Aurora cruises in 2014

Topic author
Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Aurora Christmas Cruise 2014

Post by Romig1 »

Hi all.

We are currently considering Aurora's Christmas and New Year cruise for 2014, to The Canaries. I understand that NYE is fantastic in Madeira, but does anyone have any thoughts about the destination in general at that time of year, and the ship in general (which we've not yet been on).

We're thinking of an inside cabin, lowest grade available at time of booking - what are people's thoughts on these...and are there any good 'uns or bad 'uns to watch out for?

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Aurora Christmas Cruise 2014

Post by Manoverboard »

Aurora is a traditional and in our limited experience, just the two cruises in the past couple of years, a friendly and happy ship ... the buffet area is totally cr*p but is due, I understand, for a makeover pre end of 2014 but everything else is pretty much ok bar a few water leaks in the ceilings maybe ;).

To escape even part of the UK Winter is always a bonus but if we cruised this area at that time of the year we would do a fly cruise in and out of Teneriffe and skip the umpteen potentially cold and wet sea days.

Perhaps consider a large outside, if available, these have useful extra space with a sofa.

Enjoy the fireworks :thumbup:

ps ... friends have just completed a Canary cruise on NCL in and out of Barcelona, weather was kind but the ship was geared to the Asian market .... think Steak House with Chinese lanterns :sick:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Never done NYE in Madeira (on the bucket list) but from what I understand the experience can vary depending on where the ship is.

You can either be moored in the harbour or some way out at sea ready for a "quick getaway" (or the cynic in me saying that P&O are saving money :moresarcasm: )

The only experience that we have had, and it was nothing compared to NYE, was dining in Arcadian Rhodes when we had a late departure from Funchal one night and the view was spectacular - so for me it would need to be berthed in the harbour, but I suspect either way will still be an experience.

The Tinker
First Officer
First Officer

Post by The Tinker »

Qbman is doing this cruise this year - I am sure his report will inform you of all the 'highs and lows' :lol: :lol:

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Yep, will let you have a full update when we get back Romig. By the way, if it helps your planning, we are already booked on the 2014 Aurora jolly to the Canaries next Christmas !!

The Tinker
First Officer
First Officer

Post by The Tinker »

qbman1 wrote:
Yep, will let you have a full update when we get back Romig. By the way, if it helps your planning, we are already booked on the 2014 Aurora jolly to the Canaries next Christmas !!
Still time to consider your options then Romig :eh:

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

if Romig waits for the flood of cancellations after QB's announcement , he could get e right a right bargain
Nihil Obstat

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

qbman1 wrote:
... if it helps your planning, we are already booked on the 2014 Aurora jolly to the Canaries next Christmas !!
I believe other ships/cruise line are available :thumbup:

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

.....ah, but not with the same cameraderie and bonhomie !!

I guess it's Neil Turnbull's turn as skipper again next year so that is good entertainment value in itself !

Felix2
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Felix2 »

To briefly answer your question Romig. Just got back today from a cruise on Aurora. We had an awful inside cabin which was the worst due to ship droning noises. A235 it was tiny and noisy.

We were changed to D142 which was much better. I know people say that the cabin is only used for sleeping and changing but I really did miss not being able to see outside and would never have an inside again.

When I have re acclimatised I will write more about the cruise which was most enjoyable.

Topic author
Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Hi, and thanks for all the replies.

Felix, I wonder what exactly the droning noise was that you heard? I'm surprised that you had a problem so high up the ship - I wonder if it was due to the proximity of that cabin to the pool...maybe there was a plant-room nearby?

We think we'll be booking this cruise shortly - we have today dropped the bombshell to all the family that we are planning to be away next Christmas, so next job is to see which cabins are available - and if there are some slightly larger ones left. Try to book it before those people currently on Christmas cruises get round to rebooking for next year - which may drive the price up!

Watch out QB...we could be joining you again!

Felix2
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Felix2 »

The noise may partly have been from pool origin. The accommodation officer took us down to D deck and showed us an inside cabin in the same sort of position but the noise was still there although not as loud.

He then took us to an inside on the port side and this was totally different. It was peaceful just the gentle noise of the cabin a/c.

In the original cabin it was impossible to lay on the side as a constant hum and vibration came up through the pillow.

Wina G
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Wina G »

Woo hoo just booked it tonight, P&O were offering extra OBC as well as free parking :D

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Plenty of time to get your packing sorted Wina. :thumbup:

June1969
Cadet
Cadet

Post by June1969 »

:D Hi Romig,

We booked this cruise a couple of months ago, it ticks off a few things for me.
Holiday at Christmas, always been working until now
Madeira fireworks I've seen them in June when the trial runs are done but they really are superb at NYE
Aurora, always wanted to go on her and so this is a first time.

I spoke to someone who was there last year and they said being out in the bay off shore was the best place to watch from. As we are shown as being there on the morning of 1st January maybe we will still be moored.

I'm just looking forward to it so much.

jacksparrow
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jacksparrow »

Romig

I have just gotten off Aurora and yes the buffet isn't very good but you will be pleased to know that they do have a burger bar for your daily intake. I was in B241, the noise that one can hear is from the cleaning in the galley area, but it doesn't last for long.

I quite liked the ship, although it is a bit iggly piggly in places and there wasn't a lot of little ones on but you will be inundated for Christmas.

Anyways have a good one this year

Best wishes Jack x :crazy:
The pesky scarfaced pirate

Wina G
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Wina G »

Looks like Aurora is planned for a refit 3-19th December, P&O have scheduled a 2 nighter before the Xmas & New Year cruise presumably as a buffer in case the refit overruns :o ... does anyone know what's planned?

We've never been on Aurora before so probably wouldn't notice any changes, Freedom dining is planned to come in from 19th Dec 2014 ... we've booked club dining second sitting as usual :D

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

There are changes being made to the Library and Pooter area plus the Orangery Buffet, also a major revamp regarding the Select Dining Venues ( inc adding a Sindhu ) ... according to one's Butler in September.

:thumbup:

Wina G
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Wina G »

Manoverboard wrote:
There are changes being made to the Library and Pooter area plus the Orangery Buffet, also a major revamp regarding the Select Dining Venues ( inc adding a Sindhu ) ... according to one's Butler in September.

Would be extremely pleased with that MoB :clap:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Wina G wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:

Would be extremely pleased with that MoB :clap:
I thought you would .... also a Glasshouse I recall.

:wave:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Aurora is one of our favourite ships and Madeira one of our favourite destinations and the New Year fireworks are amazing.

We've seen them twice, once from Oriana and once from on land - the latter being great but nowhere near the experience from a ship.

P&O have a long standing relationship with Madeira and usually get the best berth, on the end of the harbour arm, front row, dress circle.

That's where we were on Oriana, and when we were there on land Queen Victoria was on that berth until midday, when Oriana turned up and took her place as she vacated to go to a mooring in the bay.

Yes it would still be fantastic seen from the bay, but that would mean other ships and the harbour arm itself blocking the view. Most of the fireworks are high in the air, but there are some lower down ones better seen from the front row.

And one final thought. It's all a matter of luck, but our December/January crossings of the Bay of Biscay were among the calmest we've ever had.

You'll have a wonderful time.

Wina G
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Wina G »

We loved the Glasshouse on Azura MoB :D

Thanks for that Mervyn and Trish, sounds wonderful :thumbup:

arcadialover
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by arcadialover »

We have just decided to book this cruise subject to TA confirming the cabin we want is still available.

Wina G
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Wina G »

arcadialover wrote:
We have just decided to book this cruise subject to TA confirming the cabin we want is still available.
Yay :wave:

arcadialover
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by arcadialover »

Not sure how accurate this is but just checked and it seems as if Aurora is the only ship in Madeira on New years eve. Can't think that is right, I just wonder if it means we are the only ship actually docked.

Return to “Aurora Cruises 2014”