Ventura N215- 25/6/2022

Reports about cruises on Ventura

Topic author
Grundlefosse
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Ventura N215- 25/6/2022

Post by Grundlefosse »

I joined this community forum to get some information on Ventura. The last forum post was dated 2020. I hoped to get something a bit more up to date.
This will be my first ever cruise and will be solo. Any other solos going on it? And what one piece of advice would anyone give a “newbie”.
Ps. I choose not to do Facebook.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Ventura N215- 25/6/2022

Post by Manoverboard »

The latest that I can find relates to 2023 ... Click the link

ps ... Hello and welcome :wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Grundlefosse wrote: 20 May 2022, 15:23
The last forum post was dated 2020
Bear in mind that cruising stopped in March 2020 on Ventura due to the pandemic

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Hi Grundlefoss, the name is so central heating pump, anyhow welcome.
I have no experience of solo cruising and you have my full admiration. What I do know is that you will find there is a meet up on board ship for solo passengers, may be worth giving that a look. Booking a table of eight in the MDR may also give you a chance of making friends from there. Plus most cruise passengers are happy to chat with strangers in the evening especially.
May get more from our solo forum members.
Happy Cruising.
Don't worry, be happy

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Ray B wrote: 20 May 2022, 20:05
Hi Grundlefoss, the name is so central heating pump, anyhow welcome.
I have no experience of solo cruising and you have my full admiration. What I do know is that you will find there is a meet up on board ship for solo passengers, may be worth giving that a look. Booking a table of eight in the MDR may also give you a chance of making friends from there. Plus most cruise passengers are happy to chat with strangers in the evening especially.
May get more from our solo forum members.
Happy Cruising.

:lol:

Welcome to the forum Grundlefoss :thumbup:

Topic author
Grundlefosse
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Grundlefosse »

Thanks, all for welcome and suggestions.
I’m travelling to port on bus from North East England provided by P&O. Starting at 0500, can anyone tell me at what time I’m likely to get to terminal. I’m sure there will be many pickups on journey south so travel will be longer than 5 hrs 30 mins suggested by Google maps.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

The coaches normally arrive between 14:00 and 15:00 - they are allocated a time slot, especially now with the Covid protocols in place.

Just a small, but significant correction, the coaches are not provided by P&O as you have to book them seperately. The signifcance of this is that they do not then come under the package holiday terms meaning that if the coach is late in arriving and the ship has sailed you have no claim against P&O. To my knowledge in the last 20 years this has only happened once, with coaches, and in that instance P&O did all they could to get passengers to the next port of call to pick up the ship.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

david63 wrote: 21 May 2022, 10:09
The coaches normally arrive between 14:00 and 15:00 - they are allocated a time slot, especially now with the Covid protocols in place.

Just a small, but significant correction, the coaches are not provided by P&O as you have to book them seperately. The signifcance of this is that they do not then come under the package holiday terms meaning that if the coach is late in arriving and the ship has sailed you have no claim against P&O. To my knowledge in the last 20 years this has only happened once, with coaches, and in that instance P&O did all they could to get passengers to the next port of call to pick up the ship.
That's true David but coach travel is an option when you book Select and is paid for by P&O and my understanding is that it is part of the package - it is certainly listed in the confirmation letter from P&O. As you say though it rarely happens that the coach "misses" the ship sailing so I never think "what if I miss the ship" !!!

As an aside I am a solo traveller although fortunate to usually travel with family and friends. On the two occasions when I travelled alone I opted for a large table which worked well - I met some delightful and not so delightful people and in fact still keep in touch with some of them. I hope your trip goes well Grundlefosse (by the way what an amazing name) - you will be very safe and cared for on Ventura - look after her as I'm sailing on her in August :wave:
Janis

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

We’ve been Ventura 5 times and enjoyed every one. We’re not solo travellers but have met many, they always appear to have had a good time. As Ra has said, there is usually a meet up for solo travellers so I’m sure you will meet many like minded pax. The Vent is a friendly ship,you’ll have a good time.

Sorry Jan, she’ll be well wrecked by the time you get on.! We’re on her in 2 weeks. 🤣🤣
Mel

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

05:00 from Washington makes it an early start! However it goes easily as you will be excited at the prospect of your hols. Coaches are comfortable. There will be pick ups at Scotch Corner & Wetherby (& probably that will be it.) You will get a short break 15-20 mins in Yorkshire/Notts and then crack on to the south midlands where you will have an hour stop ( if you are not keen on service station food then take a picnic.) You should arrive at the ship at around 2:30.
Your luggage will be transported to your cabin directly from the coach. You only need to look after your hand luggage. After boarding you can use the buffet for a late lunch/early tea/ fly cup if you wish.
Ventura is big so keep the little map you are given to help find your way around (remember; the lower the cabin number the further forward you are and odd numbered cabins are starboard side.) I still manage to go the wrong way at least once every cruise!
At the end of your cruise you will need to put your case out the night before and then collect it from the arrivals hall- a piece or ribbon tied to the handle or a coloured strap may make your case easier to locate.
We haven’t been on Ventura before ( been a few times on her sister, Azura)but are on the cruise before you.
One last point: with our mobiles we get free roaming & calls in Portugal & Spain (well, it’s in with the package,) in Guernsey however we would be charged for calls and data. Maybe worth checking with your provider.
Enjoy your cruise.
Last edited by Ranchi on 06 Jun 2022, 15:49, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Grundlefosse
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Grundlefosse »

Thanks Ranchi for the coach information, really helpful. I’ve been given a checkin time of 1245 so arriving at 1430 isn’t going to cause problems, is it?
As regards luggage as well as putting a piece of ribbon on it, I’d better put a life jacket on it after luggage cage for Ventura got dropped in the water whilst being loaded just the other day. :o

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

Coach passengers are all sent aboard together as they arrive. The difference in time between your allocated time & the coach arrival won’t be a problem. It might be worth checking at reception a few days into your cruise that they know that you are getting the coach home to ensure you are allocated an appropriate disembarkation time for coach travel.
Last edited by Ranchi on 07 Jun 2022, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Grundlefosse wrote: 07 Jun 2022, 09:24
Thanks Ranchi for the coach information, really helpful. I’ve been given a checkin time of 1245 so arriving at 1430 isn’t going to cause problems, is it?
As regards luggage as well as putting a piece of ribbon on it, I’d better put a life jacket on it after luggage cage for Ventura got dropped in the water whilst being loaded just the other day. :o

I didn’t think the gap between the ship and quayside was big enough for a cage to drop through. But I’ll pack my snorkel kit just in case :)

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Some of those big fenders can hold a ship 2mts off the quayside.
Don't worry, be happy

Return to “Ventura Cruise Reports”