Britannia 2024

Britannia cruises in 2024

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Britannia 2024

Post by Kendhni »

Just back from another fantastic P&O cruise on Britannia around the Caribbean. A quick summary

The entertainment was some of the best we have seen on any cruiseline
- Laura Evans ... country tribute (more Julie than me)
- Andrew Browning ... George Michael tribute (queues down the ship to see his shows)
- Neil Lockwood ... ELO Part 2 ... what an incredible musician
- Rock On ... 4 guys doing all the favourite rock hits ... brilliantly
- ventriloquist ... sadly his name escapes me but his silly humour was right up our street
The resident band Exxile were also excellent ... crazy drummer :), and the bass guitarist had a really mellow voice ... it is still bugging me of who he reminds me of.

The real stars for me were Pulse. We have seen some good versions of Pulse and sadly, on one occasion, a really bad version of Pulse, but have to say this version was the best we have ever seen. The musicians and both singers were amazing ... all of them looked like they were really enjoying themselves on stage. I also believe the sound quality on Britannia is better than on Azura.

As usual we ate most meals in the select dining or buffet (can't be bothered with the main dining room these days). The variety and quality of the offerings in the buffet was excellent and now that they have removed the trays from the buffet it is much less crowded. Some new items on the Beach House menu - I could have eaten the Jamaican beef patties all day.

An emergency occurred during our meal in Sindhus ... we had just finished our starters when all crew got called to emergency stations. Since Sindhus is a muster station some crew returned in survival gear and life jackets ... after about 45 minutes the captain told the crew they could stand down ... apparently there had been a small fire in the incinerator room (I thought that is what it was for :) ). When the waiters came back they went around apologising, but as I said "when you are in good company, it doesn't matter how long it takes". The meal was as good as ever.

We have visited the Caribbean on many occasions, but this was the hottest we have ever felt it. Many people, including ourselves, got caught out on the first day by the sheer heat from the sun ... normally the factor 30 we use has no problems but we both got slightly burnt and had to reduce the amount of outside time.

Next stop the Med on Azura.
Last edited by Kendhni on 24 Mar 2024, 09:46, edited 1 time in total.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Re: Britannia 2024

Post by Onelife »

Nice to hear that you are still living life to the full Ken… our next trip/dining experience will be at Ludlow races in April, :lol: The entertainment can be quite expensive but we always go there with the expectation of what could have been :) :thumbup:

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Great review
Thanks 👍
Empty vessels .. and all that

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

we're on Britannia soonish.

please explain about trays in the buffet.

How does removing them reduce the crowding?
Meg
x

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

When you say you just got back,do you mean today.? I have a friend who is on Britannia at the moment, did the last two weeks and is now sailing back to Uk.
Mel

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Meg 50 wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 15:30

They have removed them right across the fleet Meg.
We don’t use the buffet so have no idea how it reduces crowding but could be that fewer are using it?
Empty vessels .. and all that

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I thought it was intended to reduce wastage, which I doubt it does that anyway, and certainly it cannot reduce crowding because everyone now has to make more visits to collect everything that is needed.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Hi Meg
Same number of people but each person is not carrying a large slab on which they place plates cutlery etc., they are simply carrying one (or 2) much smaller plates ... it makes it much easier to manoeuvre without hitting others. On most occasions we notice that Britannia had both buffet areas open (effectively 4 serving areas) which helped reduce the numbers (whereas Azura often relies on a single serving area, which is much more cramped). You still need to have good hip movement to dance with others though :)

The one piece of bad design I don't like are the posts close to some serving areas that you have to work around.

I think the removal of trays was a great idea, but they are still available on request ... I only saw one person using a tray which was to take food to someone in their cabin. I also believe that it makes people use buffets more like they were meant to be used ... get a course, eat it and if you want something else go up again, rather than the get everything at once and let your dinner go cold as you eat the starter ... but that is subjective.

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Onelife wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 10:31
Nice to hear that you are still living life to the full Ken… our next trip/dining experience will be at Ludlow races in April, :lol: The entertainment can be quite expensive but we always go there with the expectation of what could have been :) :thumbup:
Hi Keith
You still picking the three-legged asthmatic donkeys :)

Not sure about 'living life to the full' ... I badly overcooked it last year. I had come up with a business idea at the end of 2022 and instead of making me a few hundred quid on the side (ahem!) it snowballed into something I could not handle while also holding down a full time job ... the money rolling in was phenomenal but 100+hr weeks take their toll at my age (I am not 20 any more). I landed myself in hospital towards the end of last year ... when I got out I decided (or more accurately, the good lady told me) to sell the business ... a friend, who did have the time to deal with it, jumped at the opportunity ... he is doing very nicely plus I get paid on the side (ahem!) for doing the occasional bit of consultancy work for him.

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

screwy wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 15:35
When you say you just got back,do you mean today.? I have a friend who is on Britannia at the moment, did the last two weeks and is now sailing back to Uk.
Hi Screwy
We got back in the earlier hours yesterday.
I was talking to a couple of different people that were staying on for the transatlantic ... I would love to try it but my domestic goddess is less sold on the concept. Has your friend been enjoying it? There was a bit of a "Britannia cough" going around ... I succumbed to it towards the end of the cruise (still have it).

I believe that when she gets back she is going for a refit (Britannia that is, not the wife). I thought she was in great shape but a few areas were showing a bit of wear and tear and it was obvious a few things needed fixed (still Britannia and not the wife ... or maybe not). Look forward to seeing what has been done to her next year when we are back onboard.
Last edited by Kendhni on 24 Mar 2024, 17:10, edited 3 times in total.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We enjoyed our 28 night out and back by sea Caribbean on Ventura in 2017. But it is definitely a horses for courses choice. Unlike Keffie's nags that are more often horses for dog food. 😂

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

They removed trays a long while ago, and not for the better as far as I’m concerned.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Kendhni wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 16:49
Onelife wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 10:31
Hi Keith
You still picking the three-legged asthmatic donkeys :)

Not sure about 'living life to the full' ... I badly overcooked it last year. I had come up with a business idea at the end of 2022 and instead of making me a few hundred quid on the side (ahem!) it snowballed into something I could not handle while also holding down a full time job ... the money rolling in was phenomenal but 100+hr weeks take their toll at my age (I am not 20 any more). I landed myself in hospital towards the end of last year ... when I got out I decided (or more accurately, the good lady told me) to sell the business ... a friend, who did have the time to deal with it, jumped at the opportunity ... he is doing very nicely plus I get paid on the side (ahem!) for doing the occasional bit of consultancy work for him.
Hi Ken, the way my luck is at the moment I’m not only backing donkeys with three legs the Jockeys ride as if they have lost one of theirs as well. :shock: :)

As for good business ideas/life balance it sounds as if you made the right call on both occasions…thankfully, the reward is that you are still here to enjoy one of them. :thumbup:

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Kendhni wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 17:03
screwy wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 15:35
Hi Screwy
We got back in the earlier hours yesterday.
I was talking to a couple of different people that were staying on for the transatlantic ... I would love to try it but my domestic goddess is less sold on the concept. Has your friend been enjoying it? There was a bit of a "Britannia cough" going around ... I succumbed to it towards the end of the cruise (still have it).

I believe that when she gets back she is going for a refit (Britannia that is, not the wife). I thought she was in great shape but a few areas were showing a bit of wear and tear and it was obvious a few things needed fixed (still Britannia and not the wife ... or maybe not). Look forward to seeing what has been done to her next year when we are back onboard.
Hi Ken.
I’ve not heard anything from my friend but I’m sure I will when she gets back.
Mel

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I actually preferred the tray free system. It's actually quite surprising just how much room trays take up as people select what they want. Instead of wandering around with a tray it was a quick in, select and then away. Thumbup from me.
For those who were less mobile there was assistance available if it was needed.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Changing direction, a little, but the removal of trays is probably a good idea on the ground’s of hygiene. I doubt trays get the same attention to hygiene standards as putting them through a dishwasher…just think of all those grubby hands having held them?

However, I can fully understand Stephen wanting to keep them…he’s a “pig” :sarcasm: :lol:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Far from it. But I’m not a juggler either.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Stephen wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 10:17
Don't put so much on your plate then :lol:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

oldbluefox wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 10:21
Stephen wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 10:17
Don't put so much on your plate then :lol:

Plates Foxy, plates.

I’m thinking of taking a fold up hostess trolly :D

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Last time you told me you took a fold up hostess .

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 11:06
You’re thinking along the right lines, but in Stephen’s case, it would have been a “blow up” hostess :)

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Onelife wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 11:40
Mervyn and Trish wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 11:06
You’re thinking along the right lines, but in Stephen’s case, it would have been a “blow up” hostess :)

What's wrong with that.

imagecfr.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

:lol:
Where did you buy yours from? And do they come in different outfits...asking for Foxy :thumbup:

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Is that the Classic model or the Deluxe Stephen? :oops: :angel:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Onelife wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 13:03
:lol:
Where did you buy yours from? And do they come in different outfits...asking for Foxy :thumbup:

Got mine off of Delboy.

Return to “Britannia Cruises 2024”