting round the ships in a wheelchair. As you know I have managed fine for several cruises. Only stopped cruising now because of Colin's health problems. You can hire a wheelchair from some mobility shops and sometimes from the Red Cross. If you contact your local Carers Support Group or even one in Southampton they will be able to advise best places to use in your or Southampton area. As long as you have space in your cabin for a wheelchair you should be fine. A fold up one would be best so that it is easy to get on and off the excursion coaches as well (in the part beneath the coach body - luggage compartment). You would also then have more room in the cabin. Try to get a balcony cabin so that mum can just sit on the balcony and watch the world go by or just sit and watch passengers getting on and off the ship if she doesn't feel like getting off. Depends which ship you are going on but it is a heavy push up to the shows on some ships. (always some nice man to help though!!) Remember when out with her that she may feel the cold more because of not moving around and try to get her feet up when just resting in the cabin.
Hope this is useful. Ask more if you need to know. You do need to let P & O or whoever you are going with the measurements and weight of the wheelchair before going.
Best Wishes

Mavis x

stocktonmackem
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by stocktonmackem »

Mavis has given you details of where to get the chair etc. The only thing I can add is that once on board, I can only speak of the 3 big ships you will find everything is very accessible. The staff are very good with wheelchairs especially when using the mdr's. They will take the chair away for you if your mum is using the dining room chairs. Getting on and off the ship is also easy as there are a couple of porters who will take your mum off the ship safely. There are a lot of complaints regarding the lifts and wheelchairs etc but my advice is to ignore them as we never have a problem, maybe because I am on holiday and will get to wherever I need to be eventually . Whatever you choose have a fabulous Cruise.

mavismumakrill
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by mavismumakrill »

As said above there are often problems with getting a lift that you can get in especially near the theatre when a show has just finished and near the dining room as meal times are finishing. However, it is interesting just sitting there watching everybody running from one lift to another as they open the doors only to find there is no room. I also agree that all the staff can't do enough to help even in the self service areas there are staff who will move the chairs, carry your tray for you etc. Anything to be of use. When previously booked as a disabled passenger you tend to have some priority at embarkation as well with a specially low counter to be dealt with for passport checks, ship photo for the ship pass card. Everything just at the right height for the passenger in a wheelchair to be comfortable.

Enjoy your cruise.

Mavis x

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

A wheelchair has to be made/designed to suit each individual's requirements; height, weight , medical condition,etc. Maybe for short term use a hire one may be OK, in the short term, BUT we were advised to take advice from the OT department before we went down this route.

However, on our last cruise we met a couple, on a last minute booking, where no accessible cabins were available, and they had hired a folding electric wheel chair just for that cruise. It served it's purpose, but, as they said, for short term use only as a badly designed chair can do more harm than good to the user. Don't ask me in what way, I have no idea, but I do see the sense in it.

Mr-big-bits-mk2
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Mr-big-bits-mk2 »

Not sure if we're allowed to mention things like Ebay but this is the chair the wife has (Ebay item number 321568130868). It comes in a range of colours and as well as being light weight and folds down it also is very easy to dismantle down as no tools are required. The handlebars fold down behind the back, the wheels pop off, the foot rests unclip and the are rests also just pop off so great for storing in the car along with all the luggage. All for £120 delivered.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

wolfie wrote:
A wheelchair has to be made/designed to suit each individual's requirements; height, weight , medical condition,etc. Maybe for short term use a hire one may be OK, in the short term, BUT we were advised to take advice from the OT department before we went down this route.

However, on our last cruise we met a couple, on a last minute booking, where no accessible cabins were available, and they had hired a folding electric wheel chair just for that cruise. It served it's purpose, but, as they said, for short term use only as a badly designed chair can do more harm than good to the user. Don't ask me in what way, I have no idea, but I do see the sense in it.
If only your first para was true Wolfie, it may well be desirable to have a bespoke wheelchair but in reality the manufacturers decide the design. However most models come in different sizes so you can find the best fit, and each is tested for weight carrying so you can again pick one that suits. Other than that the only adjustable feature is the footrest where the height can be changed. After that you need to "road test" as many as possible to find the most comfortable, not forgetting its ease of packing into a car boot where its weight can be a problem for the carer.
This means that choice when hiring will be further reduced since the mobility centres will only stock a limited range.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Topic author
titania2008
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by titania2008 »

wow guys thanks you are super stars, I didnt think it would be a problem cruises are fab, passengers and staff alike. I just like to feel in control and know in advance xx thankyou for all info xx

Mr-big-bits-mk2
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Mr-big-bits-mk2 »

If you do get a wheel chair get one with the big rear wheels not the ones with four small wheels.

Yorkshirerose22
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Yorkshirerose22 »

I also travel with a wheelchair as my disability varies from day to day . I have a very ultralight folding "drive "wheelchair in grey and black and it's quite modern looking . It's very light weight and I can lift it very well on my own . It cost about £170 and has been brilliant and I'm about the same weight . My mother who is in her nineties also has the same chair and also fins it comfortable .
I've always found that people are really helpful when you are using a wheelchair and cruising is a wonderful way to see the world .

Return to “Cruising for the Disabled”