Formal evenings

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Midlandslass
Cadet
Cadet

Formal evenings

Post by Midlandslass »

I've enjoyed reading your reasons for choosing a cruise and realised that no-one mentioned whether the dress code affected their choice.
Many of you are P&O regulars so will probably subscribe to the continuance of Formal evenings, but maybe some who have experienced other lines might prefer the Smart casual approach.
When I first started cruising I loved the opportunity to dress up, but now whilst I comply with the dress code I enjoy the more easy going attitude to dress on lines like Oceania. That is not to say that I don't dress smartly.
However, wherever the bar is set there always seem to be some people who want to challenge the requested dress code.
Do you think relaxing dress codes is the thin end of the wedge or would you welcome a less constricted attitude as long as it was 'policed' by the maitre d'?

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Formal evenings

Post by GillD46 »

We enjoy the formality of Cunard, but having said that when travelling with less formal cruise lines, we are happy to dress still smartly but less formally.

We just comply with the requested dress code and never think to question it, much less challenge it. We have a long voyage on QM2 in 2021 and I know some evenings we will “stay in” and watch a DVD, so will be very happy to dress up on the other evenings.
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

The formality of cruising was well received initially and especially so for us because it would coincide with posh nosh, and even a sumptuous ' Gala Dinner ' from time to time. At some point we noticed that P&O were offering us Spag Bol on a Formal night and there is No Way Hose that we intend to dress up for Spag Bol :lol:

We tried other Lines almost from the outset and realised that ' Elegant Casual ' was, or could be, as smart and certainly far more expensive than vin ordinaire M&S Formalwear. Interestingly the more expensive the Cruise Line the less formality is required. :thumbup:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Hi Midlandlass

Yes l think it is the thin end of the wedge and in the not too distant future we will start reading posts about how dress codes have fallen. It only takes a couple of scruffy "up yours l'll wear what l like merchants" to bring down the whole ambience of what is supposed to be a special (formal) occasion .

I don't know this for a fact but l presume most of us who enjoyed our first few cruises also enjoyed dressing for formal evenings? I personally think formal evenings should be strictly aderehed too....and all the scruffy sods who wish to flaunt this should make their way to the self service restaurants via a designated route that avoids me not having to see them. :thumbup: :)

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

We like them. It's part of the holiday for us. These are the few occasions that Mrs B wears her very best bling. The same for me. There are few occasions where I get to wear cufflinks and my best watch.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Usually we enjoy them and always do the posh frock and dress suit but this time there were 5 in 18 days and we considered going up to the buffet for the last one. We didn't but it was seriously tempting. I think we were quite tired from street pounding and tower climbing etc in the previous few days.

It is only on a cruise that my decent dresses get to see daylight.
Midlandslass wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 09:48
would you welcome a less constricted attitude as long as it was 'policed' by the maitre d'?
Where does the maitre d draw the line. What one considers smart, another might not consider it so.

Maureen

gilly88
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by gilly88 »

how casual is casual? I have had a person walk into the main dining room in front of me wearing shorts , a rain mac and socks and sandals. admittedly it was a first night, the maître d's face was a picture . :o :o still let him in though.
regards gilly.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Manoverboard wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 12:54
The formality of cruising was well received initially and especially so for us because it would coincide with posh nosh, and even a sumptuous ' Gala Dinner ' from time to time. At some point we noticed that P&O were offering us Spag Bol on a Formal night and there is No Way Hose that we intend to dress up for Spag Bol :lol:

We tried other Lines almost from the outset and realised that ' Elegant Casual ' was, or could be, as smart and certainly far more expensive than vin ordinaire M&S Formalwear. Interestingly the more expensive the Cruise Line the less formality is required. :thumbup:
Although My comment will be viewed as "classist", I assume that those passengers paying to cruise on a more expensive cruise line are very unlikely to want to enter the dining room in unsuitable attire, but P&O cruisers maybe need the rules spelling out more clearly?
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

gilly88 wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 15:28
how casual is casual? I have had a person walk into the main dining room in front of me wearing shorts , a rain mac and socks and sandals. admittedly it was a first night, the maître d's face was a picture . :o :o still let him in though.
Was he a flasher … ie the ship's photographer :angel:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Manoverboard wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 15:38
I thought that was Onelife's job......sorry, my mistake, his speciality is sheep :D

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Onelife wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 14:07
Hi Midlandlass

Yes l think it is the thin end of the wedge and in the not too distant future we will start reading posts about how dress codes have fallen. It only takes a couple of scruffy "up yours l'll wear what l like merchants" to bring down the whole ambience of what is supposed to be a special (formal) occasion .

I don't know this for a fact but l presume most of us who enjoyed our first few cruises also enjoyed dressing for formal evenings? I personally think formal evenings should be strictly aderehed too....and all the scruffy sods who wish to flaunt this should make their way to the self service restaurants via a designated route that avoids me not having to see them. :thumbup: :)
:thumbup:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

towny44 wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 15:36

Although My comment will be viewed as "classist", I assume that those passengers paying to cruise on a more expensive cruise line are very unlikely to want to enter the dining room in unsuitable attire, but P&O cruisers maybe need the rules spelling out more clearly?
Not by me it won't :wave:

It may also be the case that those who are able to purchase cruises on the more expensive Lines do not worry about making impressions on their fellow cruisers and would happily dress up as they would if going to a fine dining restaurant on land. P&O does a grand job but deffo does not provide fine dining.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

We enjoy the formal evenings and would be very sad if P&O were to drop them. There are not too many occasions when people dress formally these days. Although as a former teacher it always interested me to see how keen our 6th Formers were to dress formally - girls in long dresses, boys in DJs - for their Prom evenings. The dress code was their idea, not the staff. Even the boys seemed to enjoy dressing up.

What does annoy me is that if a cruise line has a clearly stated dress code then some people seem to take delight in not abiding by it. I know you get the 'It's my holiday, I'll dress as I like' so why choose a cruise line that has a stated dress code? I don't choose a cruise line where people can dress as they like on every evening so why do some choose P&O that has a stated code? Mind you, I think there are some people who book a cruise without even knowing whether the ship has a dress code, formal evenings etc. I have read numerous queries on websites where people have said. 'I've booked a cruise on P&O, is there a dress code? Why book a cruise without knowing all about the cruise line? I don't understand it.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I do like to see the dress code enforced in the bars, if its says formal evening and it's formal dress then that's what it should be. I feel uncomfortable sitting there in my formal togs when a fellow passenger insists he has the right to sit there in his shorts or hoodie.

Lindsey

gilly88
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by gilly88 »

no bless him, he was an older gent I think he had just endured a long coach trip and couldn't be ar***d to get changed :lol: :lol: never saw him again in the 12 nights on board.
regards gilly.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

gilly88 wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 16:19
no bless him, he was an older gent I think he had just endured a long coach trip and couldn't be ar***d to get changed :lol: :lol: never saw him again in the 12 nights on board.

Probably croaked it :silent: ;)

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

I think that perhaps over time formal nights in the main dining rooms will be dropped with the option to have a more formal dining experience in the select dining rooms whenever you choose.
We have a two day cruise coming up and it irks me that I have to take the DJ for one of two nights.

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

Personally, I find smart casual a bit of a challenge; will that shirt go with those trousers etc? Never happier (dress wise) than on formal night; jacket-black, trousers-black, bow tie- black, shirt- white piqué, shoes- black. Big decision wing or normal?
Didn’t used to mind the informal dress code either; suit, blue/white or cream shirt and then choose from a small selection of ties.
I don’t have any problem with passengers opting to wear whatever they like as long as they are happy to abide by the dress code for certain venues. Having said that, it did seem somewhat incongruous to see someone in tee-shirt, shorts & what would be called things in Australia walking down the main drag at about 9:30 pm on Britannia last week - it was not a swelteringly hot night either.

Topic author
Midlandslass
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Midlandslass »

Yes I know what you mean, you wouldn’t get dressed up for a burger at McDonalds would you?
Cunard often have 2 formals a week, and the menu doesn’t always support the formal designation, maybe if they just had 1 a week but made it really special.

Topic author
Midlandslass
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Midlandslass »

Ranchi wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 17:14
Personally, I find smart casual a bit of a challenge; will that shirt go with those trousers etc? Never happier (dress wise) than on formal night; jacket-black, trousers-black, bow tie- black, shirt- white piqué, shoes- black. Big decision wing or normal?
Didn’t used to mind the informal dress code either; suit, blue/white or cream shirt and then choose from a small selection of ties.
I don’t have any problem with passengers opting to wear whatever they like as long as they are happy to abide by the dress code for certain venues. Having said that, it did seem somewhat incongruous to see someone in tee-shirt, shorts & what would be called things in Australia walking down the main drag at about 9:30 pm on Britannia last week - it was not a swelteringly hot night either.
It’s often the case on Cunard that passengers will abide by the dress code in the dining room and then rush back to their cabins to change into shorts, t-shirts and baseball caps (worn backwards of course) to go to the production show.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Midlandslass wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 17:33
It’s often the case on Cunard that passengers will abide by the dress code in the dining room and then rush back to their cabins to change into shorts, t-shirts and baseball caps (worn backwards of course) to go to the production show.
Goodness, I’ve not seen that more than once or twice in 20+ Cunard trips.
Gill

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

GillD46 wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 18:02
Neither have I in roughly the same number of Cunard cruises.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

gilly88 wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 16:19
Funny thing is that many years ago we had a similar experience to yours … everybody was slagging him off but it transpired that the airline had lost all his luggage so he had no other choices :lol:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

GillD46 wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 18:02

They should be removed and locked in they're cabins until after midnight.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

It can be the case that Dress Codes are ' required ' in many of the ship's areas but that the Theatre is NOT one of them.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”