R303

Aurora cruises in 2023

Topic author
kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

R303

Post by kaymar »

Well, we've booked a midships balcony on B deck for March 2023, so that's two gambles - will we be back to "normal" and will we see the Northern Lights? Oh, yes and first time on Aurora, so make that three gambles.

Any advice on excursions and things to see (apart from Aurora Borealis, of course).

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Re: R303

Post by Onelife »

kaymar wrote: 27 May 2021, 19:31
Well, we've booked a midships balcony on B deck for March 2023, so that's two gambles - will we be back to "normal" and will we see the Northern Lights? Oh, yes and first time on Aurora, so make that three gambles.

Any advice on excursions and things to see (apart from Aurora Borealis, of course).
Hi Kaymar

There's no such thing as a good thing but your third gamble should return a few smiles :thumbup: .

if you want to go for a fourth gamble then "Sixcor" in the 5.30 at Brighton (tomorrow) should give you a good run for your money.

Enjoy!

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Another - will Aurora still be with P&O? Wouldn't surprise me if she's the next one to go.

Carole

Topic author
kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Onelife wrote: 27 May 2021, 20:15
kaymar wrote: 27 May 2021, 19:31

Hi Kaymar

There's no such thing as a good thing but your third gamble should return a few smiles :thumbup: .

if you want to go for a fourth gamble then "Sixcor" in the 5.30 at Brighton (tomorrow) should give you a good run for your money.

Enjoy!
Thanks, onelife. I got 100/30. A £2k stake will pay for our cruise, including the travel insurance. I'll send you a box of chocolates.

Topic author
kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

CaroleF wrote: 28 May 2021, 10:14
Another - will Aurora still be with P&O? Wouldn't surprise me if she's the next one to go.

Carole
Yes, you may well be right, Carole, that had occurred to me. What happens then?

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

If you intend trying to see the Northern Lights then you may want to consider one of the independent companies rather than using a P&O excursion as I belive the P&O ones are not that good.

We used https://www.glodexplorer.no/ when we went a few years ago and their organisation was really good - unfortunately the night we went was a "no show"

Topic author
kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

david63 wrote: 28 May 2021, 11:05
If you intend trying to see the Northern Lights then you may want to consider one of the independent companies rather than using a P&O excursion as I belive the P&O ones are not that good.

We used https://www.glodexplorer.no/ when we went a few years ago and their organisation was really good - unfortunately the night we went was a "no show"
Excellent,thanks, David. That looks like about £150 each - is that about right/ How would that compare with P&O?
Like you, we used a private company in St Petersburg and were delighted. Is this similarly superior, do you believe?
So, did you never actually see the Northern Lights at all?

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

kaymar wrote: 28 May 2021, 11:38
That looks like about £150 each - is that about right/
I cannot remember how much we paid but that sounds about right.
How would that compare with P&O?
The P&O excursion, from what I remember, takes you out to a field along with a few hundred others which means that there is a lot of light pollution. The private tour picked us up from the ship, took us to their HQ where we had a short talk about what was to happen, had some soup and those who need warm clothing were supplied with it.

We were then taken out to try and find the lights - the advantage with this tour is that they are in contact with others and will move around to try and find the best location. Towards the end they then make some excellent hot chocolate together with some cake.

We were then taken back to the ship.
did you never actually see the Northern Lights at all?
Nope - just stood around for four hours in -16C temperature gazing at clouds!

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Hi Kaymar… “Sixcor” got beat a neck…thank gawd you only had 2 grand on it ;) :lol:

If you want to chance your luck further you could try 1k ew on “Show me Show me” in the 1.45 at Haydock tomorrow….currently trading at 16/1 :thumbup: :) :wave:

Topic author
kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Onelife wrote: 28 May 2021, 20:04
Hi Kaymar… “Sixcor” got beat a neck…thank gawd you only had 2 grand on it ;) :lol:

If you want to chance your luck further you could try 1k ew on “Show me Show me” in the 1.45 at Haydock tomorrow….currently trading at 16/1 :thumbup: :) :wave:
That was my last £2k. I've cancelled the cruise. Played golf this afternoon. Lost. Thanks, anyway. :(

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Kaymar's obviously on a roll :lol:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

david63 wrote: 28 May 2021, 11:05

Excellent,thanks, David. That looks like about £150 each - is that about right/ How would that compare with P&O?
Like you, we used a private company in St Petersburg and were delighted. Is this similarly superior, do you believe?
So, did you never actually see the Northern Lights at all?
Booked the Glod trip entirely on your recommendation, David. No pressure ;) Good FX rate, so only c£135k each.
Also reindeer sleighing in the evening in Tromso with Tromsolapland. Both seems more attractive than the P&O options.
Just hope Sue gets Aurora safely back from S America in time for our cruise and that they have managed to clean up the mess from what sounds like an interesting BoB crossing.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

kaymar wrote: 09 Jan 2023, 19:14
Booked the Glod trip entirely on your recommendation, David. No pressure
But don't blame me if you do not see the Northern Lights - like what we didn't!!

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

I'm on R304 with my daughter. It's only a 4 night cruise and I know if any work needs doing P&O will have no hesitation in cancelling a short cruise. So please Kaymar see that everything is fine on the ship at the end of your cruise. Hopefully Sue will ensure that things are in full working order on her return.

Carole

Topic author
kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

CaroleF wrote: 10 Jan 2023, 17:10
I'm on R304 with my daughter. It's only a 4 night cruise and I know if any work needs doing P&O will have no hesitation in cancelling a short cruise. So please Kaymar see that everything is fine on the ship at the end of your cruise. Hopefully Sue will ensure that things are in full working order on her return.

Carole
Don't worry about us, Carole, it's what Sue and the rest bring back from South America that's the problem :lol:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Carole
We're booked on her in June 2024 so hope so. However I have ordered a Compo Form just on case.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 15 Jan 2023, 22:14

Carole
We're booked on her in June 2024 so hope so. However I have ordered a Compo Form just on case.
As long as you wealthy punters keep her full at the outrageous prices they charge, then I guess Carnival will be happy to keep her and Arcadia in the fleet.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 15 Jan 2023, 22:14

Carole

Haven’t seen you request form yet.

I blame Harry and the post.
Last edited by Stephen on 16 Jan 2023, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

towny44
As long as you wealthy punters keep her full at the outrageous prices they charge, then I guess Carnival will be happy to keep her and Arcadia in the fleet.

Neither will be getting our custom.
Aurora is now to small for our liking and Arcadia has never appealed to us.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Funny isn't it that when Aurora was launched people moaned she was too big! We're going pn her (hopefully) next year for one last trip recognising her days are probably numbered. She was our second cruise, the one that got us hooked, and our favourite for a long time.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

It's a good job that we are all different as Aurora is our least favourite ship in the P&O fleet, although I will admit that we have not tried either of the two new ones.

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

stephen if Aurora or Arcadia leave the p&o fleet that will be the end of our cruising with p&o and we will swop to fred olsen who have nice smaller ships we have been on Iona twice and although the ship itself was ok the amount of people on board was awful so we will leave those big ships to you so you can save a penny or too and come on her saying how cheap they are definitely not for us

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I don't think it's a case of if Aurora and/or Arcadia leave the fleet, rather when. Aurora is now 23 years old and Arcadia 18. They're old girls by modern cruising standards and will become increasingly costly to operate.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

poole boy wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 09:11
stephen if Aurora or Arcadia leave the p&o fleet that will be the end of our cruising with p&o and we will swop to fred olsen who have nice smaller ships we have been on Iona twice and although the ship itself was ok the amount of people on board was awful so we will leave those big ships to you so you can save a penny or too and come on her saying how cheap they are definitely not for us
Whether you leave the P&O fleet poole boy is entirely your choice and of no concern of mine.

Not having tried Iona I cannot comment. We may have a go on her some time in the future, we may not. My idea of a big ship is Ventura and Azura which we find just the right size for us.

As for price, are any cruises cheap these days?
Last edited by Stephen on 17 Jan 2023, 10:48, edited 1 time in total.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

I'm put off Britannia and Arvia because of their size, I have some walking difficulties, and because they are obviously aimed at families, much more like some American ships, all freedom dining, less formality than of old. I'm on Aurora for a short cruise in April just to get back into cruising after losing my husband. I too will only go on Aurora or Arcadia. I've been on both Azura and Ventura, purely because they were going where John and I wanted to visit. I don't warm to either of them although I used to prefer Azura to Ventura, not sure why.

I accept that I prefer what cruising used to be and that it's not what the younger generations want. There still seem to be enough cruisers to fill both Aurora and Arcadia. I was looking yesterday at cruises between 7-14 nights, if I decide after my four night one that I could think of cruising on my own. Cruises from Southampton, which is what I'd want, especially as I only live about 25 minutes away, seem to have little availability in the grades of cabin that I'd be looking at.

When I read on the internet, particularly the P&O groups on FB, questions from people who haven't cruised yet but have one booked, who don't seem to have any idea about life on board, haven't done any research before booking which seems astonishing to me. Some of the answers given amaze me but perhaps they shouldn't. People are told, no don't bother about dress codes, it's your holiday just wear what you want. Some people seem to want to avoid dining in the MDR at all. The new TV adverts are so different from how P&O used to be portrayed. The cruises are obviously aimed at younger cruisers, families including grandparents travelling with younger members. All this is fine, it's the way P&O or rather Carnival have decided is the way to go. For me it just means that I have to look at other cruise lines if I want to continue cruising. I have travelled on Fred Olsen, our very first cruise was on Braemar. I've since been on another two cruises with FO. I haven't been on any of their revamped Holland America ships so can't comment on them. John and I were intending going on Saga but Covid intervened and then he became ill. Saga may be another choice. So I don't know what my future cruising, if any will be.

Carole

Return to “Aurora Cruises 2023”