Summer 2019

Topics relating to P&O

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Summer 2019

Post by Stephen »

GillD46 wrote: 05 Sep 2017, 13:17
Nothing that grabs me from Cunard or P&O, so we'll look elsewhere and have some land holidays as well.
Lyme Regis looks nice

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Ever since I started cruising, there's been a 24 night cruise in September (although it was a few days shorter right at the beginning) that goes to New York, Boston, Quebec and some other USA and Canadian ports. I've noticed that they've changed the itinerary for 2019, and the American ports have been dropped, and it solely goes to Canada.
Gill

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

That's a shame - we were looking to do the September North America one at some point

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Cunard usually do a very nice New England in the fall cruise

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Stephen wrote: 05 Sep 2017, 14:57
Nothing that grabs me from Cunard or P&O, so we'll look elsewhere and have some land holidays as well.
Lyme Regis looks nice
Great idea, but we've just booked Borneo instead.
Gill

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

GillD46 wrote: 05 Sep 2017, 18:31
Stephen wrote: 05 Sep 2017, 14:57
Lyme Regis looks nice
Great idea, but we've just booked Borneo instead.
I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself, we went there a few years ago stayed at Kota kinabalu and went to see the Orangutans at Sepiloc (hope you understand where I mean!)
It was a wonderful experience :) we also had other trips.
Last edited by Happydays on 05 Sep 2017, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Happydays wrote: 05 Sep 2017, 19:21

I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself, we went there a few years ago stayed at Kota kinabalu and went to see the Orangutans at Sepiloc (hope you understand where I mean!)
Yes we have booked the Shangri La Rasa Ria and plan to fly over to the other side to see the orangutans. We're really looking forward to it.
Gill

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

We've got 2018 sorted out, and not rushing to book 2019 hoping we'll be busy doing house project things.

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 04 Sep 2017, 14:09
Await response with interest.
Still trotting out the "party line" I see

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Any of you P&O experts have an opinion on the suitability of Aurora for a wheelchair user compared to the big three. It does seem to do more interesting Med itineraries than the big ones, although its pricing is always significantly higher.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Can't speak from personal experience but we have met a severely disabled lady on a number of cruises on both Arcadia and Aurora. Aurora is her absolute favourite. She is a full-time wheelchair user and she would spend much of her time during the day on board alone (partly to give her husband a break !) and she never had a problem accessing any facilities or parts of the ship. We did visit their cabin on Aurora and is seemed to me to be an ideal set up for her.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

No experience as a user Towny but we've seen plenty of wheelchair users on board

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

We have been on Aurora twice and it's fast becoming one of our favourites. It's probably more accessible than the bigger ships like Azura or Ventura where you have to get the lift or stairs and along to another lift or stairs to get to some of the other decks. But at the end of the day a lift is a lift and they all have them.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

There were some severely disabled people on Aurora when I was on her a few weeks ago - to be honest some of the worst I have seen but taking a peek into one of their rooms as I was passing along they had so much space - I think there is more room in the corridors and around the ship generally and of course they have a super wide promenade deck too. Personally I really like Aurora - I found her a happy ship.
Janis

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Not to self - must read Blod's posts more carefully. At first glance I thought that said " I found her a hippy ship"

"Right up Blod's street", I thought !!

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Next year, 2018 may be our last cruise holiday for the foreseeable future as I've decided to retire early.
We have sold up in Kent and are moving to North Devon.
A small place called West Yelland which is between Bideford And Barnstaple.
The place we've bought needs a bit of work so I expect I'll be busy for a while, sorting this out.

So, as nothing tremendous for 2019 has jumped out at me, I won't book early as we normally do.

Come the time, we'll probably look at a few Saver fares as we did on our last one, which was a great success.
Empty vessels .. and all that

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Good luck for the future Barney, moving to a lovely part of the country, retirement i can deffo recommend.
Mel

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

barney wrote: 06 Sep 2017, 13:03
Next year, 2018 may be our last cruise holiday for the foreseeable future as I've decided to retire early.
The place we've bought needs a bit of work so I expect I'll be busy for a while, sorting this out.

So, as nothing tremendous for 2019 has jumped out at me, I won't book early as we normally do.

Come the time, we'll probably look at a few Saver fares as we did on our last one, which was a great success.
Nice - long way to go for the Gill's home games though !

Hope the move goes well

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

qbman1 wrote: 06 Sep 2017, 13:24
barney wrote: 06 Sep 2017, 13:03

Nice - long way to go for the Gill's home games though !

Hope the move goes well
We will be almost halfway between Bideford Town and Barnstaple Town - both play in the Dog & Duck League.
Apparently when it's the local derby, dozens turn up. :lol:
I'm pretty sure that Plymouth away will be my most local Gillingham game.
Hopefully Exeter will get promoted.

I shall pass my ST on to my mate who I go with and he can use as he sees fit but I will still be back up regularly to see the family, so will arrange my trips around the fixture list. :D

As I said, cruising holidays will probably go on the back burner for a little while.
We will only be 800 yards from the beach at Instow, so every day will be a holiday.
We've even bought bikes to ride the Tarka Trail, which is at the end of the road.
Empty vessels .. and all that

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Sounds lovely - you'll have straw in your hair, hold your trousers up with bag string and be drinking scrumpy in no time at all !!

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

qbman1 wrote: 06 Sep 2017, 14:45
Sounds lovely - you'll have straw in your hair, hold your trousers up with bag string and be drinking scrumpy in no time at all !!

I do that already, but I use the straw FOR hair :D

Love Devon, although we prefer the South.

All the best with the move barney
Last edited by Stephen on 06 Sep 2017, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hope all goes well with moving, just keep hold of the kettle. You'll be cruising again before you know it.

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

GillD46 wrote: 05 Sep 2017, 22:17
Happydays wrote: 05 Sep 2017, 19:21

Yes we have booked the Shangri La Rasa Ria and plan to fly over to the other side to see the orangutans. We're really looking forward to it.
That's the same hotel we stayed at :clap:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Emailed to Christopher Edington at P&O.

"Dear Mr Edgington

I wonder if you are able to provide the straight answer that appears to elude your social media team?

We had been hoping to book a cruise on Adonia in 2019 but the ship has failed to appear on the Internet or in the brochure at your Summer 2019 launch.

The only response to questions is that itineraries are being finalised and will be released later in the year.

That is exactly the story that was told ahead of the announcement that she was going to Fathom.

As you will be aware it is very bad PR to be caught out lying to loyal customers. Being frank, even with bad news, is better for a company's reputation.

So please may I have a simple "yes" or "no" answer. Will Adonia be part of the P&O Cruises UK fleet for 2019? Then we can get on with our holiday planning and not have to wait until all the best deals for alternatives have gone."

I'll let you know his reply.

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

I'm not going to hold my breath ;)

Return to “P&O”