Topics relating to P&O

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Room Service

Post by david63 »

Just picked this up from FB.
From May 2017 please note that room service charges will apply on selected items.
https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/fleet/room_service

This seems somewhat strange as "selected items" have been chargeable for quite a few years. Only thing that I can think of is that either the prices are going up or they are starting to charge for more items.

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Room Service

Post by Happydays »

Your probably right. I don't think I've noticed the prices for room service changing for a while, maybe more people are using it.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Saw a comment the other day that RCI are starting to apply a room service charge of $7.75 for all room service deliveries.
That's what happens when accountants are given too much power.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

When we were on Aurora in December and went to the Caribbean Lunch we were sat with Cathy Jones - the Executive Purser, or whatever new title they have, and we were chatting about the new menus in the MDR that had been introduced. She mentioned to us that the Room Service Menu was the next thing that was being redone. As has been said there have always been items on the menu that have attracted an extra charge - like smoked salmon, and one thing that we quite liked, the Chicken and Bacon Baguette. The Room Service Menu could certainly do with being up-dated.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

When we 'ate in' on Cunard, we could select from the Grills menu, but on Celeb, if we wanted to have dinner in our suite, we couldn't select from the Luminae menu - which we found a bit strange. However what was delivered was superb, and the service was just a bit better than Cunard or P&O.

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Just had an email about this:
... we wish to make you aware of the introduction of a new room service menu, which will be available to you on board.

Designed to bring you greater flexibility and more options for casual dining, the new menu features both British and global classics plus a range of healthy options, snacks and desserts. While the majority of items are chargeable, room service will continue to offer excellent value with small plates from just £1.25 and large plates (main meals) at £4.75 – all delivered to your door for no additional service charge. Continental breakfast (plus an additional hot breakfast option*) is still included in your holiday price – great for that long lie in you’ve been promising yourself.

The new menu will be introduced across the fleet* between May and July 2017 so you could be amongst the first to try our new dishes.

*Please note that while Oriana’s menu will be similarly enhanced, the dishes on offer will vary as her galley operations allow for provision of cold dishes only
So this looks as if there are going to be more "chargeable" items on the room service menu - in fact the way that I read it, it sounds as if almost everything (except breakfast) will be chargeable.

The bean counters have been at work again - this time literally!

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Yes the new menu only has chargeable items, except for breakfast which is still free and now has a warm Sausage, Bacon & Tomato Panini option.

This is the link to it on the website:-
file:///C:/Users/John/Downloads/AU_AZ_BR_OC_VE_service%20(1).pdf
John

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

david63 wrote: 05 May 2017, 10:58
Just had an email about this:
... we wish to make you aware of the introduction of a new room service menu, which will be available to you on board.

Designed to bring you greater flexibility and more options for casual dining, the new menu features both British and global classics plus a range of healthy options, snacks and desserts. While the majority of items are chargeable, room service will continue to offer excellent value with small plates from just £1.25 and large plates (main meals) at £4.75 – all delivered to your door for no additional service charge. Continental breakfast (plus an additional hot breakfast option*) is still included in your holiday price – great for that long lie in you’ve been promising yourself.

The new menu will be introduced across the fleet* between May and July 2017 so you could be amongst the first to try our new dishes.

*Please note that while Oriana’s menu will be similarly enhanced, the dishes on offer will vary as her galley operations allow for provision of cold dishes only
So this looks as if there are going to be more "chargeable" items on the room service menu - in fact the way that I read it, it sounds as if almost everything (except breakfast) will be chargeable.

The bean counters have been at work again - this time literally!
Do we take it the ovens on Oriana are broken ?! Should we chip in for a microwave ?

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Just had a look at the new Room Service Menu and yes all items apart from breakfast have a charge. There is certainly much more variety in what is offered and I would have thought that those who like to use Room Service will like the new offerings, allowing for the fact that they will have to pay which they won't have to do if they go to the buffet or main restaurant. We have often used Room Service for lunch, especially if we were back late from a morning excursion and were too late for the main restaurant and didn't fancy what was on offer in the buffet (never go to the buffet if I can help it) so for us I'm pleased to see that there is much more choice. I wonder if they've allowed for the fact that they might need more Room Service Stewards - if the new menu is popular of course.

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

qbman1 wrote: 05 May 2017, 11:19
I wonder if they've allowed for the fact that they might need more Room Service Stewards - if the new menu is popular of course.
My guess would be that they will need less as there will be many who will refuse to pay extra.

Of course one way around this is to have a suite where your butler will bring you anything off the MDR menu :P :P

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

david63 wrote: 05 May 2017, 12:43
qbman1 wrote: 05 May 2017, 11:19
I wonder if they've allowed for the fact that they might need more Room Service Stewards - if the new menu is popular of course.
My guess would be that they will need less as there will be many who will refuse to pay extra.

Of course one way around this is to have a suite where your butler will bring you anything off the MDR menu :P :P
But then that makes it a costly room service..?
Mel

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Never have room service, nor breakfast in the main dining room. I like to pick and choose what goes on my plate at breakfast even if it is a bit of a scrum at times, not have someone just serve up fatty undercooked bacon, anaemic looking sausages and a snotty egg. :thumbup:
Last edited by Stephen on 05 May 2017, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

We often use room service for lunch on a hot sea day whilst sat on our balcony. I object to paying extra for food we have already paid for in the cruise cost. Maybe I will put less weight on on our next cruise as I won't use the buffet and only use the MDR at lunchtime if in cold weather.

I can understand them putting a 'tray charge' on for delivery but it is very cheeky to charge for food we have already paid for.

Sue

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I totally agree with Sue.

Lindsey

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

Suekersh wrote: 05 May 2017, 14:56
We often use room service for lunch on a hot sea day whilst sat on our balcony. I object to paying extra for food we have already paid for in the cruise cost. Maybe I will put less weight on on our next cruise as I won't use the buffet and only use the MDR at lunchtime if in cold weather.

I can understand them putting a 'tray charge' on for delivery but it is very cheeky to charge for food we have already paid for.

Sue
As we don't eat lunch, apart from the Baltic one and then no breakfast on that day, we don't eat all the food we have paid for anyway.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

daib GC wrote: 06 May 2017, 18:18
As we don't eat lunch, apart from the Baltic one and then no breakfast on that day, we don't eat all the food we have paid for anyway.
Sounds like a good case for some compo Dai. :sarcasm: :lol:
John

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Many room service items have to be prepared separately and that takes space and person time ... there cannot be any argument about making a payment. For those who believe that they have already paid then the MDR or the buffet is for them.

American ships require a ' tip ' for the person who delivers one's room service order so why should P&O do it for free, albeit at extra cost to them.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I'm in agreement with suekersh.
We often have lunch on our balcony on nice days.
We always tip the waiter for bringing it up but always felt that as it was 'paid for' as part of the cost, as is all other food, excluding the supplement venues.
Now it's down to choice of paying extra or not, I expect I'll ask Mrs Barney to go up to the grab and go to get me something.
Thinking about it, I don't think we have ever had lunch in the MDR so theoretically P&O owe me a fortune. :lol:

I'd guess that this will backfire and it will become a very under used service.
Last edited by barney on 07 May 2017, 12:02, edited 2 times in total.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

barney wrote: 07 May 2017, 12:00
I'd guess that this will backfire and it will become a very under used service.
That is probably what they are aiming for.

Return to “P&O”