Paying for a Cruise by Credit Card

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Paying for a Cruise by Credit Card

Post by david63 »

I have just been reading an interesting article in the weekend paper about paying by credit card and the protection offered by Section 75.

Like many (most?) I was under the impression that if you paid at least £100 for any purchase on your credit card then you were covered by this protection. Apparently this is not 100% the case. The protection is only valid when there are three parties involved in the transaction - you (the purchaser), the card issuer and the supplier. The implication of this is that if you book a cruise through a travel agent and you pay the travel agent then you have no protection under Section 75 if the cruise line went bust, or you had some major problem with the cruise.

If you pay the cruise company direct then you would be covered but the only redress if you pay a TA is with the travel agent and as they are not the end supplier you would have no protection.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: Paying for a Cruise by Credit Card

Post by towny44 »

Since most travel agents are members of ABTA you would presumably be covered via them. However a lot of online TAs pass the CC payment direct to the cruise line, certainly that's how Bolsover operate.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Yes Go Cruise do too, as it always shows on the CC statement as Cunard.
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Don't bother with ABTA if the Cruise Company has gone bust and remember to pay the deposit by Credit Card … is my message.

We booked a Voyages of Discovery Cruise and paid the deposit by Credit Card but V of D went tits up. We were instructed to claim from ABTA but they were a total waste of space and would do nothing until the Administrators had finished sorting out all the finances. 12 months went by and I gave up with them in spite of my best efforts. I contacted the Insurers ( Saga ) and they said they would pay in full but only if the Credit Card Company did not meet our claim albeit they would have expected ABTA to have paid up ages ago. Contacted Barclaycard, filled in a pile of forms and was refunded the £600 deposit in a matter of weeks.

:wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

The usual story. Quick to take your money, but make it as difficult as possible if they can to refund.
Last edited by Stephen on 09 Mar 2019, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

david63 wrote: 09 Mar 2019, 13:30
I have just been reading an interesting article in the weekend paper about paying by credit card and the protection offered by Section 75.

Like many (most?) I was under the impression that if you paid at least £100 for any purchase on your credit card then you were covered by this protection. Apparently this is not 100% the case. The protection is only valid when there are three parties involved in the transaction - you (the purchaser), the card issuer and the supplier. The implication of this is that if you book a cruise through a travel agent and you pay the travel agent then you have no protection under Section 75 if the cruise line went bust, or you had some major problem with the cruise.

If you pay the cruise company direct then you would be covered but the only redress if you pay a TA is with the travel agent and as they are not the end supplier you would have no protection.
Thanks David.......not that l'm going on a cruise anytime soon but that is very useful information :thumbup:

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”