Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Sue Kersh on Oriana

Post by Whynd1 »

Hi Sue

Always wanted to visit Cefalonia.
I read somewhere that the Greeks had added a tourist tax on drinks due to austerity.
Am enjoying your reports.

LINDSEY

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

We had a wonderful land based holiday in Fiskado which is at the north of Cephalonia. We stayed in some old apartments which were great. They had air conditioning and separate, kitchen/dining area, sitting room and separate bedroom with a balcony. The place was within walking distance of the town of Fiskado and the harbour. Included in the rental was 3 days used of a little motor boat which we could use to potter off to a distant beach after purchasing goodies for lunch in the town. Lovely place, well worth a visit. We had hired a car and journeyed from the airport which is in the South, up to the North. The roads are incredibly twisty, some overlooking ravines and it takes quite a long time considering the distance isn't that far. Very picturesque.

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

Wow, devastated to read that the Kephalonia taxi was only €5. Feel I may need a counselling session ( paid £x for the beach transfer). Note to self: find a taxi in Gib that takes OBC.
Last edited by Ranchi on 15 Sep 2017, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Dennis The Menace »

Evening all, thanks on Sue's behalf for all your comments, I'll let Sue know and hopefully she'll get a chance to respond. In the meantime, here's another update :

Thursday 14 Sept. 2017 Sea Day to Cagliari
I went to the early morning exercise class before staking my claim on a sun bed on the aft of the ship whilst my Butler went to the laundry to complete his tasks before he went to the spa. He didn't come back with any gossip. It was another hot clear day and by 8:30 a.m. there wasn't a bed to be had on the aft deck.

We transited the Messina Straits and saw Mount Etna above the low lying cloud smoking like a trooper. We passed fabulous scenery on both sides of the ship. The sun got hotter and hotter. Just what sea days should be like. A nice sea breeze kept the temperature bearable.
I spent a very lazy day on deck and as my butler needed to walk around I let him wait on me to ensure he didn't get too much sun and had enough exercise.

Our 4 th formal night of the cruise and the canapés were the best of the cruise so far. Huge fat juicy prawns in a mild spicy dressing.

After spending a lazy day we had a fairly energetic evening dancing in Harlequins. None of the other entertainment on offer appealed. One of the benefits (or not ) of having an aft cabin on deck 8 is that during the late afternoon we can hear the performers practising their act in readiness for the evening. Having heard it once we had no intention of repeating the torture. My eardrums would not have survived being in the same room.

Tomorrow we are in Cagliari, Sardinia.

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

As usual I am enjoying your reports :)

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Thanks all for your comments. We are in Gibraltar today and I have just sent Dennis the reports of the last 2 days.

The sun is shining on the rock unlike last time we were here 4 weeks ago when it was cloudy and cold.

Having a great cruise and so happy it is not ending soon.

Sue

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Oops, sorry Sue, only just spotted your new updates 😀 :

Friday 15 Sept 2017- Cagliari, Sardinia

Another hot sunny day as we docked in Cagliari. We visited here last year and spent the day at Poetta Beach. This time the plan was to see the city on foot, although when I realised just how steep the town was I wish we had opted for the pony and trap ride.

We found the local market which was a bit like a cooperative where local farmers and wine growers set up shop mainly for the local people but welcomed us. We came out with a recommended bottle of Rose wine and directions to the top of the town where the University, cathedral and other public buildings were situated. It was a long long climb up many steps and then lots of narrow winding sloping streets with tall buildings on either side. We just kept heading upwards and in the direction of the sea. The sun was up and very hot, the thought of a cold beer at the top was the only thing that kept me going. Eventually it just opened up onto a huge plaza. The view was so worth the climb and the plaza, although undergoing some renovation, was busy with tourists taking advantage of the views of all sides of the city. Unfortunately Oriana was still surrounded by the ugly ferries.

We stopped for a couple of beers before heading back down in a different direction than we had come up and ended up purely by chance on the main shopping street. We stopped for delicious ice cream before heading back to the ship and a sun bed on the aft deck.

We had arranged to have dinner with friends before we headed off to the Tropical Party on deck. The party was in full swing when we got there but the fast sailing meant that it was very breezy on deck although not cold. Later in the evening the waiters came round with pizza and other nibbles. This is something we haven't experienced before and was a really nice surprise. The food and beverage team have been very pro active this cruise and are experimenting with new ideas to keep passengers happy. The feed back from people I have spoken to has been excellent.

Saturday 16 September 2017 - Sea Day to Gibraltar
The day started as usual with the morning exercise class which turned out to be nothing like the usual routine and was completely mad. There are two fitness instructors - an Australian called Carl and a Chinese girl Jan Ying. Today was her turn and she started the class by explaining that it was going to be a Chinese type of exercise and a little different. OMG that was an understatement. Bearing in mind that last night we had pre dinner drinks, wine with the meal, port to follow and then the cocktail party, my head was throbbing slightly. She started by telling us to hit our heads and as we were not hitting them hard enough she came round and did it for us. I couldn't believe it and nor could anyone else. The whole class was based on us beating ourselves up and if she felt we weren't doing it properly she did not hesitate in doing it for us and certainly didn't hold back. I am certain that I will be full of bruises tomorrow. In future if she is taking the class I am heading back out of the door but unfortunately you never know which instructor is on until you get there.

The sun was out and I got my bed sorted and settled down for a relaxing sea day to get over the trauma of this mornings ' beating'. My butler looked after me and brought lunch to my bed but just as I had finished it the rain started. I stuck it out for a while as it was still hot but soon realised it was more than just a shower when it started thundering. It rained heavily and lasted about 90 minutes then the sky cleared and it was even hotter than before.

Manuel Martinez was in the theatre for his second show and the Headliners performed the energetic 'Killer Queen in Concert' show in the Pacific Lounge. They were fantastic as usual and as we had given the theatre show a miss we got in the Pacific Lounge early and had front row seats.

Tomorrow we are in Gibraltar for a half day call.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Dennis The Menace wrote: 17 Sep 2017, 15:35
when I realised just how steep the town was I wish we had opted for the pony and trap ride.
Thanks for the review on Cagliari, Sue. That's useful information to bear in mind for when we call in there next April as Ken's knees are on their last legs (excuse the pun :roll:). I will also be avoiding the gym especially if the Chinese girl is in charge.

Loving the updates and many thanks to DTM for passing them on.

Maureen

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

My pleasure Maureen, here's another one 😀:

Sunday 17 September, Gibraltar
Another sunny day with temperatures rising to around 25 degrees. We had a view of the Rock which looked a lot different than 4 weeks ago when it was covered in a huge black cloud.

Only a 1/2 day call this time so we were off the ship at 09:30 and caught the shuttle taxi into town. Last time we were here on Adonia the shuttle taxis were not operating and we were told that because it was a small ship it wasn't worth their time opening up the booth. Today the taxi driver told me that it was the ships that organised whether or not the shuttle taxis operated and today Oriana had asked for it but the Costa ship that arrived later in the day had not so the shuttles would finish at 1:30 p.m.

Even though it was a Sunday call many of the shops had opened in anticipation of doing some business and looking at all the shopping bags people were carrying they were not disappointed .

We got back to the ship in plenty of time as the Captain had warned of congestion at 1 p.m. and although the official back on board time was not until 1:30 p.m. He advised everyone to try to be back on board before 1 p.m.

It was the Great British Sailaway on deck and the Entertainment team did us proud, and the sun shone the whole time. The breeze got up as we sailed away from the rock but it was a warm breeze and very welcome. I stayed there until I lost the sun as this was probably the last day I would see it until we reached the Med again on the next cruise.

We had booked in the Beach House and it was still warm enough to eat outside. Our friends joined us and we had a great meal with lots of laughs. The food was superb and being able to eat outside and without the rush and commotion of the busy main dining room a real bonus. The service in the Beach House is impeccable and not as rushed because they limit the number of tables eating at any time.

We were having such a great time that we were quite late out and had missed the early shows and were only just in time to see the late crew show. It was standing room only by the time we got there. Not many crew had joined in but Alan Carr the restaurant manager stole the show. The entertainment team were hilarious when they performed their sketch of 'If I was not upon the Sea'. We have seen it so many times but still find it so funny.

The talented singers ' Walk Like a Man' were in the Theatre but as we have recently seen them on Adonia we gave them a miss, but will probably watch their second show.

We now have two sea days back to Southampton.

JillD66
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by JillD66 »

Thanks for all the updates Sue - glad you're having a good cruise.

We've seen Walk Like A Man twice in the past year - but they were excellent shows (although too loud for the lounges and much better in the larger theatres!)

Take care of Oriana as we're going on her in a few weeks. Nice to hear so many positives.

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Morning folks, some disappointing news from Sue & Garry :

"Hi all,

Unfortunately our cruise is coming to an abrupt end. Garry has been unwell for a couple of days. He saw the doctor yesterday , but has got worse overnight. He saw the doctor again this morning and he has advised that we should disembark the ship in Southampton to get medical treatment at home.

Sue. X. "

Get well soon Garry, and hope you both get to complete the second half of that back to back another time - and soon. Xx

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

Hope Garry is feeling better very soon. Thank you for posting the reports about your cruise.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Sorry to hear that, Sue. I hope Garry gets the medical treatment he needs and he is soon feeling better.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

I can "feel" for you both having been through a similar situation earlier this year.

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Sorry to hear that.
Hoping that Garry feels better soon.
At least you were able to disembark in the UK and not abroad.
Take care both

Lindsey

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

JillD66 wrote: 19 Sep 2017, 12:00
Thanks for all the updates Sue - glad you're having a good cruise.

We've seen Walk Like A Man twice in the past year - but they were excellent shows (although too loud for the lounges and much better in the larger theatres!)

Take care of Oriana as we're going on her in a few weeks. Nice to hear so many positives.
Yes, we've seen Walk Like a Man on two cruises but only in theatre shows. I can imagine it wouldn't work quite so well in a Lounge. Really excellent, though, one of the best acts I have seen on a ship - up there with The Drifters and Marti Webb....should I include Tony Christie too ?!

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Dennis The Menace wrote: 20 Sep 2017, 08:37
Morning folks, some disappointing news from Sue & Garry :

"Hi all,

Unfortunately our cruise is coming to an abrupt end. Garry has been unwell for a couple of days. He saw the doctor yesterday , but has got worse overnight. He saw the doctor again this morning and he has advised that we should disembark the ship in Southampton to get medical treatment at home.

Sue. X. "

Get well soon Garry, and hope you both get to complete the second half of that back to back another time - and soon. Xx
How sad - still, health has to come first so hope all is well and you can you can fit another cruise in soon (I know you will !)

JillD66
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by JillD66 »

Best wishes Sue - better for you to be in UK for medical treatment.

Despite some reviews of the NHS - we've only had brilliant treatment at Frimley, our local hospital.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Sorry to hear that Sue, hope Garry gets well soon.

It's always best to be at home when you are under the weather
Gill

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

So sorry to read about Garry Sue. I do hope he gets the appropriate treatment back at home.
Last edited by GillD46 on 20 Sep 2017, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
Gill

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

So sorry to hear that Garry is unwell. I will be thinking of you both.

Maureen xx

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

Sorry to hear that Gary isn't well, hope he gets well soon and you can both get back to your travels.

Return to “Oriana Cruises 2017”