anyone else ill?

Reports about cruises on Azura

Topic author
newomary
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

anyone else ill?

Post by newomary »

Hi, I boarded Azura for a 14-night cruise round Canaries on 24 Febuary 2024. Staff and service were excellent and my cabin was spacious and clean. Excursions were good and reasonably priced.
Unfortunately by Tuesday afternoon began feeling unwell enough not to go down to the Oriental restauarant for dinner. Shortly after I was violently sick iwice - and I can't sress hightly enough the 'violently'. Phoned reseption who confined me to cabin and was phone-contacted by nurse. Stayed confined for 3 and half days! Can't praise highly enough the special housekeeping team Philip and his mate who were always cheerful and helpful. But I'd only used my own cabin loo, washed hands thoroughly, and I blamed the food - the report for my travel insurance said 'gastroenteritis and colitis' But who can prove anything !??

newomary

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Re: anyone else ill?

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

From your description of the symptoms it sounds very much like norovirus to me, and if so nothing to do directly with the food. It's rife in the UK at the moment. From the timing it is possible you picked it up from another person before boarding, in the UK or on the plane, or from another passenger who'd brought it on board. Despite your sensible precautions it is incredibly infectious. As you say no-one can prove anything either way. However, our daughter had it recently and she's not been near a cruise ship for 18months. Just hope you are feeling better now.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Norovirus.
It’s been reported that it was on the ship and they implemented their protocols.
It’s awful for those suffering but it’s not unusual in the winter, both on ships and land holidays.
Bad hygiene is the obvious cause.
We’ve all seen people leaving the toilet without washing hands. I’ve personally seen blokes leave the cubicle then open the door without washing hands.
It’s disgusting but far too commonplace.
I never touch a door handle if it’s avoidable and avoid crowded lifts and public spaces.
Fortunately, we’ve never succumbed.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

And as much as you feel like making a comment about it to them, it’s just not worth the hassle. They’re usually too thick to take it onboard and would no doubt just resort to abuse. Who needs the hassle when you are in a confined space and would now doubt bump into them again.

Welcome to the forum newomary :wave:
Last edited by Stephen on 16 Mar 2024, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

We've not been so lucky on the norovirus front. We've have had it once and never want to have it again.

However it's not surprising when you really look at some of the practices of those on board. It's not just the lack of washing hands by both men and women you will also see walking sticks placed on tables to 'reserve' a place (I dread to think where else those sticks may have been! :sick: ), handbags put on tables, children in nappies sitting on tables, walking sticks used to press the lift buttons...........the list is endless.

It's not just a matter of washing hands but being aware of the danger spots. Use knuckles to call for a lift, avoid putting hand to mouth, eyes or nose and using hand sanitiser after you have got your food and sprinkled salt and pepper. We are now ultra careful and feel sympathy for the crew who go to such lengths to keep norovirus at bay only to be thwarted by some dirty so-and-sos spreading their germs all over everywhere.

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Cleanliness goes with tidiness. If you have no feelings on how you turn out with your appearance because you can't be bothered, washing your hands may go the same way.
So yes foxy , you summed it up correctly on how it is.
Don't worry, be happy

Return to “Azura Cruise Reports”