Arcadia World Cruise 2014

Anything to do with World Cruises

incawat
Cadet
Cadet

Re: Arcadia World Cruise 2014

Post by incawat »

Time is now passing very quickly ,tours booked esta and evisitor forms received.
Renewed passports arrived, only 5 days from start to finnish amazing.
ONLY 87 DAY`S to go.
Ian & Cathy

jemgee
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by jemgee »

Hi all

We were on Aurora Southampton to SF this year. Only recently booked LA to Auckland as we left it too late to get Aurora SF to Auckland. Original intention was to join Arcadia Sydney to Singapore and we missed that as well - so its Ocean Princess instead which gives a longer break in NZ and better port itinery as well.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Hi all,

Time is moving on fast. Final balance has been paid ( ouch).

American ESTA and Australian ETA all sorted. Indian Visa forms completed but web site playing up and won't accept payment so will have to fork out a further £12.50 to get postal order, this is on top of £104 each to get the visa. All for 12 hours in Mumbai. Is this the most expensive visa in the world?

Trips booked and the PO ones paid for. Lots of ports we are going to DIY and I have been researching these all year. In Mumbai we are joining other pax on an 8 hour private tour and we have booked a private tour in Bali.

I was messing around on the cruise Personaliser, and noticed that I could book a date and time in the speciality restaurants, so booked Ocean Grill for our Wedding Anniversary. Payment was taken and our 10 % discount deducted.

I have just asked Father Christmas for some Tap Dancing shoes as I have been informed that our CD teaches tap on board world cruises. A good way to exercise without the monotony of the treadmill.

Sue

sunlover
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by sunlover »

Suekersh wrote:
Hi all,

Time is moving on fast. Final balance has been paid ( ouch).

American ESTA and Australian ETA all sorted. Indian Visa forms completed but web site playing up and won't accept payment so will have to fork out a further £12.50 to get postal order, this is on top of £104 each to get the visa. All for 12 hours in Mumbai. Is this the most expensive visa in the world?

Trips booked and the PO ones paid for. Lots of ports we are going to DIY and I have been researching these all year. In Mumbai we are joining other pax on an 8 hour private tour and we have booked a private tour in Bali.

I was messing around on the cruise Personaliser, and noticed that I could book a date and time in the speciality restaurants, so booked Ocean Grill for our Wedding Anniversary. Payment was taken and our 10 % discount deducted.

I have just asked Father Christmas for some Tap Dancing shoes as I have been informed that our CD teaches tap on board world cruises. A good way to exercise without the monotony of the treadmill.

Sue

Christine Noble teaches tap dancing and so does her assistant a guy who's name I forget. She is very good, but conditions not always good.
Be careful you don't fall as it is the new dangerous sport, take care. :moresarcasm:

jsmith11
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by jsmith11 »

Hi all,

I notice that HAL have cancelled all their cruises to Egypt for 2014. http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5587

If the unrest continues what will P & O do? Will they still go through the Suez Canel and skip the Egypt ports?

John

sunlover
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by sunlover »

jsmith11 wrote:
Hi all,

I notice that HAL have cancelled all their cruises to Egypt for 2014. http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5587

If the unrest continues what will P & O do? Will they still go through the Suez Canel and skip the Egypt ports?

John
I am sure they will go through the canal.They could cancel Egypt and visit another port. Although if P&O decide to canel ports they may not bother to replace them. The have been known to do this in the past.
Any world cruiser should be bearing in mind you pass through the Gulf od Aden so you will be on pirate alert!
Ship blacked out, no walking around deck after dusk and armed guards on board. Plus you do pirate attack practise. Inside cabins stay inside, the rest sit out side your cabin door on the floor. Be prepared! Have fun.

davidk-mc1
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by davidk-mc1 »

I am booked on the Singapore to Dubai section with my wife and four friends. this is our second cruise, the first was with the Ventura to the caribbean , i hope this is as good. With extra days in Singapore and Dubai i am realy looking forward to the cruise. :lol:

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Hi David,

We also disembark in Dubai and have three days there.

There is a large roll call on the cruise critic Arcadia 2014 thread. It appears to be growing daily.

Lots of really good info over there from previous world cruisers.

Good luck with your Indian visas.

Sue

jsmith11
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by jsmith11 »

100 days until we join Arcadia in Adelaide for the 42 night voyage to Southampton. Can't wait.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Hi all,

Only 27 days until we leave home to join Arcadia on the World cruise.

New Year guests have now gone home, and the bedding washed. We didn't put the suitcases away from our Xmas cruise so these are now ready to be packed again. I have lists for lists and have no idea how to start packing for 57 nights away from home.

I am still ironing the clothes from the last cruise and that will be this weekends job.

Very excited but every time I think about it I have to take a deep breath.

Sue

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Suekersh wrote:
Hi all,

Only 27 days until we leave home to join Arcadia on the World cruise.

New Year guests have now gone home, and the bedding washed. We didn't put the suitcases away from our Xmas cruise so these are now ready to be packed again. I have lists for lists and have no idea how to start packing for 57 nights away from home.

I am still ironing the clothes from the last cruise and that will be this weekends job.

Very excited but every time I think about it I have to take a deep breath.

Sue
I will be interested to read how you prepare for such a voyage as we are doing that length next year on QE. In the mean time, we board QM2 in Dubai in April, for her last leg. But that's a mere 18 nights :lol:
Gill

incawat
Cadet
Cadet

Post by incawat »

Hi All,
6 days to go,5 suitcases out waiting to be filled.
This cruise is the longest we will have done, our previous longest was 35 nights, so I expect we will have too much or to little of various items.
Cathy bought from Argos some plastic bags which you pack then expel air from them to compact the clothes inside.A space saving idea.
Recommend by friends,I do not know if they will work.
Still a busy weekend then last two day's at work then a drive down to Southampton overnight at the Holiday Inn.
Looking forward to meeting everybody .
Ian and Cathy

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Bon voyage to all sailing on Arcadia today on the first leg of the World Cruise.

Hope you have a calm sailing of the BOB and the Atlantic Ocean and look forward to joining you in 3 weeks time.

Sue

Peter D
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Peter D »

Bon voyage Sue, have a great cruise.
Regards

Peter

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Probably a bit late as a warning but the signs in the city today say 'CONGESTION WATERFRONT DELAYS'. Not surprising really considering there are five cruise ships in port:

ARCADIA
SAGA RUBY
SAGA PEARL II
QUEEN MARY 2
QUEEN ELIZABETH

Bon voyage everybody!

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Hi all,

The Arcadia will be transmitting the Panama Canal today. It has to be ready to go at 6am their time so 11 am ours. I will be looking in from 12 noonish.

Only 6 days until we fly out to LA before joining the ship on 2 February.

Sue

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

The Arcadia is just reaching the first lock.
Quite a clear picture on the web cam but doesn't look very sunny.

Sue

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Suekersh wrote:
The Arcadia is just reaching the first lock.
Quite a clear picture on the web cam but doesn't look very sunny.

Sue
Thanks, I've just found her on AIS. The ship ahead of her is the Hanjin Philadelphia and the blue one forward and to the left is the Maersk Bratan.

I've found this site very useful, it allows you to go anywhere in the world and see the AIS traffic:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

I used a mixture of web cams to view including the Princess one as Coral was just behind Arcadia.

A while now before more action.

I have heard from pax on board that all is well on board. Captain Sarah Breton is only noticeable by her absence. She is disembarking at LA according to P & O so we will miss the pleasure of her captaincy. Captain A Hashmi is to take over. He has recently been Deputy Captain on the Cunard ships so a promotion for him.

The entertainment team headed by Christine Noble are doing a sterling job and the food has also had the thumbs up. Looking forward to joining in LA where apparently 1,000 pax are disembarking.

Surely this shows how popular the Panama Canal cruises are.

Sue

JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

Wow Sue (and Garry ) not long now, hope you have ( and I am sure you will) a fabulous cruise. Try and keep us updated as and when you can... Best wishes...
Jenni

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Hi Jenny. Dennis The a Menace has took on the job of posting my reports for me. It may be a long while between them because of sea days but will post as often as I get Wi Fi.

We are getting very excited here, we have a busy weekend ahead saying goodbye to our granddaughters.

Sue

Belle53
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Belle53 »

Really looking forward to reading your reports Sue, hope you have a wonderful time, what an adventure you must be so excited.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

We are at Heathrow now waiting for gate to open. Last night in a Renaissance hotel was fine. Great breakfast this morning, room okay for 1 night a bit noisy in the hotel as very busy all of the time. No noise from the planes though which amazed me.

Next stop Los Angeles.

Sue

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Have a wonderful time, Sue.
Gill

Peter D
Second Officer
Second Officer