Internet Upgrade

Topics relating to P&O

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Internet Upgrade

Post by david63 »

Does anyone know where P&O are up to with the upgrade to the Internet service on their ships - Azura in particular.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Internet Upgrade

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Don't know for sure but it seemed better than previously on Aurora in June

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
You would know because there is a new pricing system. With the upgrade you pay per day rather than buying minutes.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
You would know because there is a new pricing system. With the upgrade you pay per day rather than buying minutes.
Do P&O offer any free minutes to any grade of Peninsular club or suite passengers.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

towny44 wrote:
Do P&O offer any free minutes to any grade of Peninsular club or suite passengers.
Not that I am currently aware of - but that may change come the revolution new Peninsular Club (or whatever name it becomes)

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

We paid minutes so must be old system still then.

AnnCAgain
Cadet
Cadet

Post by AnnCAgain »

I think a daily rate will be better. It takes all day to do anything.

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

towny44 wrote:
david63 wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:

No.

But Princess do 8-)

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

And so do Cunard. We got that after only two cruises

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Dennis The Menace »

david63 wrote:
Does anyone know where P&O are up to with the upgrade to the Internet service on their ships - Azura in particular.
Lets hope it' happens quicker than its taken them to upgrade their website :lol:

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
And so do Cunard. We got that after only two cruises
Indeed 8hrs per person if a Diamond member.
Gill

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

We had details of the new "more flexible better value" scheme today. And I'm not impressed. It might be better value for someone who wants to spend all their waking hours on their cruise glued to their iPad, but it certainly isn't for me.

We normally buy a package of an hour or two, depending on the length of the voyage, to give me ten minutes or so each day to quickly check emails and Facebook and Messenger for anything important. I can't remember what that cost last time - less than £30 I seem to think.

Under the latest "better value" deal it will cost £7.75 per day for a package that only allows access to Facebook, Messenger etc.

To access emails will cost £12.50 a day.

For full access £24.95 a day.

So to do what I do will now cost me £25 for two days, about what is used to cost for a week or two.

I guess it means I'll be buying 24 hours of use on a sea day once a week to do all the catching up in one go but I can't see how that is "more flexible" or "better value".

Let's hope when they review the loyalty scheme they starting chucking around some internet time for whatever level I am by then.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

I just don't use it at all on board now. Apart from the ridiculous cost, it is so slow and really not worth the hassle. On the very rare occasion that I feel the need to contact someone whilst I am away, I just text.

I have always been convinced that the internet speed is deliberately slowed down to bump up the charges. Of course, no one will admit to that !

Brenda W
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Brenda W »

Hello

We have returned from a cruise on Arcadia with the new internet charges in place. We waited until we were on board to buy the package and paid £62.50 for 14 days which came down with the discount. (This was half price) We We were able to check emails and get on google and facebook. This I believe is the middle package.

Brenda

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Hmmm - still a lot of money. Personally I would much rather blow that on three half-decent bottles of wine than spend hours on end goggling at Facecloth !

Hope you enjoyed the cruise Brenda - where did you go ?

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

qbman1 wrote:
I just don't use it at all on board now. Apart from the ridiculous cost, it is so slow and really not worth the hassle. On the very rare occasion that I feel the need to contact someone whilst I am away, I just text.

I have always been convinced that the internet speed is deliberately slowed down to bump up the charges. Of course, no one will admit to that !
Only used recently on Celebrity, who give loyal cruisers free time, I found that on sea days it was desparately slow, whilst on port days when most passengers were ashore it was quite fast. So, unless an expert disagrees, I assume that the number logged on will dictate the speed you receive.
John

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

towny44 wrote:
qbman1 wrote:

Only used recently on Celebrity, who give loyal cruisers free time, I found that on sea days it was desparately slow, whilst on port days when most passengers were ashore it was quite fast. So, unless an expert disagrees, I assume that the number logged on will dictate the speed you receive.
I'm beginning to think Merv's right - you really are on the Calamity payroll !

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

towny44 wrote:
... Only used recently on Celebrity, who give loyal cruisers free time, I found that on sea days it was desparately slow, whilst on port days when most passengers were ashore it was quite fast. So, unless an expert disagrees, I assume that the number logged on will dictate the speed you receive.
We were parked in Venice on Celebrity recently and using ( one's chum's ) free time in the I-Lounge it was so slow that it timed out while trying to book flight seats.

:thumbdown:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

qbman1 wrote:
towny44 wrote:
qbman1 wrote:

I'm beginning to think Merv's right - you really are on the Calamity payroll !
Poster boy is just jealous because P&O don't pay him royalties. :sarcasm: :clap:
John

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Who says they don't?

Brenda W
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Brenda W »

Hello again

We were on the Iceland cruise, very enjoyable, thanks for asking. Although we are over retirement age we have our own business so need to keep in touch with home. We didn't think £4.00 per day was a lot of money for piece of mind.

Brenda

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Brenda W wrote:
Hello again

We were on the Iceland cruise, very enjoyable, thanks for asking. Although we are over retirement age we have our own business so need to keep in touch with home. We didn't think £4.00 per day was a lot of money for piece of mind.

Brenda
Lovely - we were in Iceland on Arcadia a couple of years ago. Bloody freezing it was - but very nice with it ! The last thing I want to do on holiday is access my 'phone or pc unless it is an emergency but I can quite see if there is a need to keep in touch, your deal is well worthwhile.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I wouldn't argue with £4 a day, but the cheapest price quoted in the info I was sent is £7.75 for Facebook etc only. Doesn't even cover emails.

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

We never use the internet when we are on holiday, be it on a cruise or on land. So..............any changes to charges are immaterial to us.

Even if it was free internet access , we would still not use it.

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

wolfie wrote:
We never use the internet when we are on holiday, be it on a cruise or on land. So..............any changes to charges are immaterial to us.

Even if it was free internet access , we would still not use it.
We're the same. I keep my phone in the safe while on board and only check it once a day, usually early evening before going to dinner. I take it with us when going ashore in case a problem occurs.

Return to “P&O”