Formal evenings

Topics that are specific to cruising

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Formal evenings

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We enjoy a couple of formal nights each week which is one reason we usually choose lines that offer them. If we wished to be less formal tgere are other lines which suit. What annoys me is people choosing a formal
line them moaning about it.

Topic author
Midlandslass
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Midlandslass »

GillD46 wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 18:02
Midlandslass wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 17:33
Ranchi wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 17:14
Personally, I find smart casual a bit of a challenge; will that shirt go with those trousers etc? Never happier (dress wise) than on formal night; jacket-black, trousers-black, bow tie- black, shirt- white piqué, shoes- black. Big decision wing or normal?
Didn’t used to mind the informal dress code either; suit, blue/white or cream shirt and then choose from a small selection of ties.
I don’t have any problem with passengers opting to wear whatever they like as long as they are happy to abide by the dress code for certain venues. Having said that, it did seem somewhat incongruous to see someone in tee-shirt, shorts & what would be called things in Australia walking down the main drag at about 9:30 pm on Britannia last week - it was not a swelteringly hot night either.
It’s often the case on Cunard that passengers will abide by the dress code in the dining room and then rush back to their cabins to change into shorts, t-shirts and baseball caps (worn backwards of course) to go to the production show.
Goodness, I’ve not seen that more than once or twice in 20+ Cunard trips.
Sadly I have, not all necessarily with the baseball caps - those are probably the exception, but certainly the quick change crew, unless they ate in the buffet.
I've never actually followed anyone to their cabin and watched them emerge in less than formal clothes :lol:
Generally on the Med fly cruises or the Caribbean.
Don't know how many Cunard cruises but have been sat at Diamond level for quite a few years.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

We stayed at a rather nice hotel in Malaga a couple of years back that had a dress code for dinner. This was clearly advertised. The amount of people who stood and argued with the restaurant manager was incredible. He was a tough cookie and wouldn't budge an inch.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Onelife wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 14:07
Hi Midlandlass

Yes l think it is the thin end of the wedge and in the not too distant future we will start reading posts about how dress codes have fallen. It only takes a couple of scruffy "up yours l'll wear what l like merchants" to bring down the whole ambience of what is supposed to be a special (formal) occasion .

I don't know this for a fact but l presume most of us who enjoyed our first few cruises also enjoyed dressing for formal evenings? I personally think formal evenings should be strictly aderehed too....and all the scruffy sods who wish to flaunt this should make their way to the self service restaurants via a designated route that avoids me not having to see them. :thumbup: :)
I could not agree with you more Onelife, nothing more I can add.
When we are out to dinner at good restaurants (not chains) I like to dress accordingly, shirt, tie smart trousers and jacket, so it goes without saying that we enjoy the formal evenings when cruising and long may it last.
Don't worry, be happy

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

It may be a generation thing Ray. We always make the effort if eating out while many youngsters seem happy to turn up in shorts and flip flops.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

I love the formal black tie nights (Mrs63 says I do!)

This is not a sexist comment but I find that some of the female passengers have a very "vivid imagination" as to what constitutes being formal and are able to get away with it. I have seen some women in what most would consider as a long beach dress on a formal night or in a jumper and skirt which would only just pass muster on a smart casual night. I have yet to see a female refused being served in a "black tie" bar but if a man was to enter in the equivalent then he would be asked to leave.

There is, to some extent, a degree of discrimination with the enforcement of dress codes.

Topic author
Midlandslass
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Midlandslass »

david63 wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 21:45

This is not a sexist comment but I find that some of the female passengers have a very "vivid imagination" as to what constitutes being formal and are able to get away with it. I have seen some women in what most would consider as a long beach dress on a formal night or in a jumper and skirt which would only just pass muster on a smart casual night. I have yet to see a female refused being served in a "black tie" bar but if a man was to enter in the equivalent then he would be asked to leave.

There is, to some extent, a degree of discrimination with the enforcement of dress codes.
I think that’s spot on, not sexist at all.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Manoverboard wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 18:16
It can be the case that Dress Codes are ' required ' in many of the ship's areas but that the Theatre is NOT one of them.
Well it should be.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

david63 wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 21:45

Q

I agree David.

Mrs S and I have often said, 'how does she get away with calling that formal attire'. It's always the men that get pulled up about not being properly dressed, never the women.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Midlandslass wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 18:32
Midlandslass wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 17:33

It’s often the case on Cunard that passengers will abide by the dress code in the dining room and then rush back to their cabins to change into shorts, t-shirts and baseball caps (worn backwards of course) to go to the production show.
Sadly I have, not all necessarily with the baseball caps - those are probably the exception, but certainly the quick change crew, unless they ate in the buffet.
I've never actually followed anyone to their cabin and watched them emerge in less than formal clothes :lol:
Don't know how many Cunard cruises but have been sat at Diamond level for quite a few years.
Midlandslass, I wasn’t disputing what you posted. We must have been more fortunate, though I did once see someone in the Queen’s Room wearing a football shirt.
Gill

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Guess I am different to most of you, if anything I 'tolerated' formal evenings. Been there done that!

Now we don't even bother packing formal gear but we do dress in smart casual (as defined by the cruise line) - I point blank refuse to wear ties these days under any circumstances (always hated them). I don't know why but over the years I have actually grown a serious distrust of anyone in a 3 piece suit and a certain level of caution towards anyone in a suit and tie - stupid, I know.

On formal nights we will either book one of the allowed select dining venues or go to the buffet restaurant (which is surprisingly busy with people in formal, smart casual, football and beach bum outfits). After dinner we head down to the show lounge/theatre/bars and enjoy the entertainment with everyone else - sadly the theatre seems to be full of waiters taking all the seats.

I print out the web page stating where formal gear is required, just in case I come across someone who is unaware - I have seen the odd sourpuss with a face on them that looks like they are sucking wasps dipped in mace as they look us up and down, but they never say anything. in fact the only comments we have heard, on multiple occasions, are 'you look much more comfortable than us' or 'Are you allowed to remove your formal gear?' (er, yes, it is not compulsory - and I show them my print out after which most seem to go back to the cabin to get changed, leaving us to look after their seats).

I don't complain if people want to dress up and I don't expect them to complain if I decide not to. Just follow the requirements, as laid out in your T&C and other guidance .... if someone does not like them then that is their problem not mine ... and I am on holiday ... so I don't care about their problems. :)
Last edited by Kendhni on 01 May 2019, 07:43, edited 1 time in total.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Kendhni wrote: 01 May 2019, 07:42
Just follow the requirements, as laid out in your T&C and other guidance
And that is the crux of the issue - there are some (many) who want to rewrite those rules to suit [pun intended] their requirements.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

allatc wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 17:11
We have a two day cruise coming up and it irks me that I have to take the DJ for one of two nights.

It can be difficult for someone doing a short cruise for the first time to see if they like it. Why pay out for formal clothes if you are unlikely to get any further use from it if you decide cruising is not for you. That is no excuse though for not packing some smart clothes like black slacks and a nice blouse for a lady and a smart shirt, tie and jacket and trousers for a man. These can usually be used in ones everyday life. I love to see the young children all dressed up, even little lads in smart suits and they seem to enjoy all the attention they receive.

Like allatc, I would be irritated at having to pack formal gear just for 2 nights.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Kenmo1 wrote: 01 May 2019, 09:47
It can be difficult for someone doing a short cruise for the first time to see if they like it. Why pay out for formal clothes if you are unlikely to get any further use from it if you decide cruising is not for you.
That kind of agrees with my point. If someone is cruising for the first time and doesn't like dressing up, then surely choose one of the informal lines which doesn't require it? Why choose to try something they know they're not going to like? Even if it's a 2-nighter, surely the point for the cruise company is to demonstrate a sample of their product. There'd surely be (even more) complaints if someone did a taster cruise where they could wear their shorts and t-shirt into the dining room and then found it was different when they committed to 14 night?

It's funny that you only ever seen this sort of discussion in a cruising context. Or have I missed it? Is there any other kind of holiday where people scan the brochure, choose something they don't like and then expect it to change to suit them?

BTW I have no problem whatsoever with those who don't like dressing up and are happy to use the less formal venues on those nights. It's the "I'll what I like, where I like and when I like, I've paid for my holiday and I don't care who I upset" brigade that annoy me. Because I pay for my holidays too with the expectation of a certain ambience, as advertised in the brochures, for a couple of nights a week.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 01 May 2019, 10:27, edited 2 times in total.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 01 May 2019, 10:20
Is there any other kind of holiday where people scan the brochure, choose something they don't like and then expect it to change to suit them?
Nudist resort? :crazy: :crazy:
Last edited by david63 on 01 May 2019, 10:26, edited 1 time in total.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

david63 wrote: 01 May 2019, 10:26
Mervyn and Trish wrote: 01 May 2019, 10:20
Is there any other kind of holiday where people scan the brochure, choose something they don't like and then expect it to change to suit them?
Nudist resort? :crazy: :crazy:
So long as you wear a bow tie!

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

or a sporran

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Stephen wrote: 01 May 2019, 11:39
or a sporran[/quote

Spoilsport. :lol:

Maureen
Last edited by Kenmo1 on 01 May 2019, 11:53, edited 1 time in total.

welshynurse
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by welshynurse »

We love the dressing up, mainly I suppose because nursing uniform is NOT glamorous! I probably dress up more on the casual nights than needed too, just because I can!
My daughter absolutely loved being able to dress like a 'princess' too, and she got so much attention on formal night..which she fully appreciated! I did find though that as she wore a pretty dress every night, I did hear coments of 'isnt it just a casual night?' Apparently you can't win either way!🙄

Honk honk
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Honk honk »

Kendhni wrote: 01 May 2019, 07:42
Guess I am different to most of you, if anything I 'tolerated' formal evenings. Been there done that!

Now we don't even bother packing formal gear but we do dress in smart casual (as defined by the cruise line) - I point blank refuse to wear ties these days under any circumstances (always hated them). I don't know why but over the years I have actually grown a serious distrust of anyone in a 3 piece suit and a certain level of caution towards anyone in a suit and tie - stupid, I know.

On formal nights we will either book one of the allowed select dining venues or go to the buffet restaurant (which is surprisingly busy with people in formal, smart casual, football and beach bum outfits). After dinner we head down to the show lounge/theatre/bars and enjoy the entertainment with everyone else - sadly the theatre seems to be full of waiters taking all the seats.

I print out the web page stating where formal gear is required, just in case I come across someone who is unaware - I have seen the odd sourpuss with a face on them that looks like they are sucking wasps dipped in mace as they look us up and down, but they never say anything. in fact the only comments we have heard, on multiple occasions, are 'you look much more comfortable than us' or 'Are you allowed to remove your formal gear?' (er, yes, it is not compulsory - and I show them my print out after which most seem to go back to the cabin to get changed, leaving us to look after their seats).

I don't complain if people want to dress up and I don't expect them to complain if I decide not to. Just follow the requirements, as laid out in your T&C and other guidance .... if someone does not like them then that is their problem not mine ... and I am on holiday ... so I don't care about their problems. :)
In all the writings of formal V Not formal,This is one of the best posts i have ever witnessed. We too are like Kendhni.. We cruise how we want,but adhere to the rules and avoid the areas we are not allowed in on formal evenings.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Same here Welshynurse.

I probably dress to a higher standard than necessary but then, to be fair, I probably always have.

Even 'back in the day' when my friends went out in a Fred Perry, Levis and Airwairs, I was in a Ben Sherman, Tonic suit and highly polished brogues.

I like names and brands and like to look smart most of the time.

I wouldn't dream of going out in what I'd call, kick around the house clothes.

I remember going to dinner with some friends a few years back to what is quite a posh restaurant.
He turned up like he'd just left the garden.
It was amplified because his wife had clearly made a great effort.
He's a wealthy guy, so I know it's not a money issue, just that he couldn't be ars*ed

Each to their own, but I like the odd dress up night. :thumbup:

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

We enjoy the formal evenings as it's the only opportunity we seem to get now a days to dress in that style! One of the reasons we choose P&O is the dress code being adhered to by the majority, although on recent cruises last year we noticed a decline.
Our next cruise is with Princess in Australia and we're not going to take formal for that one, shall wear smart casual and use alternative dinning on the formal evenings. We found the Americans on our last Princess cruise did not "do" the formal dress but still used the dinning rooms/restaurant.

Topic author
Midlandslass
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Midlandslass »

GillD46 wrote: 01 May 2019, 07:35
Midlandslass wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 18:32

Midlandslass, I wasn’t disputing what you posted. We must have been more fortunate, though I did once see someone in the Queen’s Room wearing a football shirt.
It's OK I didn't think you were disputing :)
We tend to eat early, around 6:30 to 7pm and go to the early show, maybe you like to dine late?
Every cruise is different and the same cruise viewed thru different eyes can be perceived in different ways.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We tend to go in about 7.15-7.30 and normally just about make the first show - if it’s something we want to see. Yes they’re all different.
Gill

gilly88
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by gilly88 »

Manoverboard wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 18:07
gilly88 wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 16:19
Manoverboard wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 15:38

Was he a flasher … ie the ship's photographer :angel:
no bless him, he was an older gent I think he had just endured a long coach trip and couldn't be ar***d to get changed :lol: :lol: never saw him again in the 12 nights on board.
Funny thing is that many years ago we had a similar experience to yours … everybody was slagging him off but it transpired that the airline had lost all his luggage so he had no other choices :lol:

good point mob, but this was first night out of southhampton, hence the raincoat! lol
regards gilly.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”