Compensation

Topics relating to P&O

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Compensation

Post by david63 »

There are rumours on FB that if you ask you get compensation for the "double charge" debacle - anyone tried it yet.

Might give it a go - as they say "If you don't ask you don't get"!!

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: Compensation

Post by towny44 »

I had 2 e-mails from P&O apologising for the double hold on my account, but no trace of anything on my bank statement, do you think I could get compo as well? :sarcasm:
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

towny44 wrote: 01 Jun 2017, 23:09
I had 2 e-mails from P&O apologising for the double hold on my account, but no trace of anything on my bank statement, do you think I could get compo as well? :sarcasm:
I'm the same - I had the e-mail saying there was a double charge but that nothing would show on my bank account and indeed it didn't

Am I entitled to compo for not being charged twice, which would have thus entitled me to compo ?!

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Didn't affect me but the compo claim is in anyway......and I only just beat Merv to the letter box :lol:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

And I wasn't even affected. I'm claiming for the BA breakdown too.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I missed that one. Do you have a spare form

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

In the post mate. You just need to fill the how much question
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 02 Jun 2017, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

I got the emails and it looked like there was a reservation of money on one of my accounts but overall it had no real impact on me. I actually thought Carnival handled this situation quite well in keeping people informed and trying to mitigate ACTUAL issues people may have had.

Looking at Facebook it appears some people were grossly over-reacting and making silly statements - we have an indemnity system and legislation that means any actual losses people occur will be refunded.

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Kendhni wrote: 11 Jun 2017, 08:03
I actually thought Carnival handled this situation quite well in keeping people informed and trying to mitigate ACTUAL issues people may have had.
I have to disagree with you on that point Ken - I believe that it was badly handled by everyone involved.

1. It took Carnival over 24 hours to alert customers of the problem and then only the "we are working at the highest level to resolve it" reply to any query.

2. Evalon could have been more proactive in resolving the issue.

3. Some (most?) of the banks did not seem to know/understand the problem - my guess being that the "highest level" were not passing the information down to the "coalface"

I was affected in that an amount was "ring-fenced" on my account. I rang the bank on the Friday afternoon and eventually spoke to someone in the fraud department who cancelled it straight away - so it was possible to sort the problem out without all of the hassle that Carnival/Evalon created for themselves.

I think that what it did highlight though was the shortcomings of our banking system which is basically still working in the 20th (if not 19th) century.
Kendhni wrote: 11 Jun 2017, 08:03
Looking at Facebook it appears some people were grossly over-reacting and making silly statements
With that I would agree
Last edited by david63 on 11 Jun 2017, 08:53, edited 1 time in total.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

I guess we will have to agree to disagree, David.

1. the email seemed to come out in 24 hours - that is quick. it was also very reassuring in that it stated that there was no data breach and the issue was being addressed. The only thing that I would have liked to have seen in the email was a reference that it may take up to 7 days to 'work its way through the system' and any provable losses would be reimbursed.
2. I don't know what the issue was so cannot say whether or not Evalon could have been proactive ... unforeseen things will always be unforeseen but obvious in hindsight
3. I am inclined to agree with you here. I am guessing (from years ago working on various bank IT systems - so I agree about antiquated systems) that the powers-that-be decided it would be quicker (and cheaper) to let this work its way through the system rather than divert a team to try to apply a fix to reverse this (the cadence would probably have been longer by the time the rules determined and the code was written, tested, scheduled and executed).

However, if an individual phones up, then it is easy for the call centre agent to deal with that individual instance of the problem - which is pretty much what the original email suggested doing.

An error occurred, and apart from having prevented the error in the first place (which I am sure they have now made sure the same error will not happen again) I am not sure what more Carnival/P&O could have done.
Last edited by Kendhni on 11 Jun 2017, 09:05, edited 2 times in total.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

My email came and said that my pending transaction had already been reversed. Not so! And it took quite some time, so I wrote and told them they were wrong to say it had been reversed and that it wouldn't affect my account at all. It was for a large sum and definitely affected my available balance - by some considerable amount.

I didn't ask for compensation, it didn't even occur to me, but I was cross about the misinformation. I have been awarded some OBC on the relevant cruise anyway.
Last edited by GillD46 on 11 Jun 2017, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.
Gill

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

we weren't affected, but I feel for those whose credit rating took a hit - that can have knock on effects for years
Meg
x

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

I am not sure that many people's credit rating would have been affected by this and those that have can ask for it to be removed

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

david63 wrote: 11 Jun 2017, 14:20
I am not sure that many people's credit rating would have been affected by this and those that have can ask for it to be removed
probably very true, but if you believe everything you read on FB.............. everyone's has!!!!!!!!!!!
Meg
x

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

I bet that most of those complaining about their credit rating don't even know what their credit rating is!

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

l got a free cruise by way of compensation ...just saying :D :thumbup:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I wasn't involved in this (though don't mention that to those handing out compo) and my gut feeling was that the invisible company handling the payments for Carnival were actually to blame. However cruises were booked with P&O etc so it was up to them to handle the fall out. And the fact this topic is still going strong suggests they didn't do terribly well. Otherwise we'd have seen a flurry of well done posts and that would have been it days ago.

Now where's my freebie......

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Meg 50 wrote: 11 Jun 2017, 14:11
we weren't affected, but I feel for those whose credit rating took a hit - that can have knock on effects for years
Nobody's credit rating will take a hit because of the indemnity process in place. Any actual losses must be refunded and that would include any 'marks' on any credit reports.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Onelife wrote: 11 Jun 2017, 16:13
only 1 .. I got a free world cruise every year even including 5 years after I have popped my clogs (although they added a stipulation that I mustn't smell too badly ... not sure if they meant before or after I had gone to meet my maker.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Kendhni wrote: 11 Jun 2017, 17:44
Onelife wrote: 11 Jun 2017, 16:13
only 1 .. I got a free world cruise every year even including 5 years after I have popped my clogs (although they added a stipulation that I mustn't smell too badly ... not sure if they meant before or after I had gone to meet my maker.
Hi Ken,

Not wishing to play the oneupmanship card but l also got a table for eight (all to myself) thrown in...

...Probably had something to do with me smelling as badly as wot you do :lol:

P.s hope you and yours are keeping well.

:wave:

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

We didn't seek compensation for a situation that arose on one of our cruises. However, after filling in the usual after cruise questionnaire, we were contacted by the cruise line and asked to provide more information. We did so and were given almost a 4 figure sum in future OBC, or future cruise booking, and, in the event that we could not use this, a generous cash amount, in place of this. I did wonder why they had been so generous without even us submitting a letter of complaint but, apparently, their investigations into on board ship's logs substantiated what had happened. I wondered why, but can only suppose that, that if we had gone to the press, or health and safety regarding this matter, it would have been a whole lot worse for the company. Hush money?!

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

wolfie wrote: 12 Jun 2017, 22:55
We didn't seek compensation for a situation that arose on one of our cruises. However, after filling in the usual after cruise questionnaire, we were contacted by the cruise line and asked to provide more information. We did so and were given almost a 4 figure sum in future OBC, or future cruise booking, and, in the event that we could not use this, a generous cash amount, in place of this. I did wonder why they had been so generous without even us submitting a letter of complaint but, apparently, their investigations into on board ship's logs substantiated what had happened. I wondered why, but can only suppose that, that if we had gone to the press, or health and safety regarding this matter, it would have been a whole lot worse for the company. Hush money?!
possibly, but OH's cousin had a problem on a P&O cruise and complained onboard (very quietly to the right dept....) and was given substantial compo when onboard, "Because they complained in a dignified manner and didn't shout from the housetops"
Meg
x

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Our table companions on our last cruise had a problem with a flooded cabin. They were very well treated and got decent compo and then got more when it became apparent they weren't moaning about it round the ship.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 13 Jun 2017, 14:15
Our table companions on our last cruise had a problem with a flooded cabin. They were very well treated and got decent compo and then got more when it became apparent they weren't moaning about it round the ship.
precisely - "tain't what you says, tis the way what you says it!"
Meg
x

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Meg 50 wrote: 13 Jun 2017, 07:14
wolfie wrote: 12 Jun 2017, 22:55
possibly, but OH's cousin had a problem on a P&O cruise and complained onboard (very quietly to the right dept....) and was given substantial compo when onboard, "Because they complained in a dignified manner and didn't shout from the housetops"
Yes Meg, I was cool and calm, I don't do shouting, usually gets a result more quickly. It was lack of communication in this instance and a change of deck manager who did not did not pass the problem on to his successor. That wasted a couple of days.

After a week advising the steward, deck steward, reception, and finally the hotel services manager it was sorted out within a few hours the same day. Perhaps I should have made more of it at the time.

Return to “P&O”