Food in buffet being wasted.

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Food in buffet being wasted.

Post by Ray B »

Could not find the post with reference to the withdrawal of trays in the piggery, so my thoughts are here.
My last cruise ,which was on Aurora ,was my first since trays have been withdrawn. My thoughts before the cruise were, this will mean faffing around collecting food and drink ,but this new experience went rather smoothly for the times that I used the buffet.
After selecting food for breakfast/lunch and dropping of at the table, a quick trip to the tea/coffee station and one more for juice was no problem. They did, at breakfast, have a tea trolly doing the rounds.
We used the buffet on occasions that was more convenient than the restaurant. Other than the deck BBQ, we ate in the restaurants at dinner.
The big win I should imagine P&O have found, and it was noticeable, is the drop in wasted food left on the tables. Other than scraps left, at no time did I see piles of discarded food, though I can not speak about dinner.
If this was to happen across the fleet then its a big win . The amount of food in the past that was wasted, left at the table, was absolutely disgusting.
So to conclude, I had no problem with the withdrawal of trays and fully support the new arrangements.
Don't worry, be happy

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Food in buffet being wasted.

Post by Meg 50 »

the only disadvantage being it means carrying plates which might be hot and might be difficult for the less mobile.

But other than that, I'm with you
Meg
x

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Meg 50 wrote: 02 Dec 2023, 15:03
plates which might be hot
Hot plates in the buffet? Is this a new concept?

I'm not convinced that not having trays will do anything to reduce waste as the gluttons will still pile their plates as full as they can so that they can leave half of it.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

true - but they won't be able to take several plates at once. They'd have to go back for them - and it might just be possible that they'd realise they hadn't room for sevenths.

We've just come back from a Warners which works like that. Took a day or 2 to get used to it, but it works
Meg
x

Topic author
Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

david63 wrote: 02 Dec 2023, 15:35
Meg 50 wrote: 02 Dec 2023, 15:03
plates which might be hot
Hot plates in the buffet? Is this a new

Yes, next to the cold meats and cheese, fish, salads, were hot plates.

If you happen apon a hot plate ,use a napkin.
Elderly and infirm can get help from a waiter or a 'here to help' person.
Don't worry, be happy

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I prefer to have a tray where you a get all requirements in one hit rather that going back and forth or juggling separate items up your arm.

And yes, the plates are hot at times. Bl**dy hot on occasions.

Tray or no tray, you will always get those that will stack it high and leave.
Last edited by Stephen on 02 Dec 2023, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”