Iona cabins

Topics relating to P&O

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Iona cabins

Post by Stephen »

A question for those that have been on Iona.

Are the conservatory mini-suite cabins worth it (approx 274 square feet) compared to a deluxe cabin (226-326 square feet)?

Looking at mid-ships.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Iona cabins

Post by david63 »

Haven't been on Iona, but all the reports I have read say steer clear of the conservatory mini-suites unless you like having passengers eyeballing you as they walk past

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

I’m on Iona at the moment and there is no way I’d have a cabin on Promenade deck 8 with people not only walking past but actually sitting on beds literally outside your cabin. There are also jacuzzi pools along that deck - very popular from early in the morning. I have no idea if these are conservatory suites but if they are it wouldn’t be my choice.

I have a GB grade balcony cabin on deck 10 - it would sleep 4 - it has a double bed plus a very large settee and a bed that must come down from the ceiling. Nice size balcony (bigger than on Britannia) - I’m very pleased with it - lifts around the corner.

I’ll go into more detail when I return - that’s if I find my way off the ship - it’s big !!!!
Janis

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Both the cabins mentioned are currently on deck 9 although the conservatory suite is right next to the lifts and stairs so that's a no no.

Just a consideration at the moment thinking the cruise would tie in nicely for my birthday when I go from a a trainee pensioner to a full member :thumbup:

These are the Deluxe cabins on deck 9 that are currently available. Whether they are good mid-ship cabins I wouldn't know.

Untitled.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Stephen on 14 Jun 2023, 14:20, edited 2 times in total.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

As you know we booked just a few weeks ago and our cabins are 10307 and 10309 which are classed as mid forward. Lifts just around the corner - handy for theatre and crows nest etc but opposite end of ship for most of the restaurants. Be careful with those cabins on the curve as I notice those at the end of the curve have sideways balconies- may be ok but long and narrow by the look of it. May be your TA or P&O can advise you. To be honest I’d go higher because of the noise from deck 8 and the eateries opening out onto deck 8 too which are midship.
Janis

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Thanks Jan. I’ll take a look at the deck plan.

It’s all theoretical at the moment.

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Jan Rosser wrote: 14 Jun 2023, 14:44
As you know we booked just a few weeks ago and our cabins are 10307 and 10309 which are classed as mid forward. Lifts just around the corner - handy for theatre and crows nest etc but opposite end of ship for most of the restaurants. Be careful with those cabins on the curve as I notice those at the end of the curve have sideways balconies- may be ok but long and narrow by the look of it. May be your TA or P&O can advise you. To be honest I’d go higher because of the noise from deck 8 and the eateries opening out onto deck 8 too which are midship.

Just had a look on deck 11 Jan with cabins located in the same bulge area of the ship. The mid bulge, as I call them, cabin balconies do look bigger than the ones that follow a straight deck line.
Last edited by Stephen on 14 Jun 2023, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

No problem Stephen - roasting on the balcony at the moment - stunning view of a cascade of water coming down the mountain in Hellesylt - beautiful place.
Janis

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Stephen wrote: 14 Jun 2023, 14:16
Both the cabins mentioned are currently on deck 9 although the conservatory suite is right next to the lifts and stairs so that's a no no.

Just a consideration at the moment thinking the cruise would tie in nicely for my birthday when I go from a a trainee pensioner to a full member :thumbup:

These are the Deluxe cabins on deck 9 that are currently available. Whether they are good mid-ship cabins I wouldn't know.

Untitled.jpg
There is no noise issue from any of the lifts on Iona, the lift lobbies are in the centre of the ship and you have inside cabins between the balcony cabins and the lifts. All accessible cabins are near to a lift lobby and we did not notice any noise from passengers passing our cabin from the lifts or stairs. Plus it is very convenient not having to trek too far on the corridor to your cabin.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Stephen wrote: 14 Jun 2023, 15:08
Jan Rosser wrote: 14 Jun 2023, 14:44

Just had a look on deck 11 Jan with cabins located in the same bulge area of the ship. The mid bulge, as I call them, cabin balconies do look bigger than the ones that follow a straight deck line.
The standard balconies are reasonably spacious on Iona, slightly bigger than the standard ones on Azura and Ventura, and much bigger than those on Britannia.
John

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Thanks John

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I have booked a deluxe balcony cabin on deck 12 for next June on Iona.

Lindsey

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We had 10434. Lovely cabin.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

That's spooky Merv, ours is 12434.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Whynd1 wrote: 14 Jun 2023, 19:15
That's spooky Merv, ours is 12434.
:thumbup:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Just to add as the original question was about the conservatory mini suites I think there are some that are not on the Promenade Deck but presumably more expensive. I'd still go for the deluxe.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 14 Jun 2023, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 14 Jun 2023, 20:40
Just to add as the original question was about the conservatory mini suites I think there are some that are not on the Promenade Deck but presumably more expensive. I'd still go for the deluxe.
Am I correct in assuming from the deck plans, that the overall length of deluxe and conservatory cabins, including balconies, is the same? If so then you get a bigger living space in a deluxe cabin.
John

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I think so. Though isn't the idea of the conservatory cabins that the conservatory bit can be indoor or outdoor space? Not been in one.

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

It seems to vary depending on where the Deluxe cabins are located. I would assume going by the deck plan image that the mid-ship bulge cabins as I call them would be the bigger cabins. But then what do I know.

Conservatory mini-suite (approx 274 square feet)
Deluxe cabin (226-326 square feet)
Last edited by Stephen on 15 Jun 2023, 09:48, edited 1 time in total.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

You're probably right. 10434 is mid bulge and has a bigger balcony than those either side, that progressively get smaller to the ends of the bulge. I think the cabins are probably the same size but the P&O figure usually includes the balcony so that could make quite a difference.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Just for once we have opted for the upgrade,this was before the bidding thing came in. As we are in the top grade, the upgrade would be a mini conservatory suite. Dont mind either way.

Just be nice to be away and ut must be over 30 years since I last visited the Fjords.

Lindsey

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Whynd1 wrote: 15 Jun 2023, 11:32
Just for once we have opted for the upgrade,this was before the bidding thing came in. As we are in the top grade, the upgrade would be a mini conservatory suite. Dont mind either way.

Just be nice to be away and ut must be over 30 years since I last visited the Fjords.

Lindsey
Lindsey, would you be happy with a promenade deck balcony with people walking past and staring in at you?
Last edited by towny44 on 15 Jun 2023, 11:36, edited 1 time in total.
John

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Whynd1 wrote: 15 Jun 2023, 11:32

Lindsey

what's 'the bidding thing'?
Meg
x

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Before you sail if there are better cabins available they invite your bids for the upgrades. So less likely to be freebie upgrades available. Cunard do it too.

Return to “P&O”