Early or what ?

Arcadia cruises in 2015

Topic author
barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Early or what ?

Post by barney »

In view of the old cruising adage, book early or late but never in between, I spontaneously booked a cruise yesterday for ... wait for it, 8th November 2015.
We haven't even had this years holiday yet :problem:

So, another bit of winter sun is on the way and plenty of time to look forward to it.

Canary islands on our favourite Arcadia again. I've bagged an aft cabin, E191 which is next door to our cabin on a previous cruise which we loved.
We just love the huge balcony that is part shade, part sun, so the best of both worlds.
Mrs Barney loves it because it has a proper bath and a sofa. She prefers breakfast in the cabin most days (Eggs Benedict days excepted).

I'm also curious to see it since the refit. Our favourite sunbathing spot at the back of the Crows Nest is now new cabins

Now, for the last few, I've gone direct with P&O but noticed an agent Cruise Village doing it a bit cheaper (£54 for the two of us) so booked with them.
They are ABTA etc. and seemed pretty professional. I guess that they are passing on some of their commission.

We're also giving freedom dining a go for the first time.

For the first time on holiday, it will be my birthday on board so I'm expecting the "happy birthday clap clap song" :thumbup:

So, happy with the destination, happy with the cabin, happy with the price. You won't hear me complaining about late saver fares ;)
Empty vessels .. and all that

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Early or what ?

Post by david63 »

It's the old story - if you want something specific and you are happy with the price then go for it, otherwise waiting means that somewhere you will be disappointed as it will not be exactly what you want.

Have to agree about Arcadia's aft cabins and if you want one then you probably need to book early

gravy1955
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by gravy1955 »

Well I just booked one for Jan 2016 - a spur of the moment thing :crazy: Haven't told other half yet ! :-S

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

Sorry not in the same league. We booker for Ventura to the Caribbean Jan 16, in April, that's 21 month ahead of time.

Is that the same one as you gravy1955, 28 nights. Had to be done.

Gan Canny

Dai

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

That could well be booked. :)

gravy1955
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by gravy1955 »

daib GC wrote:
Sorry not in the same league. We booker for Ventura to the Caribbean Jan 16, in April, that's 21 month ahead of time.

Is that the same one as you gravy1955, 28 nights. Had to be done.

Gan Canny

Dai
No, we ( or possibly just me when my wife finds out) are on the Oriana

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Well done Barney in securing the cabin you wanted.

Booking early to us is as soon as the brochure comes out because this gives us an extra 5 % off the brochure prices, so we booked up to March 2016 back in April. People think we are mad but we got the cabin we wanted, dinner sitting we wanted and have a long time time to plan it,

Sue

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We have booked 23 months ahead several times.
Gill

The Tinker
First Officer
First Officer

Post by The Tinker »

We booked a year ahead to go to USA and Canada - like David etc we wanted an aft cabin and it is still my favourite cruise and one I would go on again if I had the chance. :thumbup:

Topic author
barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Blimey! I'm a lightweight compared to you lot :lol:

At least I had the decency to inform Mrs Barney in advance even though she was at work when the dirty deed was done. :wave:

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

I paid a deposit for the Maiden on QM2 when it was still on the drawing board which must have been about 4 years in advance possibly longer, it was fully refundable which was just as well as we didn't do it, the reason ... because it sailed early January and as we always do Xmas it wasn't an option to do both ( financially ) plus from what I remember the itinerary wasn't that great so not worth giving Xmas up for although I do regret not doing it now !!
Jo

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

We book early to secure an accessible cabin, but it is nice when the price turns out to be a good one compared to later offers, which is normally the case with Celebrity, but seldom with P&O.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Not so ancient mariner
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Not so ancient mariner »

Our time gap between booking and sailing ranges from just 23 days, to a year and 4 months.

Topic author
barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I had a e-mail from P&O telling me about their latest deals and it said book a certain cruise before Feb 28th to get an additional £135 OBC

Well, I thought to myself. I booked before Feb 28th so I'll call to claim my OBC. ;)

I rang this morning and spoke to a charming young lady who obviously told me that I wasn't entitled as I'd already booked.

But, I explained, the advert clearly says 'book before the 28th of Feb to get OBC'
I booked before the 28th so where's my money :lol:

She got a bit flummoxed and said that the deal was for new bookings only.
So where does it say that I asked?

Oh, it doesn't she replied, maybe it's in the T&Cs
Nope I replied, I've checked that and there is no mention, so can I please have my OBC :lol:

After a brief conversation with a supervisor, she came back on and apologised but said that it's for new bookings only and they'll change the wording.
You better I said, 'cos I'll be keeping an eye on you :crazy:

I knew I'd never get it but it amused me for 15 minutes. I think I need to go and do some work :thumbup:

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

nowhere close Barney
We have booked for June 2016 :D
we got ,what we think is a great deal for our FIRST ever balcony cabin with free drinks and tips included and we have gone a bit posh and gone with Celebrity :thumbup:
Nihil Obstat

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Dark Knight wrote:
we have gone a bit posh and gone with Celebrity
............................ as opposed to Thomson? :angel:

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain