Fly cruises

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
noddy10
Second Officer
Second Officer

Fly cruises

Post by noddy10 »

With the introduction of fly cruises in the summer of 2014 aboard Ventura if this proves popular will this mean less bookings for cruises from Southampton so therefore more availability of unsold cabins giving the chance that there might be even bigger Getaway deals next year from Southampton.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Fly cruises

Post by Gill W »

Or it might mean that the fly cruises are not popular, making cruises from Southampton more popular.

Meaning that there'll be less Getaways from Southampton and lots of Getaways for the fly-cruises.
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

I hope there will be Getaway deals on both as that way we will have a choice :lol:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
noddy10
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by noddy10 »

I think if anything there will be more availability because think a lot of P&O cruisers that have sailed from Southampton in the past because they had no choice will now choose to fly cruise on Ventura.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

I would imagine that P&O are also hoping to pick up many of the OV defectors on these Ventura Med cruises and if that turns out to be a good prediction then the deals will more likely be Southampton based ... because only the Med cruises are capable of attracting a new customer base.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

noddy10 wrote:
I think if anything there will be more availability because think a lot of P&O cruisers that have sailed from Southampton in the past because they had no choice will now choose to fly cruise on Ventura.

This is a generalisation, but the older, traditional passenger doesn't like flying.

They had to pull the fly cruises for Adonia, I presume due to lack of bookings.

I'm not sure it'll be a lot of current P&O cruises flying to Ventura, if anything this could open up a new market for P&O.

With Ventura in the Med, that means places from Southampton are more limited.

Limited spaces, could mean less Getaways.
Gill

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

I don't think it makes any difference, Ventura will be competing with many other lines, who have ships based in the med, Carnival are missing out on a large number of potential cruisers who go elsewhere and actually fly, rather than trying to hold on to the "Southhampton or nothing brigade, who are dwindling, the fares will be set by the level of competition
Carnival are fast becoming a niche player and can't compete against more modern cruise lines ,who offer a wider variety of options for families and younger people and people who are prepared to fly
I notice they did not put an adults only , smaller ship out there, perhaps they could not fill that one?
it is obvious PandO have lost their way and need new ideas and routes to revitalise the company

the more interesting thought would be , will they put Azura in the Carribean, full time, when the new one arrives
Nihil Obstat

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Gill W wrote:
... They had to pull the fly cruises for Adonia, I presume due to lack of bookings ...
If that was true then we wouldn't be discussing ' more ' Med based cruises ... would we ?

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

different ship, different customer base
Nihil Obstat

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

... but still a valuable P&O ' live ' trial with useful feedback from mainly informed and experienced cruisers.

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

it is a major segment they are missing out on, just look how many ships do 7-14 day repeat itinerary cruises in and around the med
next they will offer cruise and stay options and then they will really be able to compete ;)
Nihil Obstat

Andrea S
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Andrea S »

It looks interesting on paper but if P&O kept the same itinerary for another year they would need something to perk it up. There are only so many times you would want to do the same ports.
Cruise and stay and 2 centre holidays ( a few days both sides of your cruise ) may suit some people.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

There are indeed only so many times we can do the same old Ports but at least these are in the sunshine for six extra days rather than bobbing about in the grey Atlantic on route to the same old Ports like Lisbon and Vigo etc :thumbup:

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Manoverboard wrote:
Gill W wrote:
... They had to pull the fly cruises for Adonia, I presume due to lack of bookings ...
If that was true then we wouldn't be discussing ' more ' Med based cruises ... would we ?

But they DID pull the Adonia cruises, it must have been for some reason
Gill

davecttr
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by davecttr »

Gill W wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:
Gill W wrote:

They pulled them because the traditional P&O cruisers that Adonia is aimed at were not bothered about 'exciting new destinations' They just preferred their faded raj experience with lots of sea days. Plus no kids.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Can anyone who has booked one of these fly/cruises let us know which company the flights are with
ta!
Empty vessels .. and all that

Andrea S
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Andrea S »

I have never sailed from the UK ... ( Oops my finger slipped :oops: ) ... my holiday is to see as many different places as I can and to know I will be starting it where it will be warm and sunny.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Gill W wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:
Gill W wrote:

I believe it was well supported but not a roaring success because it was tried during the winter months when the majority were hell bent on going to the Caribbean or the Cararies.

If P&O didn't think the same then Ventura would not be doing a full season in the Med during 2014 ...the acid test will be if that doesn't create interest ;)

ps ... we flew to Venice with Thomas Cook but that doesn't mean that everybody else will.

davecttr
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by davecttr »

barney wrote:
Can anyone who has booked one of these fly/cruises let us know which company the flights are with
ta!
You won't know until about 10 months away from the holiday. My booking for next May just says Gatwick to Venice.
The brochure states Thomas Cook, Thomson, EasyJet, British Airways.

jake26
Cadet
Cadet

Post by jake26 »

Weren't the Adonia fly cruises sheduled for Jan - March when the Med destinations were closed?

We have booked a fly cruise with Celebrity departing Bristol and they have booked us through EasyJet - flight costs £99 pp inc transfers.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

jake26 wrote:
Weren't the Adonia fly cruises sheduled for Jan - March when the Med destinations were closed?
I would have said late October through to January but the final cruise(s) was axed due to a fuel leak which had to be resolved prior to starting her South America Worldie.

We cruised on her mid December and nothing at all was closed ... that I can recall anyway.

Capt Black
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Capt Black »

davecttr wrote:
barney wrote:
ta!
You won't know until about 10 months away from the holiday. My booking for next May just says Gatwick to Venice.
The brochure states Thomas Cook, Thomson, EasyJet, British Airways.
With a bit of luck (for us anyway) EasyJet flights might be from Sarfend. EasyJet added this route this year.

Flora8
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Flora8 »

barney wrote:
ta!
I understand that the bookings for flights have not been opened yet !!

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

We didv2 fly cruises on Adonia. The fly cruises were late October to early Jan. the cruise which was cancelled was the sail back to SH as there were engine problems which needed sorting before its WC. all pax on Adonia due to sail back had to fly back.

We flew back from Savonna on one cruise and Naples on the other.

Both were an absolute nightmare. How P O can have such an an excellent operation in the Caribbean and be a complete shambles in the med is beyond me. Both times all the pax were disembarked within an hour. Only 700 pax. We were sat on a coach for over an hour in an airport car park because the airport was full. When we got to the check in desk it was another hours wait to check in snd then again the same to get through security. The airport was just not big enough to cope with the extra numbers. Goodness knows how Savonna will cope with pax from the size of Ventura.

Hopefully Adonia was a trial and they have learnt from their mistakes.

Sue

davecttr
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by davecttr »

Suekersh wrote:
We didv2 fly cruises on Adonia. The fly cruises were late October to early Jan. the cruise which was cancelled was the sail back to SH as there were engine problems which needed sorting before its WC. all pax on Adonia due to sail back had to fly back.

We flew back from Savonna on one cruise and Naples on the other.

Both were an absolute nightmare. How P O can have such an an excellent operation in the Caribbean and be a complete shambles in the med is beyond me. Both times all the pax were disembarked within an hour. Only 700 pax. We were sat on a coach for over an hour in an airport car park because the airport was full. When we got to the check in desk it was another hours wait to check in snd then again the same to get through security. The airport was just not big enough to cope with the extra numbers. Goodness knows how Savonna will cope with pax from the size of Ventura.

Hopefully Adonia was a trial and they have learnt from their mistakes.

Sue
P&O should model their airport arrangements on the generally slick operation that Thomson have on their fly cruises. Of course Thomson have lots of experience and know all the pitfalls etc etc but generally the operation should be quite straightforward.

Fllight arrives
through immigration, a perfunctory glance at your passport
Collect your cases from baggage claim
find the P&O rep you guides you to the coach
of to the port
check in
simple?

The homeward journey is where it all goes wrong.

DO NOT USE THE USUAL PROCEDURE of getting everyone off the ship as early as possible and dumping them at the airport with possibly many hours before their flight. Use the Thomson model of staggering the passengers departure depending on flight times. If you have a early evening flight you will not leave the ship until mid afternoon!.
There is a secure onboard baggage store for your carry on bags etc so you don't have to lug them around.

CHANGE THE CABIN PREPARATION PROCEDURE to that used by Thomson so the cabins are prepared in batches according to the time of the arriving flights. When the passengers check in they are then shown to their cabin by a crew member. Passengers really appreciate this.

Savona (Genoa) should not be a problem as the normal turnaround will be about half the passengers, about 1500 plus or 6 to 8 flights depending on the aircraft used.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”