A716 Iceland and Faroe Islands

Arrange to meet other members whilst on a cruise on Azura

Topic author
Popeye The Sailorman
Third Officer
Third Officer

A716 Iceland and Faroe Islands

Post by Popeye The Sailorman »

Oh well its a while off but time flies .... We couldn't resist as we both wanted to visit Iceland...
:lol: :lol:

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: A716 Iceland and Faroe Islands

Post by Boris+ »

I hope you enjoy Iceland as much as we do. If you are going to Reykjavik do try and walk into town, it's a lovely gentle walk. Please do try and be up and near at least a window (if not out on deck) if you venture into the Artic Circle at sea. Cameras are a big 'must'.

We found everyone to be extremely polite and kind, English widely spoken. We usually get out 'kit' from the sales at Mountain Warehouse - and it's a case of dressing in layers. DON'T FORGET THAT CAMERA. The first time you discover (onboard the ship) that it's midnight and virtually daylight - it's weired, but equally as weird is the view of the coastline - which for us was 'all white' .

We are going back shortly, but for you on that cruise - it's so worth waiting for. Have a great time.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Yes. we really liked Iceland too - even at 6 degrees and snowing in the middle of July whilst there was a heatwave at home !

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

We liked this cruise as well although, we had terrible weather make sure to take waterproofs and hopefully you won't need them.
As Boris said takes getting used to day light at midnight!

AnnCAgain
Cadet
Cadet

Post by AnnCAgain »

Look forward to reading the revue - we're doing a similar one on Azura in 2018.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

If you cross into the Arctic Circle at sea, there might be a midnight 'ceremony' / party!!! We did it - and it was great fun.

AnnCAgain
Cadet
Cadet

Post by AnnCAgain »

We got a certificate for doing so on Canberra, but no ceremony/party - but times have changed!

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

AnnCAgain wrote:
We got a certificate for doing so on Canberra, but no ceremony/party - but times have changed!
Not a lot - we just had the offer of a "certificate" on Arcadia a couple of years back. In practise, it was just another ploy by the photographers to sell us a picture dressed up as said "certificate". Sadly no party either.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

We had a certificate and photo - and the party involved some of the crew dressed up as Artic Gods. It was held by on outdoor pool, and large containers of ice were duly poured into the pool!!! After a suitable amount of 'bravery wine' had been consumed people took the plunge - and this was in the Arctic Circle, late at night!!

After the plungees emerged from the pool, there was the Kissing the Arctic Fish ceremony, and meeting the chief Arctic God for photos! I hasten to add that the pool was a bit heated, but that the ice poured in was the real thing!

However, being on the foredeck for the sailaway party out of Reykjavik felt a bit colder if anything, despite the lovely mugs of hot soup being served to the attendees. At both events we were jolly glad of the ski-type clothing we had with us.

Can't wait to get back - not long now for us.

Topic author
Popeye The Sailorman
Third Officer
Third Officer

Hi all
Thanks for all the replies and some great tips... We have been to the North Cape before... many moons
ago aboard the old Arcadia 2001 ish. Midnight sun was amazing especially in the Horizon Lounge on
that ship if anyone remembers it.. :D :D

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

I remember the old Arcadia, I really liked it. We went through the Panama canal on board her great experience:)

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

We would love to visit the Faroe Islands.

Iceland is an experience not to be missed.

Are you also going as far as Greenland? Temperatures there were forecast to be around 3 or 4 degrees but after our trip ashore, and peeling off lots of layers of clothing, we came back and sat on our balcony in shorts and T shirts, admiring all the nearby icebergs,(only 12 degrees C. outside but the balcony faced the sun) so, be sure to pack them, just in case!!! You may be as lucky in Iceland as we were in Greenland. :thumbup:

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

We thoroughly enjoyed Iceland. It was like somewhere we had never been before - waterfalls, bubbling mud, steam coming out of the ground, spectacular geysers, lava fields, moonscapes,thermal power and heated pavements!! What's that about? Sadly we were nowhere near the glaciers and snow capped mountains which were in total contrast to where we were. We went in the summer and temperatures were good even though we had taken warm clothing just in case. There had been reports that you could be pestered by mosquitoes so although we were prepared with Jungle Juice we didn't come across one. And someone was frying an egg on a rock but wary of the "Wet Paint do not touch" scenario we resisted the urge to find out for ourselves if the rock was hot or not! However if it's hot enough to fry an egg then it must be hot and we took their word for it.

P&O don't seem to go to Greenland any longer. In truth there's not a lot there although it was interesting. However the disembarking/boarding facilities were rather primitive so I wonder if that is the reason why it has been crossed off. Similarly I don't seem to have come across cruises to Svalbard and Ny Alesund. Whether that is for environmental reasons I don't know but that was a place I found equally fascinating.

I feel sure you and OO will have a great cruise.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

oldbluefox wrote:
P&O don't seem to go to Greenland any longer. In truth there's not a lot there although it was interesting. However the disembarking/boarding facilities were rather primitive so I wonder if that is the reason why it has been crossed off. Similarly I don't seem to have come across cruises to Svalbard and Ny Alesund. Whether that is for environmental reasons I don't know but that was a place I found equally fascinating.
OBF - The Oriana is going to Greenland and Iceland on 23rd July 2018 until 11th August and I am keeping an eye on it as it would be my 70th birthday cruise. It is calling at Nuuk and Qaqortoq and I would love to go as we also enjoyed Ny Alesund even though there isn't much there except incredible scenery. Unfortunately, insurance companies treat Greenland as 'worldwide' for the level of insurance and that can be quite high for my husband's heart condition. Also the cheapest cabin is showing as £1899 for 19 nights in an inside cabin so we are going to wait a while before we make a decision. Decisions, decisions.

We have been to Iceland twice and I would happily go again. Maureen.

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Kenmo 1.

Those are the two ports that we went to in Greenland. Not a lot to see, and no tours were offered, but the scenery is magnificent.... worth it for the icebergs alone. I do hope you get to visit.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Thanks for that Maureen. I agree with wolfie. I hadn't seen that cruise to Greenland. We found there was very little to do in Nuuk and Qaqortaq but it was interesting to witness a different way of life, made us appreciate what we take for granted. There were no excursions since, like Ny Alesund, these were rather remote ports. The icebergs were lovely and although there were whales about, yet again we didn't see any!!!

Topic author
Popeye The Sailorman
Third Officer
Third Officer

Two days to go .... Bon Voyage to anyone else going on this cruise... :D :D

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Have a truly wonderful time - we loved it on our first visit (albeit we prefer going earlier in the year), and we just can't stop going back! Hope you have a great cruise, and that you return home safely with a load of superb memories.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Popeye The Sailorman wrote: 14 Jun 2017, 20:12
Two days to go .... Bon Voyage to anyone else going on this cruise... :D :D
Have a great time - sorry we won't be with you this time!! My jolly jackets and bow ties will have to remain in the cupboard for another 4 weeks !!

Topic author
Popeye The Sailorman
Third Officer
Third Officer

Thanks for the replies guys.. sorry not been on here for a while. :oops: . The cruise was great but unfortunately had
to miss Reykjavik due to strong winds... :o Loved all the other ports of call Akureyri was a favourite and of course the Torshavn (Faroe
Islands).. Azura didn't disappoint ... food in the MDR was very nice especially with the latest rotation of menus..

Cheers

Popeye :wave:

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Not sure what your itinerary was - but did you get into Isafjordur? We loved Akureyri, it's such a lively little town; but I suppose our favourite has to be Reykjavik and we enjoy returning there.

Glad you had a great time, and got safely home.

Topic author
Popeye The Sailorman
Third Officer
Third Officer

Boris+ wrote: 18 Jul 2017, 18:28
Not sure what your itinerary was - but did you get into Isafjordur? We loved Akureyri, it's such a lively little town; but I suppose our favourite has to be Reykjavik and we enjoy returning there.

Glad you had a great time, and got safely home.
Hi yes we did go to Isafjordur and it was lovely but strong winds and plenty of rain spoilt it a little.. Need to go again now and try to get to Reykjavik :D There were lots of very disappointed people when we had to miss it.. Itinerary was .. Bergen - Alesund - Akureyri - Isafjordur - Reykjavik - Troshavn and finally Belfast.. :D :D

Cheers
Popeye

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

At the moment, Iceland is our favourite place - and we keep returning. Can't wait for the next trip! If you go back by air, Keflavik airport is really nice, but the drive into town can look a bit bleak.

Return to “The Meeting Place - Azura”