Topic author
Keithhodson
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Iona cruise

Post by Keithhodson »

Just back from second cruise to Norway on Iona

First cruises since covid but was a regular pro cruiser before
Luckily booked a suite for both cruises so was not affected by some of the recent changes,still had evening turn down and clean. But missed the small touch of a chocolate on pillow
The butler was excellent and we used regular for breakfast and meals
Cabin was good but not as roomy as some of the older ships. But the separation between dayroom and bedroom really worked.Balcony was excellent.

The negatives are it a big ship and at times areas get very crowded
The Vista cafe often was under staffed ,with waiters being overwhelmed by queues for take away.waited 40 mins to be served one morning at 1000 at a table spoils the experience

They could do with a separate take away counter with dedicated staff.

The entertainment needs to improve having headlines doing two shows over 4nights
Is a big reduction on what we have experienced on other cruise ships

The Aerial shows one was good but Rise more suited to an afternoon children show

The food quality is now no better than average. No longer what shall I have more what can I eat

Evenings in buffet used to have tables with linen clothes laid out no more and again takes away a sense of occasion

Meals choice in main restaurants greatly reduced and quality hit and miss

Norwegian fiords we’re spectacular

But wondering whether to change cruise I booked on Arvia for next year

Ship obviously still has staffing issues with venues capacity reduced
Bars opening less hours

Nice ship not sure public spaces have wow factor of older ships

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: Iona cruise

Post by barney »

Thanks for your review Keith and welcome to the forum.
I’d reckon that it’s a no brainer that you should cancel your Arvia cruise if you don’t like Iona.
It would be madness to spend that sort of money if you don’t enjoy it.
Have you considered Saga Cruises?
It’s a small ship experience.
We have friends who travel with them three or four times a year in a suite and really rate it.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Welcome to the forum Keithhodson

We recently returned from Aurora and agree, noticeable cut backs, including but not all, the food choice, portion sizes and quality. New cruisers would probably think it’s wonderful but us old hands remember the better times, and not that long ago either.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Our experience of Iona was very different. We loved her. But it's all down to personal preference. I'd agree with Barney that if you didn't like Iona Arvia might not be a good idea. I'd also agree with the Saga recommendation. Very different but we loved that too for different reasons.

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

we can see both sides in this as we sailed on Iona august 2021 the second cruise after covid shut down we were thrilled with the boat and at first thought it was wonderful but we then realised it only had 50% of the passengers on board it would normally have double that number so we started to worry about space on board and if it would be easy to get meals and service I was very doubtful but the wife thought it might just be ok so we have booked Iona again for 22 October school half term and we have agreed that if it is busy we will forget Iona if not we will look to book it again

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

You can absolutely guarantee that the ship will be busy at half term.
If it’s not busy with families, then the company is in big trouble.
School holidays are generally capacity on the family friendly ships.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

It was near capacity on ours for sure.

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Thankfully it’s not half term when we go, not that it stops people taking children out of school.!
Mel

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

screwy wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 09:36
Thankfully it’s not half term when we go, not that it stops people taking children out of school.!
Nor should it as long as the privilege is not abused, that would lead to a much fairer holidag pricing system for families, at a time when they certainly need it.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

We wouldn’t dream of going anywhere on holiday during the school holidays.
We’re lucky that we can travel off peak.
Sometimes the price difference during holidays is frightening.
Rentals down my way go through the roof.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

We used to get requests from parents to take their children out of school for holidays when I was teaching. I was very tempted to send an email saying that I would be absent for a week as I was taking advantage of the price difference out of term time. Never did of course! It was amazing the requests I used to get - I was Head of the Junior School at this point. One parents whose daughter was in the top junior class asked if I would let him have all the work she would miss so she could complete it and then expected to have it marked when she returned. I said, no, amongst other comments. The father didn't like that and complained to the Head of the whole School - we took girls from 4-16. She relished telling him exactly what she thought, very politely of course!

Carole

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

We normally avoid school holidays when going away. We had no choice this year because we were taking our grandchildren with us.

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

If I wanted to holiday with Kids,I’d take my own. We never took our daughter out of school.
Yes it was dearer in school holidays but if you want a holiday, you pay the price.
Mel

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

screwy wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 16:41
If I wanted to holiday with Kids,I’d take my own. We never took our daughter out of school.
Yes it was dearer in school holidays but if you want a holiday, you pay the price.
I think that in the modern world of computers, the internet and WFH, there needs to be a rethink of these archaic rules which are more Victorian than Caroleon, and I also think that some flexibility ought to be possible for teachers as well.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Return to “Iona Cruise Reports”