Cutbacks on P&O - good or bad?

Topics that are specific to cruising

Eddie99
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Re: Cutbacks on P&O - good or bad?

Post by Eddie99 »

I always thought P&O offered good value for money. I still do, even though both what it offers now and what it costs have reduced. The base cost now is much, much less than when we started cruising in 2010. Our introductory cruise was the standard one week to the fiords, on Ventura, in early September, so out of high season. Cost £899pp in an inside cabin. Inflation makes that equivalent to over £1300 now. We had a band at sail away from Southampton, “savouries” offered after dessert and all the things in the list in the OP. We also paid a daily gratuity charge. Some fiords cruises went for less than £500 this year. I don’t think any were more than £899 (certainly not £1300) for an inside

Mostly, all through life, you get what you pay for. I’m sure you pays yer money and takes yer choice

I’m returning to cruising shortly post-Covid for a winter sun break on Iona. This is a much rearranged event, which was probably originally booked as a Med cruise early autumn 2020. From what I’ve read, the ship and service will not be what I was used to. The sun will be though! It’s a very reasonable cost.

After that, I have similar booked on Cunard for 2025, and I’ll look at their winter 2026 brochure when it’s released. I think Cunard (possibly Saga) is now my price level and service level. I’ll leave P&O with fond memories. I don’t begrudge people with tighter finances the fun of a cruise holiday. I don’t sneer at anyone who likes a bargain taking the compromise and remaining with P&O. Pay yer money - take yer choice

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I think it is such a shame that P&O is trimming the bone so far now that it is losing the 'Wow' factor in order to cater for a different clientele.

You get what you pay for and personally I would prefer to pay extra if it means I enjoy the 'Wow' factor when I step aboard otherwise P&O starts to feel like Travelodge at Sea.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

oldbluefox wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 16:29
You get what you pay for and personally I would prefer to pay extra if it means I enjoy the 'Wow' factor when I step aboard otherwise P&O starts to feel like Travelodge at Sea.
I wouldn't disagree but that is not only the way that P&O are going but also all the other "mainstream" cruise lines. If you want the "wow" factor then you have to look elsewhere - and even then they are dummying down.

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Looking through some of the reviews on YouTube some lines have gone further down this line than others.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

We are all different, but from our point of view, working through Jamie's list ...
No more flowers in cabins or in the main dining room [irrelevant]
No more nightly turndown [irrelevant]
Fewer menu choices in the dining room [there are as many but half of them are vegan/vegetarian]
Dishes are smaller [thank goodness]
No more nibbles/canapes in some of the bars [irrelevant]
No more facecloths in cabins (available on request?) [irrelevant - there are hand towels and tissues which serve same purpose]
No more complimentary cakes with your coffee [we got cakes with our Costa? maybe Jamie means main dining room]
Room service breakfast menu has fewer choices [irrelevant]
Limited number of cocktails available [ I have always found a certain flexibility from many bar tenders]
No more port infused stilton [irrelevant - or possibly thank goodness]
Cheese board is now ready plated [seemed to be a lack of cheese onboard, but irrelevant to me]
Room service is now chargeable [irrelevant - never used it]
No more little cards to remind of time changes [irrelevant]
Cruise logs at the end of the cruise are not available [irrelevant .. maybe nice to have]
We are literally just back from a couple of weeks on Azura (review posted elsewhere) and as usual had a fantastic holiday, despite one stormy day, a missed port, both of us getting colds and me putting my knee out. I would say that P&O upped its game ... when comparing this years cruise with the same offering last year.

Great entertainers, Jayson Keeler (fantastic vocal range), Josh Adams (comedian), Tucker (comedian) and the amazing Yzzy (Pure Paloma) who certainly had the house rocking (although I think some were too scared of her not to follow her instructions). Even Pulse this year were very good (last year they were deplorable) ... the two singers had great chemistry although the chap reminded me of Sheldon Cooper as he danced. :)

Food was also a step up from our last cruise although I did hear a few people complaining about a lack of cheese.

Great people up on deck; fantastic cabin steward (Teo). My only complaint was that service could be a little slow in the Java coffee area (and if that was the biggest of my problems then I would be a very happy person).

I did listen to one moaner who seemed to hate everything and was starting to blow everything out of proportion ... he was not happy when I disagreed with him (apparently I work for P&O :yawn: ). As I said to him (my opinion) 'the cruise ship is just a vessel, it is what you make of the holiday yourself that makes it special'. On the romance front, we seem to do well enough without the need for props and other things ... if I feel the need for such props then I will gladly pay extra for them but would not want to see them built into the price.

We also did a short RSSC cruise earlier in the year (won in a competition). It is probably up there with Crystal, Seabourne etc. ... there were things I liked on it but I would not pay the premium since the overall experience, for us, would not be worth it.
Last edited by Kendhni on 25 Sep 2023, 07:58, edited 1 time in total.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

As you say Ken…we are all different. If I book a cruise, I expect to be able to indulge in things that make a holiday feel special, indeed isn’t this what P&O promise?

When things start to become irrelevant others think it is acceptable and standards inevitably drop…imo

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

When I go away on holiday I hope and expect to enjoy little niceties and luxuries I do not necessarily have at home otherwise I might just go away to xxxxxx or wherever to somewhere cheap and basic. But each to their own and I accept people do have different expectations and that's fair enough. I like to be treated to something special if only for a couple of weeks, which is what P&O used to provide, until it's back to beans on toast.

I can see my days with P&O being numbered and will be having a look at what Fred, TUI, Princess & Co can offer.
Last edited by oldbluefox on 25 Sep 2023, 11:32, edited 1 time in total.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

I base my responses on my P&O experience last year and can accept that some things may have changed since then.
Kendhni wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 07:56
Turndown I can take or leave but what I do want is the towels replacing because if you are having a shower two or three times a day I prefer to use a dry towel.
Fewer menu choices in the dining room [there are as many but half of them are vegan/vegetarian]
But some of those choices are the "always available" items so it looks as if there are as many but actually there are not. Don't mind vegetarian on occasions.
No more facecloths in cabins (available on request?) [irrelevant - there are hand towels and tissues which serve same purpose]
My wife would disagree with you on that point - a hand towel or tissue would not, for her, serve the same purpose - I don't use them so not an issue.
Limited number of cocktails available [ I have always found a certain flexibility from many bar tenders]
Last year if it was not on the small list then you could not have it.

The others I agree with - but were/would be nice to have.
Last edited by david63 on 25 Sep 2023, 11:33, edited 1 time in total.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

oldbluefox wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 11:30
I can see my days with P&O being numbered and will be having a look at what Fred, TUI, Princess & Co can offer.
We have basically decided that unless there is something outstanding in the itinerary that we have finished cruising with P&O as we do not like the product any more.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Onelife wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 11:06
As you say Ken…we are all different. If I book a cruise, I expect to be able to indulge in things that make a holiday feel special, indeed isn’t this what P&O promise?

When things start to become irrelevant others think it is acceptable and standards inevitably drop…imo
None of the items listed though would make my cruise feel any more, or any less special. To me what makes it special is the quality of entertainment, the quality of food, the cleanliness of the ship, the availability of a table in the dining room, the itinerary and most importantly the company i.e. my home-boss. Similarly the only portunus benefit I am interested in is the 10% discount (not that it has been much use since lately OBC has exceeded spending) ... things like pins and get togethers serve little interest ... and the bottle of champers gets given to some other passenger.

To me P&O are getting the important things right, and I would prefer them to spend their money on those, rather than spread it thinly on trivial items that may, at one point, have been considered important.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

david63 wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 11:32
I base my responses on my P&O experience last year and can accept that some things may have changed since then.
Turndown I can take or leave but what I do want is the towels replacing because if you are having a shower two or three times a day I prefer to use a dry towel.
But some of those choices are the "always available" items so it looks as if there are as many but actually there are not. Don't mind vegetarian on occasions.
My wife would disagree with you on that point - a hand towel or tissue would not, for her, serve the same purpose - I don't use them so not an issue.
Last year if it was not on the small list then you could not have it.

The others I agree with - but were/would be nice to have.
I agree with you about replacing cabin towels, though I am generally OK using the same towel a couple of times and getting it changed once per day. I like that deck towels are now available on deck, rather than being put in cabin (especially since I use 6 for our 2 loungers).

Good point about 'always available' choices ... ceasar salad seemed to always be a starter, and steak or chicken was one of the mains. We rarely use the main dining room any more and stick mostly to the buffet and select dining venues (to make the cruise more special) ... split about 50/50 ... especially since you no longer have to dress up on formal night for the select dining.

I know my wife would prefer a facecloth, but, not knowing we could ask for them (\\I learned something new from Jamie's list), we just got the cabin steward to leave more hand towels.

Some bar tenders are strict about drinks being on the menu, but if you get to know them a bit then I have come across a few that can be more flexible ... as long as it is 'close' to something on the menu.

One thing I would like to see make a come back is the grab'n'go section.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Kendhni wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 13:24
especially since you no longer have to dress up on formal night for the select dining
Unless it has changed you do in Epicurean.
Kendhni wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 13:24
One thing I would like to see make a come back is the grab'n'go section.
Apparently not anytime soon due to potential spread of Covid

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

We don't use Epicurean, just Sindhu's, Beach House and Glass House, so you could be right.

I guessed that was the reason for the demise of grab'n'go ... shame, but hopefully it can be reinstated somehow (saves me squeezing in an additional 3 course meal every day at lunch time. :)

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Totally agree about the demise of grab and go.
That suited us very well.

Last week, I was at a social event and spoke with a guy who had just completed his first ever cruise with his family on Arvia.
He is about mid forties I reckon and has young children.
They were absolutely blown away with both the ship and what was on offer.
I suspect they are nearer to P&Os new age demographic than we are now.
He literally couldn't fault anything and did comment that it was a lot less expensive than a land holiday of similar quality.

Times have moved on chaps, and it's likely that if want what we had, we will have to as well.

We have three more holidays booked with P&O and will no doubt enjoy each one, but after that, may try the Ambassador out of Bristol.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

As you say Barney, times have moved on and we can remember when cruising felt like you were a lord and lady for a couple of weeks with all the trimmings . Change can sometimes be a bit hard to except, but new cruisers are coming on stream and really enjoying the experience just like we did years ago. Prices back then we're relatively high compared to what the are now, but on the up side you have a few more pounds to spend in your pocket.
We are on Aurora soon and will thoroughly enjoy the cruise, but next year we will be giving Ambassador Cruisers a go. It was mainly the itinerary that made us enquire, but the price was a steal. They seem to be aiming to compete on quality and as a new line, I'm wondering if the price is to get people to try them out. Still, this time next year I will find out.
A quick point, never had a bad holiday with P&O.
Don't worry, be happy

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I'm just suspicious of Ambassador with, I believe, a number of the same people involved who were part of CMV. There were a number of occasions where they didn't seem to be that well run.

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Same here Merv,they are old ships but reading some cruisers reviews they seem mostly positive. We are on the Med cruise with good ports of call and one we missed when on Azura last year due to Covid restrictions, that one being Florence. Having said that we decided to be careful and booked an inside, so no great loss.
Unless a member Cruises with them and report back, will post my impressions next year.
Don't worry, be happy

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

oldbluefox wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 11:30
When I go away on holiday I hope and expect to enjoy little niceties and luxuries I do not necessarily have at home otherwise I might just go away to xxxxxx or wherever to somewhere cheap and basic. But each to their own and I accept people do have different expectations and that's fair enough. I like to be treated to something special if only for a couple of weeks, which is what P&O used to provide, until it's back to beans on toast.

I doubt that Fred and TUI will offer you anything more special than P&O, Princess might be slightly higher quality, but we found that there were similar dining problems and service issues to P&O, and the price with Princess plus is significantly higher, and without you suffer the higher prices for drinks, and have to pay gratuities, and you don't get free wifi.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Ray B wrote: 26 Sep 2023, 13:13
Same here Merv,they are old ships but reading some cruisers reviews they seem mostly positive. We are on the Med cruise with good ports of call and one we missed when on Azura last year due to Covid restrictions, that one being Florence. Having said that we decided to be careful and booked an inside, so no great loss.
Unless a member Cruises with them and report back, will post my impressions next year.
I'll be interested to hear what your impressions are. There are mixed reviews but in the main they are quite positive. The only way to find out is to try them eh?

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I was chatting to my hairdresser yesterday,she and her husband and in their 30s with sons aged 10 and 8. Never considered cruising before but her sister in law has just come back from the Iona. Free child places and all there is on board was a suprise to my hairdresser and she is seriously considering a cruise on the recommendation of a family member.

These are obviously the target group P and O are aiming for.

For myself not completely given up on P and O as am on Iona for the Christmas markets cruise, but am looking forward to the special Saga boutique experience next August. Received all my paperwork yesterday.

Lindsey

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Lindsey, it's good to hear that the young new cruisers are finding the excitement of starting to cruise . We had the same when we first embarked Arcadia in the 1990s,and to be honest, that excitement is still there today.
Don't worry, be happy

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

I will not be cruising with P&O again but just, somewhat selfishly, to put some perspective into many of the concerns expressed, my reason is very different.

My wife and I went "in Search of the Northern Lights" aboard Aurora in March. We both returned with covid, having successfully avoided it until then. Kath moved into long covid and died in hospital last week of severe heart and kidney failure.

Lack of facecloths, turndowns, cocktails? If only.

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Kaymar, so sorry to hear of your experience from the cruise leading to the passing of your wife Kath. Please except me sincere condolences. I hope you can soon find peace and to remember the joys and loverly times you enjoyed with her.
Don't worry, be happy

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

So sorry to hear that Kaymar. News like that puts everything into perspective. Sincere condolences on your loss.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

I’m so sorry to hear of your loss - lack of facecloths and chocolates on pillows fade into insignificance and put things into perspective. I lost my husband nearly 17 years ago after ill health for many years and know how it feels - treasure your memories - talk about Kath - remember your life with her always and take care of yourself.
Janis

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”