The best book on cruising......

An area to discuss any books you have read, films that you have seen or television programmes

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Re: The best book on cruising......

Post by Dennis The Menace »

Lollie wrote:
My copy arrived today and is packed in my handbag ready for the plane to Faro on Saturday.
Great, and have a terrific hollie Lollie :-)

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Dancing Queen wrote:
Dennis The Menace wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions as to how to try and get the book onto the ships.

Fraid the library route was no good as they say they only do hardbacks.

However, I've been invited to send a book each to the 2 companies that provide the books to the onboard shops - mind you, they did also ask me to send in my Press Release!?! :shock: Maybe a copy of this thread might suffice :crazy:
Can't you get your local paper to do a piece on it, with facts and figures of how it's doing to date ?? would that be classed as a press release.
I've sent them the reviews from Amazon Jo, so hopefully that will do it :?:

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Meg 50 wrote:
would the 'blurb' about the book from amazon plus a few figures do?
Great minds think alike Meg :D

someone told me that, for self published books like mine, a (cruise ship) wholesaler will check the reviews on Amazon and Goodreads etc, so I printed them off and sent them.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Dark Knight wrote:
50 pages in and so far a good read :thumbup:
Thanks Kev, I've always thought the first 3 chapters aren't the best, so if you've enjoyed it so far, hopefully that bodes well :D

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Jean W wrote:
Mine arrived Saturday and I finished it last night.

Thank you DTM I've really enjoyed it - happy and sad - a good balance. It was well worth all of your hard efforts :clap:

Love to you both.
A 6 day read, thanks Jean that's a huge compliment in itself (takes me ages to read a book). Thanks for reading it and for being so positive about my reports over the years :D

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

My sick note arrived today but won't be taking any of medicine until July as l' saving it for our cruise. Hope it turns out to be just what the doctor orderd :)

Pleased to see your book is getting lovely commrnts.

Keith :wave:

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Thanks Keith, it's been a great week or so. :)

It's true what people say though re self publishing - there's just no way of letting people know it's there! At least not beyond a small group of friends and contacts like the forum.

Not knocking it though, it's been amazing, so glad I bit the bullet and published it. I am now familiar with the phrase "the writer's high" :)

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

DtM - do you get any feedback on how many are sold? If so can you share it with us

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Yes david, no problem.

94 kindles and 36 paperbacks in the first week with a big spike in those first three days (thanks again everyone who's read/reading it). That's amazing given that I have only mentioned it on the cruise forums that I did cruise reports on over the years, and on my recently acquired Facebook page.

I don't earn much of a cut which is fine (it was never a financial venture) but, beyond all expectation, I've now nearly broken even :-)

Realistically, there's little opportunity for a book like mine to get any widescale attention or take up, but I'm over the moon with this last week, and the amazing reviews some of you have been kind enough to write on Amazon.

Getting annoying now I know, but cheers everyone, not had a high like this for a long time

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

ach - stop apologising, you soppy date....

I start reading mine tomorrow!
Meg
x

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

I'll expect your refund request on Tuesday then Meg ;-)

AlexandraW
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by AlexandraW »

Hey Dennis, I have literally just ordered my copy ....i really cannot wait now. I noticed you "liked" one of my pictures on Facebook (with the figures on Azura!) I thought i recognised you from this forum, so came on here to check, realised it was you and saw some posts about the book, hence the order! :D

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Got it Thursday
finished it yesterday
an excellent tome :thumbup:
Nihil Obstat

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

AlexandraW wrote:
Hey Dennis, I have literally just ordered my copy ....i really cannot wait now. I noticed you "liked" one of my pictures on Facebook (with the figures on Azura!) I thought i recognised you from this forum, so came on here to check, realised it was you and saw some posts about the book, hence the order! :D
Hi Alexandra, yes that thread on Facebook was good fun - and nice piccies! I'm not really a FB regular, and not sure how most of it works, but I'm starting to realise it's just like another forum in some ways. I will friend you, poke you or whatever they call it if that's ok?

Thanks for getting the book, I really hope you enjoy it. Hope to see you on here and FB again :D

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Dark Knight wrote:
Got it Thursday
finished it yesterday
an excellent tome :thumbup:
Thanks DK, chuffed you enjoyed it :D

AlexandraW
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by AlexandraW »

Hi Dennis, got and accepted your friend request on FB, thank you. I recognise some of your friends as some of the regulars off here!
Looking forward to the book coming....see you soon on here and FB x :wave:

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Dennis The Menace wrote:
AlexandraW wrote:
Hi Alexandra, yes that thread on Facebook was good fun - and nice piccies! I'm not really a FB regular, and not sure how most of it works, but I'm starting to realise it's just like another forum in some ways. I will poke you or whatever they call it if that's ok?

Thanks for getting the book, I really hope you enjoy it. Hope to see you on here and FB again :D
Yes, Dennis, I think that's what we used to call it as well, but........ :shock:

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Yesterday was a lovely day down here in deepest darkest Kent, so I got out the recliner and finished the last 20%.

Well Dennis, all I say say it was that it was a lovely read.

I'll even confess that it bought a small tear to my eye at one stage (Mandy's section, you'll know what I mean) but don't want to spoil it for others.

Mrs Barney and I wish you and your lovely missus all the very best for the future and hopefully, someday, you'll be back to Top Knotch.

kind regards
Barney
Empty vessels .. and all that

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

AlexandraW wrote:
Hi Dennis, got and accepted your friend request on FB, thank you. I recognise some of your friends as some of the regulars off here!
Looking forward to the book coming....see you soon on here and FB x :wave:
Thanks Alexandra :D

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

kaymar wrote:
Dennis The Menace wrote:
AlexandraW wrote:
Hi Alexandra, yes that thread on Facebook was good fun - and nice piccies! I'm not really a FB regular, and not sure how most of it works, but I'm starting to realise it's just like another forum in some ways. I will poke you or whatever they call it if that's ok?

Yes, Dennis, I think that's what we used to call it as well, but........ :shock:
Steady on there K, poke means something totally different on Facebook :shock:

In fact, I'm not sure it's even used on Facebook anymore, so I'm a bit behind the times :lol:

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

barney wrote:
Yesterday was a lovely day down here in deepest darkest Kent, so I got out the recliner and finished the last 20%.

Well Dennis, all I say say it was that it was a lovely read.

I'll even confess that it bought a small tear to my eye at one stage (Mandy's section, you'll know what I mean) but don't want to spoil it for others.

Mrs Barney and I wish you and your lovely missus all the very best for the future and hopefully, someday, you'll be back to Top Knotch.

kind regards
Barney
Cheers Barney, really pleased you enjoyed it ( sorry about the sad bit !) :D

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

I do wish people would stop telling me what a good read your book is Dennis - I'm saving it for my cruise end of May and it's killing me ;)
Janis

JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

Jan Rosser wrote:
I do wish people would stop telling me what a good read your book is Dennis - I'm saving it for my cruise end of May and it's killing me ;)
I have not yet finished it as busy with house refurb... But what I have read is brilliant Janis.. I keep laughing out loud... Not long for you to wait now!
Jenni

AlexandraW
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by AlexandraW »

Good evening all,

"The book" is due to arrive tomorrow (woo hoo) and I would love to wait for my cruise, but, and it is a big BUT, it is 147 days away :thumbdown: however that means only one thing for this impatient sod! ....I am going to have to start it tomorrow night! :D

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Jan Rosser wrote:
Oh god Jan, I hope it lives up to the good press after all that ;)

Have a great cruise, and hopefully the book proves worth the wait :D

Return to “Book, Film & TV Club”