wolf hall impressed or not?

An area to discuss any books you have read, films that you have seen or television programmes

Topic author
gilly88
Second Officer
Second Officer

wolf hall impressed or not?

Post by gilly88 »

how is every one getting on with wolf hall, I found it a bit slow getting going for the first two episodes but now on the fourth, its starting to get more interesting. think Mark Rylance is very good as Cromwell. Not too sure on Anne Boleyn though I had always had her down as a young beautiful girl but the actress who plays her doesn't fit my imagined Anne. still I am enjoying it so far.
regards gilly.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: wolf hall impressed or not?

Post by barney »

I like it :thumbup:
Empty vessels .. and all that

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Should be dispensed instead of sleeping pills ... far too drawn out for my liking :thumbdown:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Loving it. The change in character of Cromwell last night was brilliant, subtle and mesmerising.

Mark Rylance is excellent in his portrayal of Cromwell, even if his actual physical appearance is inaccurate compared to historical records and paintings.

Articles in the press have said that it is the truest interpretation ever of actual events, I don't know about that, except for the lighting aspect, but as long as you have some knowledge of events of that time, this take on it is fascinating. If you don't then it must all be a mystery. That said by one who dropped History for GCSE in favour of Geography! Even so, I do know what happened at that time and this is bringing it to life in a way other series on Henry V111 hasn't but again, this is about Cromwell.

Much preferred Damien Lewis in The Tudors, even if it was far fetched.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

OH seems to be enjoying it but I think I'll stick with my documentaries.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

I've always enjoyed history and this is a period I know quite well. As for the programme, well I do find it a bit slow and I know the idea of the candles was to make it as realistic as possible but I'd rather have decent lighting and forget about the realism. If it was that dark all the time I'm surprised more people didn't have food poisoning - how on earth did they see what they were doing?

I find Mark Rylance a bit lacking in facial expressions. He only seems to have one - unsmiling - with just the occasional hint of something that might be a smile - mind you no-one seemed to have much to smile about. I hadn't seen Anne Boleyn as quite as nasty as she is being portrayed - mind you she seemed desperate to be Queen - watch out what you wish for!

Carole

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I'm enjoying it, but it is a period in history that I know well.

It's a bit slow, as the characters seem to spend a lot of time just looking at each other, but I like it - the foul mouthed Duke of Norfolk is particularly entertaining.

I found the book quite difficult to read. The author referred to all the characters as 'he', hardly ever by name. I sometimes had to read sentences several times to work out which 'he' was being referred to. I've put off reading 'Bring Up The Bodies', as it won't be an easy read.
Gill

Return to “Book, Film & TV Club”