Insurance payout problem

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Insurance payout problem

Post by Ray Scully »

Just had to cancel a cruise due to illness. Insurers playing hardball regarding paying out. What avenues are open to me to contest them TIA

Ray

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Insurance payout problem

Post by Manoverboard »

Is your need to cancel based on the condition that caused you to be a guest of the NHS recently …. and if so have you have had previous symptoms that you did not declare to the Insurer ?
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Out of general interest - which insurance company is it?

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

insurance ombudsman?
Meg
x

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Ray Scully wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 14:12
Just had to cancel a cruise due to illness. Insurers playing hardball regarding paying out. What avenues are open to me to contest them TIA

Ray
Sorry to hear this Ray, I can only advise on my own experience when we didn't have a problem with the Insurers paying out when we had to cancel.

If you have a pre existing condition which you have declared there should be no problem however if you had an undiagnosed condition or something under investigation which you were aware of when the policy was taken out/renewed which wasn't declared at that time then the chances are the Insurers won't pay out, the Ombudsman is your best bet if you have done everything 'by the book' and your Insurers are playing hardball re paying out, just be sure you have all your dates correct because the insurers can and will request your medical records.

Another avenue to explore could be to ask the cruise operator if they will transfer the cost of the cruise to a later date .. some will.
Good luck.
Jo

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

If you are still getting nowhere,then the first step is a formal complaint in line with their complaints procedure. If you are not happy with the reply to that, or there is no response within 8 weeks, you can escalate the complaint to the FOS for their adjudication - there is no cost for this.

Good luck.

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

This is where the notorious small print comes into play. If you took the policy out some time back, then have had symptoms requiring a trip to your doctor which you have not told the insurers about they may claim you have not fully disclosed information in line with the terms of the policy.
It's a licence to sting the customer.
This is why I got charged a £50 fee for a "policy amendment" after informing my insurer I had had to have a course of antibiotics which had cured my chest infection.

Topic author
Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray Scully »

Manoverboard wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 14:25
Is your need to cancel based on the condition that caused you to be a guest of the NHS recently …. and if so have you have had previous symptoms that you did not declare to the Insurer ?
Hi Moby, yes recent hospitalisation resulted in the cancellation. It came out of the blue no warning symptoms nothing

Topic author
Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray Scully »

david63 wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 15:21
Don't wish to disclose at the moment David as it may prejudice my claim
Last edited by Ray Scully on 14 Nov 2018, 11:54, edited 1 time in total.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Ray Scully wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 11:54
sounds sensible. but once sorted in one way or t'other, please tell us then.

Cos then we'll know where to go/not to go for our insurance
Meg
x

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

On what grounds have they rejected your claim?

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Ray Scully wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 11:52
Hi Moby, yes recent hospitalisation resulted in the cancellation. It came out of the blue no warning symptoms nothing
No warning signs ' but ' should you ( for example ) have been having regular cholesterol tests and be on statins etc that would have reduced any risk for a gentleman within your age group. In other words could they be thinking that if you had taken preventative medication the problem would not have arisen or that if it did you were doing everything you possibly could to prevent a problem.

Topic author
Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray Scully »

anniec wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 12:51

Not yet received a rejection, at the minute it appears that an existing condition on which they asked what treatment I was receiving was not satisfactory because I did not identify a previous treatment for the same :-(

Topic author
Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray Scully »

Manoverboard wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 13:11
Ray Scully wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 11:52
No warning signs ' but ' should you ( for example ) have been having regular cholesterol tests and be on statins etc that would have reduced any risk for a gentleman within your age group. In other words could they be thinking that if you had taken preventative medication the problem would not have arisen or that if it did you were doing everything you possibly could to prevent a problem.

Moby non of above apply, we have a great local practice where we get an annual MOT

Topic author
Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray Scully »

Ray Scully wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 14:12
anniec wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 12:51

Not yet received a rejection, at the minute it appears that an existing condition, (not the problem) on which they asked what treatment I was receiving was not satisfactory because I did not identify a previous treatment for the same :-(

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Ray Scully wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 14:15

Not yet received a rejection, at the minute it appears that an existing condition, (not the problem) on which they asked what treatment I was receiving was not satisfactory because I did not identify a previous treatment for the same :-(
That sounds a very weak excuse Ray, when my wife suffered her stroke the insurance paid out on a cruise we had already paid for in full, plus the deposit on one still to come. One of her conditions was atrial fibrillation, which is a well known cause of strokes, but they never tried to use this as an excuse not to pay out.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Topic author
Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray Scully »

towny44 wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 14:28

That sounds a very weak excuse Ray, when my wife suffered her stroke the insurance paid out on a cruise we had already paid for in full, plus the deposit on one still to come. One of her conditions was atrial fibrillation, which is a well known cause of strokes, but they never tried to use this as an excuse not to pay out.
Thanks John

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Could this be because your wife was taking Statins and blood thinners ( Clopidogrel etc ) to minimise the risk of clots forming ?

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Manoverboard wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 15:09

Could this be because your wife was taking Statins and blood thinners ( Clopidogrel etc ) to minimise the risk of clots forming ?
She was on a statin but only aspirin for blood thinning, which of course now is recognised as worthless.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Not sure what Ray's wife has got to do with the claim. As I understand it from the posts it was Ray that was unwell and claiming, or am I missing something.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Stephen wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 07:18
Not sure what Ray's wife has got to do with the claim. As I understand it from the posts it was Ray that was unwell and claiming, or am I missing something.
Read it again old chap ..... :angel:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Manoverboard wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 09:33
Read it again old chap ..... :angel:
I stand corrected...........older chap :thumbup:

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Take the sunglasses off :lol:
Don't worry, be happy

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Ray B wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 19:33
Take the sunglasses off :lol:

I have to wear them Ray

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Any news on the making a claim front, Ray ? :thumbup: :thumbdown:

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”