The best book on cruising......

An area to discuss any books you have read, films that you have seen or television programmes

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Re: The best book on cruising......

Post by Dennis The Menace »

Just checked ebay, I think those sellers are just online book stores offering every new book that comes on Amazon etc - thus the higher price so they can take their cut I guess!

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

JoanneB wrote:
Just found it on sale on ebay for £8 odd!!
So what am I bid for my slightly read copy? Shall we start at say £20? It's not signed by the author, but I'm happy to sign it with the signature of your choice if the price is right. :sarcasm:

But seriously, well done DTM. Now finished it and it was a good read. :thumbup:

I'm proud to see myself mentioned in it too. Not like some people by my actual name, but on page 153 when you refer to the Forum attracting "a few fruitcakes" I knew who you meant. I thank you for your discretion. :clap:

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
JoanneB wrote:
Just found it on sale on ebay for £8 odd!!
So what am I bid for my slightly read copy? Shall we start at say £20? It's not signed by the author, but I'm happy to sign it with the signature of your choice if the price is right. :sarcasm:

But seriously, well done DTM. Now finished it and it was a good read. :thumbup:

I'm proud to see myself mentioned in it too. Not like some people by my actual name, but on page 153 when you refer to the Forum attracting "a few fruitcakes" I knew who you meant. I thank you for your discretion. :clap:
Thanks Mervyn, :D

And you're not a fruitcake.

More of a Victoria Sponge ;)

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Have finally remembered how to post a photo in the gallery, so that picture of my book in New Zealand in now on show.

We're not cruising this year so if anyone takes the book onboard a ship/somewhere nice, please add a photo to the gallery if you can :)

Belle53
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Belle53 »

Just finished your wonderful book and really enjoyed it. An emotional read at times but laugh out loud funny at others. I do hope you will consider writing more, I would certainly be interested in reading it. You and Mandy come across as a lovely couple and I wish you all the best.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Thanks Belle, that's lovely and I'm really happy that you enjoyed it.

I would like to do another one, but it will be much smaller (cue small sighs of relief from both author and readers ;) )

Thanks again.

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

16 pages of shameless self promotion and plugging ??

Well done Menace :thumbup: :thumbup:
Nihil Obstat

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

News just in. I've heard Hollywood wants to buy the film rights, but it apparently depends on whether Daniel Craig and Angelina Jolie are available to play the lead roles. :crazy:

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Nahhh there could only be 'one star of the show' and that's the spikey haired fellow with the stripey jumper known affectionately as Dennis the Menace :thumbup:
Jo

Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray Scully »

Dark Knight wrote:
16 pages of shameless self promotion and plugging ??

Can you get it on Ebay?

Ray

Well done Menace :thumbup: :thumbup:

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
News just in. I've heard Hollywood wants to buy the film rights, but it apparently depends on whether Daniel Craig and Angelina Jolie are available to play the lead roles. :crazy:
Dancing Queen wrote:
Nahhh there could only be 'one star of the show' and that's the spikey haired fellow with the stripey jumper known affectionately as Dennis the Menace :thumbup:
Hey, if Angelina Jolie is in it then I'm damn well playing myself ! :crazy:

Ok, at a push, I'll settle for being Daniel Craig's body double in the love scenes :D

Actually, come to think of it, I already do that in Mandy's head :roll:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Crikey. I thought you had enough to contend with without Mandy having hallucinations as well!!!! :crazy:

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

You might call it hallucinations Mervyn.

In her online profile, Mandy called it "imaginative in the bedroom", which I understood to be something quite different ! :shock:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I get that too. Like when we're lying in bed and Trish says "Did you do the washing up?" That's imaginative. :crazy:

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

l knew l shouldn't have taken it away with me but thought l could just read a few pages then pick it back up again when on our cruise. Oops, started off reading September/October and before l knew it l was into March...then just kept going.

Not being a great reader of books l did wonder if your book would keep my interest....well Dennis you'll be pleased to hear it did and a very engaging book it was too

The blurb gives a vey good insight as to what to expect from the book but also leaves a few surprises...

Oh, and my wife said she's saving it for our forthcoming cruise :)

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Thanks very much Keefy, really chuffed it grabbed you like that. Hope your good lady enjoys it too. :)

I had a lot of help from friends with proof reading, editing and awful woman in particular insisting I put more and more uncomfortable "feelings" type rubbish in it :shock: but hopefully the final product is ok given it's just some barely literate oik self publishing his first (and probably only) book without any "professional" help or guidance.

It's looking increasingly like I won't be able to get the book on the ships (no reply = no thanks in literary circles I'm told) beyond the few copies some of the forum members took on themselves, but it's been a great few weeks with some great reviews posted and messages received - all of which I've printed off and will keep with my original draft :-)

Thanks for getting the book everyone, and thanks even more for reading the bleeding thing - 110,000 words is quite a commitment so cheers. :thumbup:
Last edited by Dennis The Menace on 18 May 2014, 19:45, edited 1 time in total.

rogerrovers
Cadet
Cadet

Post by rogerrovers »

Hi Dennis,
Thanks for the PM. Hope all is well with you. I too have your book which I shall read when I board Aurora on Sat.

Regards Jenny.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

My husband has read your book too, and has really enjoyed it.

I don't often read a book more than once, as there are so many good books out there, but I will return to your book.

I've got a possible health issue myself ( I have an MRI scan on 2nd June)' and at the time I started your book I was feeling a bit sorry for myself, but it was very heartening to read how you and Mandy coped, and, was actually rather inspiring. So - writing about feelings is good, it helped me anyway.
Gill

rogerrovers
Cadet
Cadet

Post by rogerrovers »

Hi Gill,

I hope all goes well for you on the 2nd June. I have had two MRI scans in the last two year, so I know how you feel.

Regards Jenny.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Thank you Jenny, that's very kind.

I'm hoping for the best, what they are looking for isn't life threatening or anything, but could be serious.

So I'd rather not have it.

When I know more, I think I'll post about it, as I think I'll need to ask for some suggestions and advice, whatever the outcome.

Don't want to hijack Dennis's thread or anything, but it was a genuine help to read about people coping with illness and carrying on cruising
Gill

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Wishing you well, Gill. I hope you get the news you hope for.
Gill

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

rogerrovers wrote:
Hi Dennis,
Thanks for the PM. Hope all is well with you. I too have your book which I shall read when I board Aurora on Sat.

Regards Jenny.
Thanks Jenny, hope it's a decent read.

And good to see you back on here. - don't leave it so long next time, :roll:

Have a great cruise :D

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Gill W wrote:
My husband has read your book too, and has really enjoyed it.

I don't often read a book more than once, as there are so many good books out there, but I will return to your book.

I've got a possible health issue myself ( I have an MRI scan on 2nd June)' and at the time I started your book I was feeling a bit sorry for myself, but it was very heartening to read how you and Mandy coped, and, was actually rather inspiring. So - writing about feelings is good, it helped me anyway.
Thanks Gill, I 'm so chuffed it helped a little bit. Those days before scans/ results are horrible aren't they? please try and stay positive and your mind occupied.

As Jenny and GillD have said, I really hope it goes ok on 2 June.

Take care

D

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Gill W wrote:
Thank you Jenny, that's very kind.

I'm hoping for the best, what they are looking for isn't life threatening or anything, but could be serious.

So I'd rather not have it.

When I know more, I think I'll post about it, as I think I'll need to ask for some suggestions and advice, whatever the outcome.

Don't want to hijack Dennis's thread or anything, but it was a genuine help to read about people coping with illness and carrying on cruising
Hijack away Gill, not a problem, I wasn't sure the book would help (beyond resulting in the occasional smile, I hoped) so if it did, then that's the best possible reason for writing the thing.

Keep smiling

Return to “Book, Film & TV Club”