Arcadia World Cruise 2014

Anything to do with World Cruises

incawat
Cadet
Cadet

Re: Arcadia World Cruise 2014

Post by incawat »

Hi Sue ,
We to have booked a balcony cabin on B deck aft for the same reason as you.
We are on the Southampton to Perth leg of the cruise,the Australian ports are my memories from my youth when I was a bell boy and steward in the late 50's.Ian

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Hi Ian and Cathy,

We could well be neighbours then.

Have you sailed in these cabins before?

Hope we get plenty of sun. I seem to remember the aft of Arcadia is tiered.

Sue

incawat
Cadet
Cadet

Post by incawat »

Hi Sue,
No it is our first cruise on Arcadia.
Oriana is our favourite .
We have never had a cabin on B deck either so it will all be new to us,hopefully it will be sunshine all the way.
Already booked taxi hotel really looking forward to departure ,six months will fly by.
Ian

jsmith11
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by jsmith11 »

Hi all,

I have just discovered this forum. Have enjoyed reading all your posts. We are joining the cruise in Adelaide SA, our hometown, and sailing to Southampton. Can only afford an inside cabin as we are spending another 6 weeks in Europe following the cruise. Have only cruised twice before about 30 years on party ships around Fiji.

I'm a bit like others hoping to win the lottery and upgrade our cabin but i'm sure it will be fine. Any tips from others who have taken a long cruise in an inside cabin greatly appreciated.

Less than 30 weeks to go but who's counting.

John & Helen
Adelaide SA.

incawat
Cadet
Cadet

Post by incawat »

Hi John and Helen,
I'am sure you will have a fantastic trip.
Six weeks touring around Europe sounds very exciting ,what countries are you visiting?
Ian and Cathy.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Hi John & Helen,
Welcome to the forum.
We have cruised on Arcadia in an inside cabin but not for longer thn 2 weeks.

They are okay some better designed than others depending which deck you are on. The best value cabins imo are the outside restricted view cabins on E deck.

When we first booked this cruise the price difference between inside and the outside restricted view was not very much but you do get a much larger cabin with a sofa.

This weekend we decided to upgrade to a balcony as we noticed a large aft balcony cabin had become available. This was a big jump in cost but hopefully it ill be worth it for the outside space.

Look forward to meeting you on board. We board in LA so are down to 25 weeks now.

Sue

incawat
Cadet
Cadet

Post by incawat »

Hi Sue,
Any news about Gary,I hope he is ok.
At the moment a bit nervous as I am having a cataract op this Friday ,friends who have gone through the same procedure say nothing to it.
Ian Cathy

jsmith11
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by jsmith11 »

Hi Ian & Cathy and Sue.

Thanks for the welcome. After the cruise we have a week in London then 3 weeks visiting Paris, Geneva, Salzburg , Prague and Berlin. Then back to UK and down to Devon for a week with UK friends. Then the final week around Cotswold area. Then home via Hong Kong for 4 days.

Very much looking forward to the cruise and getting to leave from Adelaide is a real bonus.

Have booked our tours for Egypt via P & O as we are not that confident about taking an outside tour company in that area.

Then back to work to clear the credit card LOL.

Val1968
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Val1968 »

Hello All
We are on this cruise for the duration. We have just found out that our Captain is Sarah Breton- Oh Dear !! we sailed with her on Aurora in 2011 and we found her very elusive. Avoided all contact with passengers and rarely made a ship announcement. She may be shy, we gave her the benefit of the doubt but still felt like containers rather than passengers in her care. We have looked on other forums hoping that she has changed her ways since then but it appears not. Have any of you sailed with her before?

Having said this ,one person does not necessarily spoil a trip.

Regard
Val & Ian

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Val1968 wrote:
We have just found out that our Captain is Sarah Breton- Oh Dear !!

Have any of you sailed with her before?
Yep ... surprisingly she managed to find all the Ports, could park and even reversed the ship a couple of times. Her role is to drive the ship, not to keep me amused ... or have I got that all wrong ?

;)
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Manoverboard wrote:
Val1968 wrote:
We have just found out that our Captain is Sarah Breton- Oh Dear !!

Have any of you sailed with her before?
Yep ... surprisingly she managed to find all the Ports, could park and even reversed the ship a couple of times. Her role is to drive the ship, not to keep me amused ... or have I got that all wrong ?

;)
We have too, a couple of times. She's perfectly competent and not too intrusive, all that a captain should be.

Val1968
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Val1968 »

I agree but thought perhaps she may be able to multi task.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Val1968 wrote:
I agree but thought perhaps she may be able to multi task.
I'd rather they didn't.

sunlover
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by sunlover »

Val1968 wrote:
Hello All
We are on this cruise for the duration. We have just found out that our Captain is Sarah Breton- Oh Dear !! we sailed with her on Aurora in 2011 and we found her very elusive. Avoided all contact with passengers and rarely made a ship announcement. She may be shy, we gave her the benefit of the doubt but still felt like containers rather than passengers in her care. We have looked on other forums hoping that she has changed her ways since then but it appears not. Have any of you sailed with her before?

Having said this ,one person does not necessarily spoil a trip.

Regard
Val & Ian

Yes,
I have and she is the most unsociable Captain to sail the high seas. She was on ARCADIA world cruise this year and what with her and rest of the bad stuff it was not a good cruise. I think you should change your booking before it's too
late. Switch it to Cunard you will get better treatment,
Read the reviews from 2013world cruise. you will get the picture. Look on cruise. Co.uk plenty of bad reviews about the world cruise 2013.
IF you go I hope you have a better time than this years paxs had. Good luck, you will need it!

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

A little balance is required for those who aim to enjoy the 2014 version.

Many of the problems relating to Arcadia's 2013 World Cruise were NOT the fault of the Captain and just because she may not pander to the egos of the precious few does not make her an unsociable person ... in my opinion.

A Topic on this cruise from this site may be useful ... as per

http://www.cruise-community.me.uk/viewt ... 102&t=1139

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

If I were ever to do a world cruise the choice of captain would be last on my list.

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
If I were ever to do a world cruise the choice of captain would be last on my list.
I think I'm with you QB. She was the captain on our first cruise and I didn't understand why people moaned about her. She got us from A to B very safely and we were grateful. Of course now I've cruised a few times I know what people expect from a captain and I suppose she isn't the most friendly. However if she'd been on my world cruise it would have made no difference to me. The ones we had were nice enough, but the main thing is they know what they are doing.

sunlover
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by sunlover »

Manoverboard wrote:
A little balance is required for those who aim to enjoy the 2014 version.

Many of the problems relating to Arcadia's 2013 World Cruise were NOT the fault of the Captain and just because she may not pander to the egos of the precious few does not make her an unsociable person ... in my opinion.

A Topic on this cruise from this site may be useful ... as per

http://www.cruise-community.me.uk/viewt ... 102&t=1139
Hi MOB. The link you gave was really nothing to do with what happened on the 2013 Arcadia world cruise.It was just a few comments from people who were not there. So really not any use.
The Captain on this cruise could have made the whole experience better if she had been more vocal and took an interest in what people were doing, thinking and upset about.
She made no effort to please people till the last two ports where she did damage limitation by coming out on the open deck to be seen as a caring Captain.
She did not care when she steered the ship too far out at sea to be able to see Easter Island statue heads. She did care when we reached Pitcairns and never went near Bounty Bay. Nor did she care that 40 plus Pitcairn Islanders had struggled two hours to reach the ship, only to be allowed on board for two hours. Hundreds of passengers were disappointed as they were not able to get into the restaurant where they had set up shop as security locked them out and then the islanders had to leave asap.
Nor did she care that the ships agent told her the Falklands would be easy to access if we waited till 11-0 am. No she steered off at a snails pace as the ship was days ahead of schedule from missing ports.
There was an awful lot of things went wrong on this cruise and unless you were there you have no idea.
Plus anyone who thinks it was a load of moaners who had nothing else to do, you are wrong.
Many or more like hundreds of very upset world cruisers who are seasoned travellers and had paid over £25.000 to be there were very upset indeed and rightly so. The above comments are only a small amount of things that caused this cruise to be so bad. I am sure it is easy to sit there and write what aload of whingers and moaners, but if you had paid what was a life times saving for the cruise I think. most people would moan. P&O messed up big time and now they are still having to sort it out as many passengers have not let this go and are taking action.
P&O canceled the whole country of Argentina on the 12th Dec. 2012. Less than amonth before departure. They had known what the situation was for over a year but continued to sell the cruise as Argentina. They waited till all money had been paid. No one allowed to cancel. No port fees and taxes refunded. Disgraceful.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Yes, I accept all that and appreciate your anger ' Sunlover ' but surely your beef is, was, with P&O rather than a particular lady Captain who failed to meet your personal expectations.

Advising fellow Members to jump ship to Cunard because of your strong feelings towards a P&O Member of staff who is not able to defend herself is surely a one sided over reaction and especially so when it is entirely possible that the same Captain may be seen anytime soon driving a Cunard ship.

As an aside ... it is not factually correct to advise that ' nobody ' was able to cancel following P&O's announcement that the ports in Argentina were to be dropped.

sunlover
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by sunlover »

m[indent][/indent]
Manoverboard wrote:
Yes, I accept all that and appreciate your anger ' Sunlover ' but surely your beef is, was, with P&O rather than a particular lady Captain who failed to meet your personal expectations.

Advising fellow Members to jump ship to Cunard because of your strong feelings towards a P&O Member of staff who is not able to defend herself is surely a one sided over reaction and especially so when it is entirely possible that the same Captain may be seen anytime soon driving a Cunard ship.

As an aside ... it is not factually correct to advise that ' nobody ' was able to cancel following P&O's announcement that the ports in Argentina were to be dropped.

Full world cruise passengers were not able to cancel other than loose their full payment of money. Segment passengers were given a chance to cancel or re book another cruise. This was not an option for full world cruisers.
The Captain did nothing to en hence the quality of the cruise.

incawat
Cadet
Cadet

Post by incawat »

Less than one hundred day's to go for us.
We have had our letter from P&O to remind us of payment ,how could we forget.
We have sailed with Captain Sarah Breton on the Artemis and found her very professional and nice to talk to.
We are sailing from Southampton to Perth I do wonder how many ports we will miss.
But I know we will enjoy sailing on Arcadia.
Ian &Cathy.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Hi all,

Not worried at all about who the captain is as long as they sail the ship and stop any pursues from boarding. Wouldn't be too quick about jumping ship to Cunard either. Our friends did a leg of the WC this year on QE and it was the worst cruising experience ever in terms of food, staff, and entertainment. They loved the cabin and sailing through the Panama but Cunard - never again.

Sue

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Just got home from Ventura. Great cruise. Our visa pack was waiting for us so must get round to that ASAP as need passports back for Azura Xmas cruise.

Sue

sunlover
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by sunlover »

Suekersh wrote:
Hi all,

Not worried at all about who the captain is as long as they sail the ship and stop any pursues from boarding. Wouldn't be too quick about jumping ship to Cunard either. Our friends did a leg of the WC this year on QE and it was the worst cruising experience ever in terms of food, staff, and entertainment. They loved the cabin and sailing through the Panama but Cunard - never again.

Sue
You will never please all passengers on a cruise so your friends are an example of this which is fine. However, over 400 full world cruise passengers were very unhappy about their full world cruise, not just a segment. So much so that they have taken action and have not let it end when they left the ship. P&O got it wrong and they know it. Lets hope they do better for next years full world cruisers.

arcadialover
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by arcadialover »

We have had her as captain and whilst she may not be the funniest of captains aboard and does come across as serious, she is very safety conscious and always kept us up to date on things and gave a very informed weather forecast

Return to “World Cruises”