Second Officer
Second Officer

UK to Malta 22/6/17

Post by bassman67 »

Re: CMV Columbus
Report this post
Quote

Post by barney » 26 Jul 2017 14:28

I told my friend to expect a very different experience on a November Canaries cruise with P&O to the Indy of the Seas.
The demographic will be very different but they are open minded about it.
I did say that at 60 & 58, they may well be the youngest on board :lol:

We enjoyed Oceana, Gill and would happily sail on her again.

I'd love bassman to tell us what happened between the airport and the ship.

This is the response to Barney's request put back in the right place.
We were booked on Thomas Cook MT1186 Charter Economy from LGW. As nothing had been said to the contrary, we had assumed that this was a bonded flight, just like previous trips to the Caribbean. There was even a dedicated check-in desk for P&O Cruises. The e-ticket said "After your arrival at the airport(MALTA), you will be met by our local P&O Cruises representatives and transferred to the ship. Porterage for up to 2 bags per person and all local taxes are included"
This did not happen. For a start, the flight was not a charter for P&O, it was a scheduled TC holiday flight and 75% of the passengers were TC holidaymakers going to Malta. It finally flew out 1.5 hours late. We were decanted in into a crowded arrival area with no P&O staff in sight and after passport control we had to find our luggage on the carousel. There was no porterage offered, and we literally struggled with our suit cases and hand luggage to the exit where there were some people waving P&O boards. We were told to take our cases to the coaches, where they were grabbed by a coach driver and put on board. The coach then left without us. We were told don't worry, get the next one, they're all going to the same place. At the end of the coach journey, we joined yet another queue for the check-in procedure, just like Southampton. We then had to walk another 400 m to the ship, carrying our hand luggage. We boarded at 8.45pm, so late that the muster drill was rescheduled for 9.30. We were finally able to grab some food at around 10.45 in the buffet. (Hats off to the catering crew, by the way!). When I made a formal verbal complaint about the chaotic lack of organisation, the misrepresentation of the "charter flight" and the lack of promised assistance, I was told by the Loyalty Manager that "I should have had an email about it". I'm still waiting, and that's one reason why I'm going with CMV next year. From our experiences, nothing has changed about the fly-cruise journey since April!

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: UK to Malta 22/6/17

Post by barney »

That sounds ridiculously unorganised bassman and I don't blame you for complaining.
Hope they acknowledge and you get some recompense.

Shambles like that is why we rarely fly these days. I just don't want the aggro.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Organised chaos bassman67. Not good enough.

Definitely worth a compo claim.

I would email your complaint to this person George.Colvin-Slee@carnivalukgroup.com and see what response you get.

Topic author
bassman67
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by bassman67 »

I hardly think that any compensation would be offered. It would have been good to get an apology, but that didn't happen. It's the lack of concern that bothered me and the concentration on the new breed of cruisers, to the exclusion of us regular customers. The new ethos seems to be" don't waste effort on the 70+ brigade, they'll soon be past it."

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I think that sums it up. P and O say they are focused on their passengers but sometimes they can't see the wood for the trees. They can sometimes be very inflexible.

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

Hi bassman (or anyone else who has done a Malta fly-cruise) If its a Thomas Cook flight and you get taken by coach to the ship is the area where you embark, and presumably get your ships keycard, undercover in a building ?

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

we flew under the same arrangements last summer too.
we were told at check in that we would have to collect our luggage from the carousel and take it to the coach. There were reps at the arrivals gate. Clearly a bad day at the airport.
The later stuff - queues for check in at the port were the same though....
Meg
x

Mamil1
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Mamil1 »

We did Oceana fly cruise from Malta August 2017.Jet2 flight from Newcastle,collected luggage at Malta,found P&O rep who directed us to coach.Short journey to Oceana,checked in(undercover).Having a beer by 13:00.All very smooth.👌.

Return to “P&O”