Round trip Caribbean cruises.

Topics relating to disabled cruising

Topic author
towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Round trip Caribbean cruises.

Post by towny44 »

Since my wife's stroke it looks as though flying is now off the agenda, but we would still like to do some Caribbean cruises. So I checked out what P&O offer in the way of round trips from Southampton but find that most of their offerings are on non wheelchair freindly ships.

Adonia 3 HC cabins and even P&O comment that this ship may not be suitable for full time w/c users, Oceana 19 HC cabins only 1 balcony , and that's a suite and 12 are insides, Oriana no balcony cabins and only 8 outside HC cabins, Arcadia 18 HC balcony cabins but all of them much narrower than those on Azura/Ventura.

Hopefully when the new ship arrives at least one of the 3 bigger ships will remain in Southampton during winter and offer some Caribbean cruises which will better suit w/c users.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Round trip Caribbean cruises.

Post by Dancing Queen »

Hi Towny have you considered Cunard, I only ask because I was talking to a couple at Xmas ( both were mobile scooter users although were able to walk short distances ) they were telling me that because of the restrictions with P&O they would no longer be travelling with them, I am assuming they were not in a disabled cabin as this seemed to be their main issue with P&O and also the fact ( and again I am only assuming this ) that because they were both scooter uses they did not meet the criteria ( ie: that they have to be accompanied by an able bodied person ) seemed crazy to me as neither of them were totally reliant on the scooters when onboard but obviously it made life so much easier for them when they went ashore.

It might be worth enquiring about and Cunard do have some great deals if you are able to go anytime although I think their prices are pretty comparable to P&O.
Jo

Topic author
towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Dancing Queen wrote:
Hi Towny have you considered Cunard, I only ask because I was talking to a couple at Xmas ( both were mobile scooter users although were able to walk short distances ) they were telling me that because of the restrictions with P&O they would no longer be travelling with them, I am assuming they were not in a disabled cabin as this seemed to be their main issue with P&O and also the fact ( and again I am only assuming this ) that because they were both scooter uses they did not meet the criteria ( ie: that they have to be accompanied by an able bodied person ) seemed crazy to me as neither of them were totally reliant on the scooters when onboard but obviously it made life so much easier for them when they went ashore.

It might be worth enquiring about and Cunard do have some great deals if you are able to go anytime although I think their prices are pretty comparable to P&O.
Both the newer Queens are Vista class ships, like the Arcadia, so will fall into the same category as regards HC cabins and I don't think the QM does round trip Caribbean cruises, but thanks for the thought.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

Dancing Queen wrote:

Hi Jo,

The problem is that if you have a scooter you cannot use an ordinary cabin from April. You have to book an adapted one or a mini-suite or suite. The criteria you mention above has actually gone, it is now only advice. As Towny has mentioned adapted cabins on some ships are rare and therefore in high demand. Of course the suites are much more expensive.

Gan Canny

Dai

8-)

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Hi Towny, I do know the QM2 is doing a round trip to the Caribbean at Xmas ( if that would be any good for you ) my brochure only goes up to March 2013 so I don't know if it is doing any others.

Anyway I'm hoping to be on either QE or QV in the summer so I am happy to check out what the situation is for you if you like, I appreciate they are the same class of ship as Arcadia but having been on all three I struggle to find any similarities, certainly the cabins on QE and QV are more spacious.

I didn't realise the rules changed in April Dai, the couple I was talking to certainly didn't give the impression that they would have the same problem they had with P&O but perhaps they hadn't looked into it beyond the cruise they were on.
Jo

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

Dancing Queen wrote:
Hi Towny, I do know the QM2 is doing a round trip to the Caribbean at Xmas ( if that would be any good for you ) my brochure only goes up to March 2013 so I don't know if it is doing any others.

Anyway I'm hoping to be on either QE or QV in the summer so I am happy to check out what the situation is for you if you like, I appreciate they are the same class of ship as Arcadia but having been on all three I struggle to find any similarities, certainly the cabins on QE and QV are more spacious.

I didn't realise the rules changed in April Dai, the couple I was talking to certainly didn't give the impression that they would have the same problem they had with P&O but perhaps they hadn't looked into it beyond the cruise they were on.

I am sure Cunard has the same restrictions as P&O now. So that would mean the Grills for us. Anyway Arcadia, QV/QE do not work for me as the cabins although larger do not allow the storage of scooters because of the wardrobes being by the door as you come into the cabin opposite the bathroom door.

It is easier if you can walk a little and use a wheel chair. But then you lose the independence of the scooter.

Gan Canny

Dai

8-)

Lynn S
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Lynn S »

towny44 wrote:
Since my wife's stroke it looks as though flying is now off the agenda, but we would still like to do some Caribbean cruises. So I checked out what P&O offer in the way of round trips from Southampton but find that most of their offerings are on non wheelchair freindly ships.

Adonia 3 HC cabins and even P&O comment that this ship may not be suitable for full time w/c users, Oceana 19 HC cabins only 1 balcony , and that's a suite and 12 are insides, Oriana no balcony cabins and only 8 outside HC cabins, Arcadia 18 HC balcony cabins but all of them much narrower than those on Azura/Ventura.

Hopefully when the new ship arrives at least one of the 3 bigger ships will remain in Southampton during winter and offer some Caribbean cruises which will better suit w/c users.
Totally agree with your assessment of available accessible cabins, towny44! We were hoping to book an accessible balcony cabin on a round trip Caribbean cruise out of Southampton with P&O, but it's looking very unlikely! Here's hoping for better things with the new ship!

Lynn

florrie135
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by florrie135 »

We went on arcadia christmas 2011 and had an inside accessable cabin near theatre not sure of number . Ann uses a manual chair there was plenty of room unlike oceana where we could only have twin beds. Also note in caribbean you cannot take even a manual chair on tours also they will not look after chairs while tour is away

Return to “Cruising for the Disabled”