X522 3rd November

Oriana cruises in 2015

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

X522 3rd November

Post by Whynd1 »

I can see from the cruise personaliser that we now have amended ports of call. Not suprisingly Tunisia has been dropped and we are calling at Gibraltar. Its nice that P and O have given us another port of call even if it is Gibraltar instead of another day at sea.

Have booked a couple of excursions from Naples we are going to Sorrento and Amalfi, and from Toulon to St Tropez and Port Grimaud.

Lindsey

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Re: X522 3rd November

Post by gfwgfw »

So sad

Tunisia is a very interesting country, and rely very much on tourism

Terrorism seems to be winning the battle, lets hope that they do not win the war

Have a very peaceful cruise
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

Lindsey,

Just spotted your post. We went to Port Grimaud last year when we went to St Tropez. Some people on our excursion did a boat trip on the canal. We enjoyed our trip there.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

We nearly booked that one ourselves Lindsey but Mrs barney was worried about landing in an arab country even then (before the trouble) so we booked a week later to Canaries on Arcadia (aft balcony again)

Gibs ok for an hour or so to stretch your legs

We once saw a Spanish busking company do the Argentine Tango in the main square in Gib
They were absolutely brilliant

Enjoy yourself :thumbup:
Empty vessels .. and all that

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Well this cruise is just around the corner. Have had a very hectic few weeks but am now organised and really looking forward to this cruise with my friends. First time on Oriana, and it will be a challenge finding our way around the ship. Some new ports of call for me Valletta, Catania and Cagliari.

Booked a few excursions and a meal in the beach house. Travelling with 2 friends who have birthdays on consecutive days !!

Take care all

Lindsey

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Hi All

Just got back from the above cruise. Will do a report later but just to say had a brilliant time and the weather was warm and sunny all cruise.

No novovirus on the ship, and a few flooded cabins but thankfully not mine.

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Well have been back for a week now and all the washing and ironing has been done, so I thought I would give a short report for anyone who might be interested.

First time on Oriana and first time at the city terminal for embarkation. We arrived at 11.45 am to chaos, there had been a fire alarm in the terminal and the ship wasn't ready for us to board. Eventually got on board at about 1.30 pm, the cabins were ready and all my luggage was waiting outside. I had asked for twin beds even though I was on my own I find it gives you more space in the middle of the room and the cabin had been made up as a double. This was rectified later whilst I went to the drill. The cabin was on C deck midships but the bathroom was small and the shower must be the smallest I have ever had on a ship. I am not large but I found I as knocking my elbows on the wall whilst washing my hair and the washing line was so high up it was hard to reach for me .

Table for 8 at 1st sitting. Three of us travelling together shared a table with 5 friends from Swindon. It was the best table I have ever had we laughed such a lot and all got on fine, it transpired that 3 of them lived round the corner from my brother. Downside our table no 17 was at the the back of the restaurant and we suffered the Oriana judder it was awful some evenings. We left the restaurant last most evenings as our waiters seemed to have lots of large tables to serve as we always waited ages for our main course and then they were trying to rush us through dessert and coffee to reset the table for second sitting.

Food as usual quite good but over 18 nights I did tire of the roast meals with the usual one large potato and always served with green beans. We did revolt and ask for peas one evening. For me I am allergic to shellfish and most of the fish courses come with a shellfish sauce if you ask for the fish not to be served with the sauce you don't get anything else and its too dry.

We did a lot of excursions on this cruise as we wanted to make the most of the lovely places we were calling at

We went to Seville, Valletta, Sardinia, Sicily, Sorrento and Amalfi ( my favourite) and to St Tropez. However the St Tropez call was the day after the Paris attacks and we had lots of security armed police at the roundabouts in Toulon the aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle came into port that day and full body searches before we got back on the ship.

Weather - this was our main concern when we booked this cruise but as the Captain Cook said he had never known the med to be so calm at that of year and we were all very lucky sunshine and warm weather all the way. Sunbathed some days it was so warm.

Loved the cruise one of the best I have done but not sure why Oriana didn't reply come up to my expectations. I went with an open mind and I do prefer the small ships but I can't put my finger on it but unless it was a must do itinary I would prefer the Arcadia.

Looking forward to the Baltic next July on Arcadia.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Whynd1 wrote:
Loved the cruise one of the best I have done but not sure why Oriana didn't reply come up to my expectations. I went with an open mind and I do prefer the small ships but I can't put my finger on it but unless it was a must do itinary I would prefer the Arcadia.
Some really nice ports on that trip, Lindsey. Like you, we usually enjoy Oriana except for that terrible judder at the back but it will never be one of our favourites.

Maureen

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

You were very lucky with the weather weren't you. I'm afraid the Oriana isn't a ship I'd ever want to cruise on again either. What is it with P&O and green beans? After our last cruise I couldn't look at another green bean. :sick:

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Thanks for your report.

We're on Oriana next August, so it's interesting to read how she's getting on.

On the Britannia Maiden it was broccoli that seemed the be the vegetable of choice - I haven't eaten it since!
Gill

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Anything's better than that awful spinach.

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

When steak was ordered from the left vhand side me u it always came with beans and carrots. I did ask one evening for the steak just to have tomatoes and mushrooms instead of veg and that's how it came. There's always some odd mixtures on these menus.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
Anything's better than that awful spinach.
You should eat your greens, QBob. You know it makes sense !!

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Thanks for your report Lindsey.
I agree with you about the judder on Oriana. It really is bad in that dining room at the back of the ship and puts you off sailing on Oriana. We much prefer Aurora and Arcadia.

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Obf

The judder was so bad one night that a couple at the table next to us left and never did return.

The other thing was that in all the public area like Tiffany's there were too many tables and sun loungers packed too close together. The waitress in Tiffany's had to move chairs to get through. They did however open up Sindu some morning gs for the overflow.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

The vibration is part of her character! Reminds you of the Germans who made a complete lash-up of the launch !!

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

qbman1 wrote:
The vibration is part of her character! Reminds you of the Germans who made a complete lash-up of the launch !!
I was reading about this on our last cruise, there was a book in the library on Oriana and Aurora and their design philosophy.

Oriana has direct-drive with variable pitch propellers and suffered from bad judder right from the start. They are supposed to have solved this by running both engines backwards! Aurora has diesel-electric propulsion which has had other problems. Even Arcadia has a bad vibration in certain areas in the restaurant near the stern.

Incidentally, the extra skirt that was added to the stern of Oriana was to provide more stability on account of the extra cabins that were fitted at a major refit, nothing to do with the judder. I must say that we have sailed on Oriana a few times and have never really noticed this juddering.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

We have, twice ... our table, December 2012, was very bad and the waiters had to show us how to align our cutlery to stop it rattling about like a band saw on steroids. :thumbdown:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Manoverboard wrote:
We have, twice ... our table, December 2012, was very bad and the waiters had to show us how to align our cutlery to stop it rattling about like a band saw on steroids. :thumbdown:
We've been on 3 or 4 times but always in the Peninsular Restaurant midships. We did have a loyalty lunch in the Oriental but maybe our tables were carefully selected.

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

We were in the Oriental.

One morning towards the end of the cruise at about 7.30 am we lost all power, I happened to be in an inside cabin and was in the bathroom. Telling myself not to panic and to get used to the darkness before moving the back up lighting came on. The engines stopped for a good 10 mins it was so quiet it was really strange.

I can smile about it now but at the time it was a bit spooky.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Oddly enough the engines stopped for us but this time we were having dinner. It was not a particularly pleasant experience not knowing what was happening and just bobbing around in the sea. At least it stopped the cutlery rattling around. They also had an engine fire and a couple of other little problems so I wouldn't say Oriana comes anywhere near the top of my favourite ships.
It seems strange that most of the more imaginative cruises to ports we have never been to before all seem to be on Oriana. I presume P&O are thinking if anything untoward happens when in one of the newer ports it's better to happen to Oriana than one of their better ships.

Return to “Oriana Cruises 2015”