Sue and Garry's Caribbean cruise

Aurora cruises in 2023

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Sue and Garry's Caribbean cruise

Post by Suekersh »

Morning all, here is the 1st instalment of the Caribbean cruise.

Hi all, just arrived in Madeira. Feel like I have been at sea for a life time.

Sunday, 22 October 2023. Southampton
We had expected to dock in Southampton in they early hours of the morning but it was the usual 06:30.
Breakfast in the maid dining room opened at 06:30 but we weren’t in any rush.

We met our friends for breakfast and said our goodbyes again.

It was lovely to sit in the sunshine on the aft deck albeit with coats on and catch up with what was going on in the world outside our cruising bubble. Although we had taken ships wi fi for the last couple of days it wasn’t very reliable or fast.
We collected our new cruise cards from reception, these had a small blue sticker which enabled us to disembark and board via the cruise gangway as we needed a few cabin essentials to put us on until we reach Madeira, and we were back on board before midday in time for the Welcome onboard buffet lunch where the wine flowed well as usual.

Dinner on the first night is always a little chaotic as new passengers find their restaurant and their allocated table. It was so noisy. Luckily we are tucked away by a window and the nearest tables are tables for 2 or 4 persons. The table for 8 further down in the restaurant appeared to be having a competition of who has the loudest voice. There was an outright winner and I could see the faces of the passengers who were seated closer to that table. Hopefully it will settle down over the next couple of nights.

The after dinner entertainment should have been Herbie Adams in Carmens either he missed the ship or was unwell as the Resident Band Pulse filled his spot.

We now have 3 sea days before we dock in Madeira.

Monday, 23 October 2023 - Crossing the dreaded Bay of Biscay again.
It wasn’t as bad as a couple of days ago but also not the calm blue skied weather we had hoped for.
It was a bit wet and drizzly and a few ships lurches as we hit the pot holes of the Atlantic Ocean, but at least the Poltergeists didn’t make an appearance. The sun got its hat on for a short time and we managed some fresh air on deck.

We had a Facebook meet up in Carmens which was surprisingly well attended as it clashed with lunch. I tried to speak with everyone there but I have no chance of remembering any names. The group on Facebook had been very friendly, supportive and informative since it was set up about 2 years ago. It was great to put faces to names.

After lunch I actually visited the dreaded laundry, Garry thought I ought to know where it was situated and what a washing machine looked like. I was the dutiful wife and ironed 3 of his shirts that aren’t non iron to repay him for his laundry diligence over the last three weeks. As it was the first day of the cruise it was very quiet so no laundry wars to report on.
I doubt I will visit it again this cruise as his formal shirts go to the laundry and once we are in the hot weather he will wear his Caribbean shirts which do not require any ironing.

After dinner which was extremely busy but not as noisy as last night we went into Carmens to listen to a young lady called Chess Taylor who is a Classical Crossover Singer. Absolutely stunning show from a very talented young lady.

Sea day tomorrow and hopefully the sun will have his hat on as my tan is fading fast.

Tuesday, 24 October 2023 - 2 nd Sea day to Madeira.

Aurora was virtually past the BAY of Biscay when we awoke and although the Captain was still issuing warnings about sea swells, high waves and strong winds this felt like a breeze after the end of the last cruise. Just need the sun to come out now.

The very first thing we noticed at breakfast were the new milk jugs. A big improvement.

How sad am I getting excited by a milk jug when I don’t actually use milk. 🤣 Garry was impressed though as he could pour the milk without it slopping everywhere
I was out on the aft deck when Captain Simon was doing his daily walkabout. So great to see him again.

After lunch Garry put his hairdressing hat on and helped me colour my hair ready for the 1 st formal night. My hairdresser had trained him over the months before we went on the world cruise in 2017 after on a previous World cruise the on board hairdresser had made a complete mess of it.

It was the Captains Welcome Aboard party in Carmens where as usual the bubbles flowed well. I think probably too well especially as we had a bottle of red wine with the formal dinner.

As Carmens and the Crows Nest were being used for the 2 nd sitting Welcome on board Party and the cabaret act in the theatre was a Dolly Parton tribute act we finished the night in Andersons with the gin flight.

Wednesday, 25 October 2023 - final sea day to Madeira

Other than getting off ship for an hour in Southampton this is our 8 th consecutive sea day. I love the sea days when it is hot and sunny and although today has been better the temperature it is still cool when the sun isn’t out.

The evening entertainment was Chess Taylor in Carmens and another excellent show.
We called at the glass house to stock up on our favourite red wine.

Tomorrow we finally dock in Madeira before we have another 5 sea days before we reach the Caribbean, each day should get warmer as we cruise further South.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Sue and Garry's Caribbean cruise

Post by CaroleF »

I can understand how you could get excited about new milk jugs that actually pour. I have tried every which way not to have the milk slop out when pouring from one of the milk jugs at breakfast. I never succeeded!

Have a lovely cruise and enjoy the Caribbean.

Carole

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

We never…well very rarely but the ship’s WiFi package (we did once on Oriana as we needed to keep in contact with UK during a trans Atlantic crossing- we could only pick up a signal about 30m from our cabin). We were on a Princess ship earlier and the package was included. It was a new system and it worked extremely well. I forget the name of the system but hopefully it will roll out in P&O ships soon.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Ranchi wrote: 26 Oct 2023, 12:57
I forget the name of the system but hopefully it will roll out in P&O ships soon.
It's called Starlink and will be on all Carnival brand ships eventually

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Hi sue,hope it wasn't our table🤣 no it wasn't we are not loud.
and at the back.
Will be nice to compare each others musings about our experiences and will certainly give a broader view of the cruise.
Have a loverly cruise.
Don't worry, be happy

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

Looking forward to your reports again Sue.

I do envy you the Caribbean weather.

Have fun

Maureen

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Morning everyone from a sunny Swansea !!!

Here is the latest update from Sue and Garry.

Friday, 27 October 2023 - 1 st Sea day to Antigua

As the clocks went back by an hour overnight we were up and out early. The sun was just rising and quickly cleared the night sky.

I made the most of the morning on deck as it was the Ligurian Lunch at noon.
Another excellent meal with far too much champagne and wine.
Captain Simon visited every table as usual and was happy chat and have photos taken.

After lunch I slept the rest of the afternoon and although I made the effort to dress for dinner I really wasn’t hungry.

Saturday, 28 October 2023 - 2 nd Sea Day to Antigua.

Wowsers a red hot day on deck. We were up early again as another hour back. I watched the sunrise and the night sky clouds were burnt off.

I stayed out until late afternoon as there was a lovely breeze. Some sightings of sea life.

The Captains noon announcement included an excellent weather forecast for the next 3 sea days. We have cruised over 800 nautical miles since leaving Madeira and have just over 200 miles before reaching Antigua.

Another Formal night which will be the last until after the Caribbean Islands. Another Marco menu and another lovely dinner.

I had a lovely surprise when there was a present left for me on our table. They were from a lovely lady we have met a few times on cruises. I don’t feel that I had done anything to deserve these lovely chocolates but Joy thank you very much. You are such an Inspiration to us all.

The entertainment in the theatre was the male tap dancers. We have seen them before and they are brilliant but we decided to have a drink in the Crows Nest then went to sit out on the aft and enjoy the warm sultry evening and full moon.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Suekersh wrote: 29 Oct 2023, 10:37
Morning everyone from a sunny Swansea !!!

Friday, 27 October 2023 - 1 st Sea day to Antigua

As the clocks went back by an hour overnight we were up and out early. The sun was just rising and quickly cleared the night sky.

I made the most of the morning on deck as it was the Ligurian Lunch at noon.
Another excellent meal with far too much champagne and wine.
Captain Simon visited every table as usual and was happy chat and have photos taken.

After lunch I slept the rest of the afternoon and although I made the effort to dress for dinner I really wasn’t hungry.

Saturday, 28 October 2023 - 2 nd Sea Day to Antigua.

Wowsers a red hot day on deck. We were up early again as another hour back. I watched the sunrise and the night sky clouds were burnt off.

I stayed out until late afternoon as there was a lovely breeze. Some sightings of sea life.

The Captains noon announcement included an excellent weather forecast for the next 3 sea days. We have cruised over 800 nautical miles since leaving Madeira and have just over 200 miles before reaching Antigua.

Another Formal night which will be the last until after the Caribbean Islands. Another Marco menu and another lovely dinner.

I had a lovely surprise when there was a present left for me on our table. They were from a lovely lady we have met a few times on cruises. I don’t feel that I had done anything to deserve these lovely chocolates but Joy thank you very much. You are such an Inspiration to us all.

The entertainment in the theatre was the male tap dancers. We have seen them before and they are brilliant but we decided to have a drink in the Crows Nest then went to sit out on the aft and enjoy the warm sultry evening and full moon.
People have said the same about me Sue :thumbup: :lol:

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Morning all from a wet and windy Swansea.

Hi all Just docking in Guadeloupe and have picked up a French mobile signal. Off snorkeling soon at the Marine Reserve.

Last three Sea Days to Caribbean

The three sea days have all been glorious hot with calm glossy seas.
Some liquid sunshine in the mornings which never lasted longer than a few minutes and we had plenty of warning from the Bridge before the showers arrived to get under cover.

The decks are very busy because of the hot sunny weather and because the covered pool in the middle where the roof should be able to open isn’t functioning and it is far too humid for anyone to sit in there for long. The deck is a bit like an obstacle course with a mixture of sun loungers and chairs. The ship is carrying almost 1800 passengers so virtually full to capacity.

I spent the sea days being lazy in the sun chatting to other passengers, and of course drinking and eating.

There are plenty of activities for passengers who don’t want to laze on the decks with both energetic and stimulating classes on offer.

I keep thinking I will join in on some of them tomorrow....... but so far that tomorrow has not arrived.

The Captain makes a noon announcement every sea day to let us know the miles travelled and how far we have to go to reach our 1 st Caribbean port of call Antigua. The depth of sea water under the keel and some anecdote about the area we are in and visiting. He then passes the microphone over to Sam the third officer who gives us the weather information which is looking exceptionally good for Antigua.

We haven’t seen any of the entertainment on offer as we have seen the acts previously and will no doubt see them again in the future.
Instead we have sat out under the full moon and stars enjoying a few drinks on these perfect clear warm evenings.

Wednesday, 1 November 2023 - Antigua

Finally we reached our first Caribbean Port. I was out on deck to watch Aurora come alongside and in typical Caribbean style it took nine young men and boat to catch a rope and slip it over the mooring.
Seven to of them to watch and shout encouragement, one to row the boat and the other to do all the work.

I could see another ship arriving in the distance Eurodam which docked right next to Aurora whilst we were at breakfast. It looked slightly bigger than Aurora and probably Arcadia size.

We disembarked before 9am and easily got a taxi to Runaround beach. We were sharing with 4 others who were dropped off at Dickinson Bay beach where the host there tried to persuade us to stay by saying there were no facilities and at Runaway.

We stuck to our decision and our driver took us the couple of miles down the coast to Runaway beach. The roads were dreadful as there had been a lot of bad storms recently.

This beach bar has comfy sofa type seating in the shade with free wi fi which means Garry who isn’t a beach fan can relax in comfort whilst I lie in the sun and swim in the turquoise, warm Caribbean Sea.

The owner recognised Garry from last year and made us welcome.
It was hot, very hot just the way I like it and lovely to just step into the sea to cool off for a few minutes. The beer was Caribe and Garry kept me supplied.

We had arrived before the ships tour and I got my bed right on the front line. The sea was just fabulous and I had it all virtually to my self for the first 20 minutes. Even when the P & O tour arrived it wasn’t over crowded and they had enough staff on to cope. They were seated a little further up all together.

Around midday the Americans from the Eurodam arrived in droves and my peace and tranquility was shattered. The beach is huge so space wasn’t an issue it was the noise and imperious attitude that changed the ambience.

I had a final swim then got changed to join Garry who had a Rum Punch waiting for me. We had arranged for the Taxi driver to collect
us at 1 p.m. and he was there bang on time. The P & O tour left just before us.

Once back at the port we did some shopping and returned to the ship just in time before the heavens opened and the Liquid sunshine stated. It was like stair rods but only lasted about 10 minutes. It cleared the air then the sun took over again.

We had dinner outside in the Beach House as we watched the lights of Antigua disappear. The food was delicious as usual. Seafood Hanging Kebab for me and Salmon for Garry.

The powers that be shore side have deemed that the 10 oz Lava rock steak cannot now be shared between 2 people other than just one extra empty plate with none of the extras for the 2 nd person despite having already paid the set dining charge.

After dinner we went to Carmens to see the Headliners perform Top of the Bill Boards but then headed to the Riviera pool area.

When we disembarked in Antigua we noticed the Caribbean band L’Ements were boarding. It was their first Caribbean party tonight and that is where we finished the night. It was packed and crew were bringing up more chairs and tables. It was the perfect night for a Caribbean party.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Another great instalment Sue…must dash, I'm off to check my premium bonds with the anticipation of enjoying what you are enjoying :thumbup: :)

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Friday, 3 November 2023 - St. Vincent’s

We had booked a trip on a ferry to the island of Bequia but realised early morning that Garry was still far too uncomfortable to enjoy it. More bites had appeared and they were very red and nasty looking.
As it was Bequia on your own and an all day trip I didn’t feel comfortable going alone and he would have worried all day.

I went down to the tours desk early and explained. They were brilliant and immediately offered to cancel both tickets with a full refund. I was astounded as I had expected to forfeit Garry’s ticket and that my ticket would be transferred to another shore experience for me. I looked at what was available which was limited but opted for the catamaran trip to view the volcano, visit a beach and some snorkelling.

We set off in glorious sunshine. The Catamaran was only half full at the most so plenty of room to spread out. I opted immediately for the front in the sunshine which lasted about half an hour then the liquid sunshine started. We had a few breaks from the rain but once we reached the volcano it was heavy rain and low cloud which prevented us viewing the crater.

On the way back it continued to rain and as we reached the swimming/ snorkelling point it was still raining. I wasn’t missing a snorkelling opportunity because of a bit of the wet stuff. Not many ventured into the sea which was lovely and warm and because the sand is volcanic the water was crystal clear. I swam up to the caves where the coral formations were attracting many colourful fish.
Back on the Catamaran the alcohol bar was open and the non swimmers were on the rum punch.

I got changed in the excellent clean facilities and had my first rum punch. Everything was soaked but it didn’t matter. As the weather got worse The crew cranked up the music and we partied all the way back to Aurora.

The weather tried its hardest to spoil the day but we didn’t let it win.

Once back on ship Garry told me how bad it had been there with thundering and Lightening storms and the decks gushing with water.

We ate in the glass House and finally I managed to order the Sea Bass baked in a banana leaf as it was Menu B. We have eaten in here a few times over the month we have been on board but it has always been menu A which is the Sicilian fish stew.

Tomorrow we are in St Lucia.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Just in case any of you are wondering, I have posted all the reports I have received.
I haven't had any updates since the 4th.

Lindsey

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Whynd1 wrote: 06 Nov 2023, 10:20
Just in case any of you are wondering, I have posted all the reports I have received.

Lindsey
👍
Empty vessels .. and all that

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Whynd1 wrote: 06 Nov 2023, 10:20

Lindsey

Hi Lindsey

I may be missing something here, but why do you post the reports and not Sue herself?

Asking for a friend
Last edited by Stephen on 06 Nov 2023, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Hi Lindsey

I may be missing something here, but why do you post the reports and not Sue herself?

Asking for a friend
Last edited by Stephen

Sue writes the reports and then sends them onto Garry who posts them out to various cruise forums.
I do know on some occasions Sue has had trouble getting onto this forum.
I suppose its easier for her.

It takes ages for me to her this forum to load onto my tablet.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I expect Garry does the circulation bit to pass the time while he's waiting for the machine washing the smalls to finish. 😅

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Afternoon everyone.
Here is the latest cruise update from Sue and Garry.

Thursday, 2 November 2023 - Guadeloupe

I had booked the Jacques Cousteau Marine Reserve trip.

Garry was just going to wander around to see if anything was open as we had been informed it was a public holiday. However when he woke up during the night his legs had been bitten by something at the beach. Not just a few bites but he was covered in them and in quite a bit of pain.

My trip had been changed from 09:30 to 11 am which wasn’t ideal as I had planned to go into the town after the trip.
It was even later than 11 am as the coach was late it was after 11:30 before we were on board. No toilet facilities on the coach.
The young tour guide did his best to tell us about Guadeloupe but his English was stilted and he had a strong accent which made it difficult to understand some of what he was saying.

Finally we arrived at the Nautilus for our trip into the marine reserve. The boat was already quite full mainly of locals as it was a public holiday. There was room for everyone. The passengers who had been waiting went down into the bottom of the boat where the viewing area was for around 15 minutes and then when they came back up we went down.

It was good viewing and the water clear. We saw many varieties of fish including one very hungry looking barracuda. My first thought was that I hope I don’t meet him later when snorkelling.

The coral was being cared for and there was evidence of growth which is unusual as most of the coral in the touristy areas of the Caribbean is deteriorating.

After the viewing, the Nautilus moved to the snorkel/swimming area.

The snorkelling here was fabulous. The only trip I have done that didn’t supply buoyancy aids which surprised me as there were relatively young children in the water as well as adults. The water was as clear as Crystal and the fish plentiful. It just made all the earlier hassle worth while for me.
The boat was limited as no toilet facilities or changing area so it was stay wet or use a towel to hide behind, not easy when trying to get off wet swim wear and replace with a dry one.

There was rum punch, fruit punch or water available all included in the tour but no food and no stop to purchase food.

Whilst waiting for the coach I noticed some passengers going a different way. There were some public toilets on the beach at a cost of 1 Euro each. For some reason most passengers only had dollars with them and were refused entry until a kind fellow passenger stumped up 20 euros and they allowed everyone in.

The next stop was the waterfall and a shopping opportunity with another solitary but disgusting toilet.
The short walk through the rainforest was cool and refreshing. The waterfall wasn’t huge but very pretty. The locals were enjoying the refreshing water. It all looked very enticing but I didn’t want to get wet again before re boarding the coach.

We were an hour late getting back to the ship and Garry was on the look out for me. Having not eaten since 7 a.m. breakfast I was ravenous. Afternoon tea had never tasted so good.

After dinner we went into Carmens for the Pulse 70’s show. I was shattered and we just had one drink under the stars before I needed my bed.

Saturday, 4 November 2023 - St Lucia

Not a great start to the morning with a lot of Liquid sunshine.

We could see blue sky in the distance but waited in vain for the the rain stop. We didn’t have a trip booked for today and had planned to just have walk and catch the ferry to Seraphine point where there are nice bars and shops.

We sat under cover on the aft deck watching the Catamarans come in to collect the passengers who had booked trips. The rain persistent but by 10am the clouds had cleared and it was sunny and hot.

We had a look round the port area and purchased some of their local sauces before catching the little ferry across to Seraphine point.

The larger Carnival Venezia was docked there. It used to be Costa Venezia but now Carnival have now dropped the brand and instead it is now Carnival Cruise the Italian Way. It appeared to be mainly Americans on board.

We called at the Pink Paraya bar and our wi fi kicked in immediately as we were here earlier this year. The headliners from Aurora were also here enjoying some time off.

Our next stop was the Bar Antilia which is a real ale bar with all the ingredients shipped over from the UK and brewed in St Lucia. Another favourite spot.

We had dinner in the dining room and said our goodbyes to our waiter David who had served us since we boarded on the 3 October. He is is leaving the ship in Barbados along with his partner Gladys and they are getting married during their leave.

Sunday, 5 November 2023 - Barbados

I had an early trip booked to a beach on Carlisle Bay. Garry’s legs still look like he has a spectacular tropical disease or a bad dose of chicken pox, although the anti histamines have worked to take the itchiness away and the antibiotic cream has prevented any of them getting infected. He decided to stay on ship and get the laundry up to date as the next few sea days will probably be manic in there.

I went into the terminal building and managed to get onto the Wi-Fi easily as there was only about half a dozen people in there. I caught up with the real world outside of our cruising bubble.

The trip left at 08:30, the sun was shining and the temperature 27 degrees. It should only have been a 7 minute bus ride to Carlisle bay and we still hadn’t been told which beach we were going to.
Next week it is Barbados Independence Day and there is a parade going on. They had chosen today to practice for it so the roads in the city were closed off and our tour had to take a different longer route to the beach. From next Sunday which is the start of the season the town will open on Sundays. Today no shops were open in the town centre.

I was delighted when we arrived at Harbour Lights which was where we had planned to go and one of my favourite beach areas in Barbados. We were welcomed with a drink, a choice of either Rum Punch, beer, or soft drink. A sun bed on the water front and shared parasol was included .
I could have booked to go out on a boat to see the turtles for 25 US Dollars, but last year after paying out to P & O for a turtle snorkel I decided not to bother booking.

The sun was hot and the turquoise calm water was warm and clear. A perfect final Caribbean port day. I watched a catamaran arrive and realised the passengers were snorkeling. I had taken my gear with me so went to join them. The turtles were there maybe just waiting to be fed. Huge turtles just swimming around and taking no notice of the snorkelers shouts of delight at seeing them.

It was a fabulous morning with about 5 minutes of liquid sunshine but I could see Aurora in the distance getting a pasting from the dark clouds. Luckily they moved in a different direction and left us alone.

I met Garry back at the ship and we went into the port area to see what was on offer. Most of the shops and little stalls in the terminal were open despite it being a Sunday.

There was a BBQ on deck but we had booked the Beach House for our dinner and to see the sail away from Barbados. Captain Simon announced that the weather for our Atlantic crossing was looking good for the next three days. The sailaway was to be delayed by an hour, something to do with the fuel that was being taken on board, and also that it was Bonfire night but obviously no fireworks on the ship.

Instead our fabulous Captain arranged for an amazing lightening show as Aurora slowly sailed away from Barbados.

We are now at sea for 5 days before we reach the Azores. Both sea days have been hot and sunny so far. It will get cooler each day but all good up to today.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Morning all. Here is the latest update from Sue and Garry.

Monday 6 November to Friday 10 November 2023 final sea day to Azores

The clocks had moved forward an hour over night but I still woke up early and was out on deck securing my place in the sun for day.
It was very windy but still sunny and hot. The breeze was very welcome.

Mid afternoon it was the ‘ Build a Ship on a Ship competition. The wind made it difficult for both the ents staff and the competitors. There was a casualty due to the wind but everyone appeared to be enjoying themselves.

We were only informed of 4 formal nights on this cruise but one had been added for tonight. After dinner we went to the Crows nest for my salted Caramel espresso martini before getting out of our Glad Rags and into something more suitable to sit out on deck in.

Tuesday, 7 November - 2 nd Sea day to Azores
Another bright sunny and breezy morning. No hour change this morning and the prime spots filled up quickly. Another lazy sea day.

Wednesday, 8 November - 3 rd sea day to Azores
Another glorious day with some cloud cover. Not quite as hot as yesterday but temperatures still in the high 20 s.

It was very busy on A deck with lots of furniture moving going on as passengers tried to find their prime spot to get the last few hours of the sun.
The noon announcement included tomorrows forecast and it was looking good for another calm hot sea day but temperatures a little cooler than we have been experiencing.

A letter had been delivered to the cabin regarding the the Jacques Cousteau trip and I was very surprised to see that half of the cost was being refunded because of the complaints regarding the poorly managed tour. I was surprised as although we were late leaving and returning we still experienced the full tour we had paid for.

The evening entertainment in Carmens was the fabulous show Up all Night’ The Headliners were fantastic and Nailed the Show. They are coming towards the end of their contract and when we board Aurora again in January there will be a new group of Headliners.

Thursday, 9 November - 4 th sea day to Azores
Distinctly cooler this morning but a good day on deck in the sun.

The 4 th Formal night and the Peninsular Party with plenty of bubbles in Carmens.

Friday 10 November

Friday was another calm sunny sea day. I went outside to test the temperature and decided against getting a sun bed in my usual spot. The wind was very blustery.
We have been so lucky with the weather and sea conditions so far. The aft decks were full of passengers soaking up the rest of the rays but every time I ventured out for fresh air it was too blustery for me. I am definitely a lizard and need high 20 s temperature to be comfortable.
It made a change not to be led on a sun lounger and instead I walked around the ship chatting to other passengers.

Captains noon announcement was looking good for the Azores and it will be good to waddle and sway our way off ship.

By the time we have got used to walking on solid ground it will be time to get back on ship and another 3 sea days to Southampton.
I have loved the sea days so far calm seas and sunshine but no one knows what the Bay of Biscay has in store for us.
After reading about Sagas cruise ship experience which obviously wasn’t pleasant for all involved, we have faith in our Captain and Bridge team to bring us home safely.

We went to lunch in the main dining room which we haven’t done since before we reached the Caribbean Islands,

I found that due to the wind, and although the sea swells were slight the lolling motion of the ship sent me back to the cabin for a tablet and then catching up on some much needed sleep.

Irish Comedian William Caulfield performed in Carmens. I don’t usually appreciate comedians on P & O as their acts are very often dire with the same old cruise ship jokes.
We had heard great reports from his first show in the theatres so decided to go and see him in Carmens. We weren’t disappointed and found him very funny.

As the show finished we were struggling to get out for the queue of passengers waiting to get into to the venue.

Just arrived in The Azores. Bright and sunny will disembark shortly.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

You've certainly been lucky with the weather. Lovely to catch up with your journey Sue. Safe journey across the Bay and home.

Carole

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

Really enjoyed reading about your cruise.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Morning all, here is the last update crom this cruise from Sue and Garry.

Saturday, 11 November 2023 - Ponta Delgada Azores and Final Sea Days to Southampton

We have been so lucky with the weather and although we woke to overcast skies the sun soon saw them off and it was another hot day.

At 11 a.m. there was a 2 minute silence on board ship to mark the 11 th November Armistice day.

We walked the short distance into town and the shopping centre. Then up to the church and the pretty winding streets and individual shops. We found a local bakery and couldn’t resist buying some of the custard tarts or Pastel de Nata as they are known as here. They were equally as delicious as those we buy in Madeira.

We stopped for a beer as by noon it had got very hot, collected some last few days cabin supplies from the Pingo Doce supermarket and headed back to the ship.

I was hoping it would be warm enough on deck for some late afternoon sun, and there were a lot of passengers sat out enjoying the
warm weather. A couple of minutes was long enough as the wind was still blowing over the deck. It was degrees warmer in town,

Fi and her entertainment team did a fabulous final sail away party on the aft deck. It was well attended and the waiters were very busy serving drinks. It was almost like pre Covid times when a sail away party on the aft deck was the norm. Fi is like a breath of fresh air on this ship and I really hope she is going to be on board for the Grand Voyage but alas I think she will joining one of the larger ships in the fleet.

The last three days are always a bit of a downer so we try to make them a bit different and we had booked Sindhu for dinner. It was another excellent meal and we finished off in the Glass House with the Cheese board and Port.

The following days the weather got cooler but still stayed sunny and calm with a slight swell just to remind us we are still on the ship.

Last night was the Parade of the Chefs and the emotional goodbyes to the passengers and crew we have spent time with on board.

We disembarked around 08:30 this morning and are now on the long journey home. In exactly 7 weeks we will be in Southampton and waiting to board Aurora for the Grand Voyage to USA and Caribbean.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Thank you for your reports Sue. I look forward to reading about your Grand Journey in January.

Carole

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

As always I have much enjoyed your reports. Always a good read.

Enjoy your small amount of time at home before your next adventure!! Like Carole I look forward to reading all about it in the New Year.

Best wishes to you and Garry

Maureen

LadyPCruiser
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by LadyPCruiser »

Look forward to meeting you sue! We are on it

Return to “Aurora Cruises 2023”