Airport Assistance advice

Topics relating to disabled cruising

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Airport Assistance advice

Post by CaroleF »

We are off on a Barbados fly cruise shortly. Several years ago after I was getting over a broken ankle we got airport assistance only because someone we were travelling with organised it once we got to Gatwick. The assistance person came to the Sofitel where we were staying on the airport and I was collected with a wheelchair from there - straight to check in, through security and then waited at a central point until I was collected by the buggy thing and taken straight to the plane.

Since then I've never needed assistance but now my arthritis has got worse and although I can walk perfectly well around the ship and for short distances I can't walk too far and the one thing that is really painful is standing queuing. So this time I'm thinking I really do need airport assistance. There is a telephone number on the P&O site to call if you want airport assistance and there is a number on the Thomson website for the same thing. So my questions are is it best to call the P&O number or Thomson direct? Is it usual for the airport assistance people to come to the Sofitel which has a walkway to the airport so I don't have to do that walk - which although not far I do find it challenging? I'd be grateful for any help from people who have used airport assistance. I don't need help on the plane, I can walk down the steps at Barbados but it would be good not to have to queue for a long time in the shed at Barbados.

Thanks for any advice.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Airport Assistance advice

Post by Manoverboard »

The Airport provide the assistance not the carrier therefore I would contact P&O.

Sofitel have a concierge service so maybe they could be of assistance ... assuming, perhaps, that you do not need to use the rail link to get to the check-in desks / terminal for your particular flight.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Thanks Moby. I phoned the P&O number given if one needs airport assistance - not the main P&O number - and the girl who answered had no idea what I was talking about! I then explained more fully how it all worked and then she put me on hold for about 4 minutes. She eventually came back and said yes it was all booked for me and to go to the Airport Assistance place when arriving in the airport. It would help if the people answering the phones were briefed on what they were supposed to know!

Mazza5
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Mazza5 »

Phone your airline or departure airport direct to arrange assistance

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

I now have comfirmation from Thomson that P&O have passed on my request so hopefully all will be well.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

keep a copy of the confirmation papers - just in case....
Meg
x

Return to “Cruising for the Disabled”