Caribbean port maps and guides??

Topics relating to disabled cruising

Topic author
KevandLin
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Caribbean port maps and guides??

Post by KevandLin »

Hiya were going on our first cruise ever for our honeymoon and we are really excited. We have done some hunting around on the net but not found any good port maps or guides. Im wondering what the ports are like in the different islands especially since i need a wheelchair for long distances and apparently in the caribbean you cant take a fold up wheelchair on the p and o excursions so we will have to do things DIY and not really got a clue where to start any help would be sooooooo appreciated.

islands were going to:

Barbados
Curacao
Aruba
St Vincent
Grenada
St maarten
Tortola
Dominica
St lucia

Thanks xxx

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Caribbean port maps and guides??

Post by Manoverboard »

Hello and welcome ..

I cannot help you from the ' wheelchair ' perspective but I will move your Topic to the ' Cruising for the Disabled ' Forum as I believe you may get a more informed response.

Update ... Your Topic has been moved, as per above.

Regards MoB
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

JohnTheDog
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by JohnTheDog »

I could be wrong here but I would be surprised if you can't do wheelchair excursions. The ports in most of these places are quite small, Barbados is probably the biggest but really Bridgetown is nothing special, Curacao & Aruba as I recall are reasonably accessible from the ship, never stopped on a ship in St Vincent but I gather it's a place to do a trip, the rest are OK to get to but Dominica is a bit grim round the port, some stunning scenery to see if you can manage a tour. I'm sure you will find something to do though, you could try asking P&O directly.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

The problem is that the tour buses are quite small and there is not usually room for a wheelchair but there is nothing to stop you taking our own (or a rented one, especially if you're flying), folding it up and putting into the boot of a taxi.

P&O have a department that deals with this sort of hing, you could always give them a call?

JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

Hopefully, you have a bit of time before you go and would suggest you search on the name of the island and then find the tourist organisation. Some of them will have the names of private tour companies who you could email, obviously a bit more expensive, but for islands you really want to see may be a good option. Barbados may be easier as they have a good bus transportation network and very, very cheap, but would just make sure they can accommodate wheelchairs. You can get a taxi from the port into the main bus depot in Bridgetown and if you don't fancy the bus there is a very good beach within walking distance. Good luck and have a great wedding...... :)
Jenni

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Some pointers, but I am sure someone with much more experience of wheelchair use will come along to help.

Most of the port areas in the Caribbean are quite flat BUT in some they seem to be less aware of people in wheelchairs and so you may come across some steps and on some islands you will find very high kerb stones, narrow pavements and/or cobbled streets. All islands can be done DIY and in the ports you will often find drivers who specifically cater for people with wheelchairs.

Some pointers that may (or may not) help ...

Barbados - port area is reasonably flat. There is a nearby shopping area. The town is about a 20 minute walk .. some high kerbstones.
Curacao - again flat with easy access to the port shopping area (about 5 minutes away) and the town (about 15 minutes away). There is a movable bridge to get to the main town where the streets and footpaths can be quite narrow ... however I htink you may have to go up a couple of steps to get onto the bridge (it has been a while since we were there)./

Aruba - flat area and the town is only about 5-10 minutes from the ship. Good for shopping in.

St Vincent - There is a port area but not much in the town (which has high kerbs and narrow footpaths in places)

Grenada - I am not saying some of the kerbs are high here but you might want to take a ladder to get up to them :-) Port area has shops nearby and the town is just beyond. There are high kerbs and very narrow footpaths

St maarten - great for shopping. Port shopping area is quite flat with a good variety of shops. There is a water taxi that will take you across to the nearbyy beach, restaurnat and shopping area ... you could also 'walk' into town along the road which takes about 20-30 minutes. The while town is quite flat.

Tortola - not much at the port area. The local flea market is on a grassy bank which may not be ideal for a wheelchair. Some very nice P&O trips though.

Dominica - ship usually puls into the town. Some narrow streets and pavements, lots of cobbles and some quite steep streets.

St lucia - ship will either dock in the town or at a nearby port shopping area. The town has some very high kerbs and narrow pavements plus traffic that seems to aim for tourists. Theport shopping area though is flat..

JohnTheDog
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by JohnTheDog »

A friend of mine has just told me he was "fobbed off" over a folding wheelchair & managed fine.

Return to “Cruising for the Disabled”