Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

DTM Live from Oriana ... X306

Post by Dennis The Menace »

Cruise Reports are hot off the press from DTM ... but posted by Moby :wave:

~~~~~~~

We're here! And without experiencing the 2 hours of delays on the M27 that many got caught up in. Luckily we were tipped off about the roadworks by our friends, and regular cruising companions, Richard and Joyce who drove down to Southampton yesterday. How frustrating must that have been for everyone who got caught up in it, to drive all that way and then, just a few miles from the ship, be at complete standstill for ages. Apparently a few Peninsular Club members did try repeatedly flashing their lapel pins at the road workers in the hope of being allowed to shoot down the hard shoulder but, except for their traditional (two fingered) salute, the lads in fluorescent jackets weren't of any assistance. But everyone seems to have got here eventually and, full credit to P&O, as we still departed on time.

And so to the cruise. It's only a 7 dayer and we "only" sail south as far as Lisbon but, after all that freezing weather at home (was blowing a very wet gale when we left home) just a few days of sun would be lovely. It also gives Mandy some much needed rest and relaxation. I'm very much up for it too now after a worry at home which put the cruise in doubt, but we really need a break so really chuffed to be here, and with a trendy new haircut to boot. I didn't even know this style came in gray !

For those that saw the report from my last cruise, I'm afraid that we had to leave Lola at home this time. She was a little deflated as you can imagine and, based on the look on her face, quite shocked. But it was the right thing to do I think as she can be hard to live and could literally just blow at anytime.

Things could get very interesting tomorrow as Captain David Pembridge has warned us that we could be really rocking and rolling in the morning, and I'm pretty sure he wasn't talking Little Richard tribute acts. Just your common all garden 7 to 8 feet swells with banging and creeping a plenty. Mandy, tends to feel the movement a bit so think we'll get breakfast delivered to the cabin tomorrow and take things from there.

Anyway, off to first sitting dinner in a minute so will do a proper update tomorrow. The Internet in already proving very slow, and therefore pricey, so I can't promise I'll answer any emails until I get back but, if you need any onboard info, feel free to ask.

To be contd ....

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Re: DTM Live from Oriana ... X306

Post by Suekersh »

Great to hear from DTM and Mandy especially as they were not sure they would get away.

Can anyone from Southampton way give any more info on the M27 roadworks.

Thanks

Sue

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Great to hear the Menace made his cruise. I know he was looking forward to it, circumstances allowing.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Poor Lola.

I hope they left her enough food and filled the litter tray before they left!
Meg
x

JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

Saw you - well Oriana - from Calshot - 4 ships today so some great pictures... Have a great cruise :D
Jenni

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

:!:

A34 Roadworks that may apply ... or try this one
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

>>>

As Fonzy's theme tune used to go, it was "rocking and rolling all night long" on board Oriana overnight and it's still very much doing so this morning. One lady on her first cruise, who we sat next to at the muster yesterday, said she had been advised to take a packet of biscuits to place on her cabin floor to determine just how rough the sea is. Well, last night, she could have placed a packet of bleeding bourbons on her floor and they would still have been rolling the length of her cabin and back. It was/is pretty choppy. No biggy, it's all part of cruising.

Anyway, yesterday's sail away was quite a subdued affair and far less crowded than normal, I think because many passengers were running late after the traffic issues in Southampton. We don't usually make the Southampton sail away as I'm normally having a pre-dinner kip courtesy of a long embarkation day but, thanks to my new friend Trevor helping me out with assisted boarding, we were onboard and rested earlier than normal. Even the music was quite mellow yesterday with the DJ opting for the more relaxed David Gray's "sail away with me honey" rather than Rod (clearly not a sailor) Stewart's more traditional fare. It may have got busier and louder later on, as we had to nip off in readiness for first sitting dinner, but I for one was very happy with the nice relaxed start.

After a very pleasant first dinner in the Peninsular Restuarant, and our indian waiters Yaty and Mil insisting we call them by those abbreviated versions of there full (longer, multi syllable) names, we took in the first Headliners show, Reel to Reel. It's the same semi-regular show, based on well known soundtracks from british movies, that they've done for a few years now but with a few tweaks to the songs, i guess to keep it fresh and suit the voices of the singers in this particular troupe. And very good it was too. The highlight for me was one of the female singers, Terri I think, singing the Bridget Jones' number "all by myself" which was great. Like me, Terri has a strong West Country accent so, when she was doing the narrative parts of the show, i was pleased to hear her pronouncing Drama as "Draaamur" and Diary as "Dii-ree". I.e correctly.

After that, we had what was supposed to be quick night cap in Tiffany's Bar at the top of the atrium with Richard & Joyce (cocktail of the day Bahama Mama) and listening to a really talented lady pianist called Clare. At one point Clare played a 6 or 7 song medley from Les Mis which kept Mandy happily entranced (and drinking!) for ages. My plan was for a much earlier night than we had in the end, but with Mandy in particular happily sat there listening (and drinking!) it seemed a shame to move. It also meant Mandy was totally and utterly pianist by the end, which hopefully means she slept much better through last night's rough seas than I did. And judging by the fact that it's now 9 o'clock and she's still not stirred, I think she did.

Right, breakfast has just arrived and I'm in danger of breaking the golden rule of cruising, I.e. getting hungry, so will catch you all later after a lovely, but wobbly, day at sea.

:wave:

Andrea S
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Andrea S »

DTM, It is so good to be able to catch up on your travels once again. What a difference the assisted boarding seems to have made to the start of your holiday. Bet you havnt even had a chance to think of lonely Lola , the shrinking violet. Enjoy your holiday and even if we have to wait until you are home for further updates I am sure you will have plenty to tell , all a chuckle a minute.

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

A very entertaining account, Dennis, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and look forward to further updates when you are able.
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Delighted to hear about the assisted boarding and the difference it made. Our petition worked !!!!!!!!!!!
Meg
x

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Evening all

Rumour had it we were due to have cake baking legend, Eric Lanlard, on this cruise but it appears we were wrong. As such, you'll have settle for a cake EATING legend - i.e. me ! If its any consolation, I do intend to devote myself fully to my art and will inevitably talk complete Cobbler. Mandy's already, rather unkindly, suggested I'm starting to look more like a Roly Poly than the Roly Poly does, but then that might have something to do with the custard that was dripping off my chin at dinner last night.

I am starting to worry actually that the weight I gain on each cruise isn't fully vacating my torso by the time the next cruise comes round. That's hardly fair and not explained at all, I note, in the terms and conditions in the brochure. So, i think its time someone addressed the chubby elephant in the room and, as shocking as it is, its time someone said it - CRUISING MAKES YOU FAT. It must be down to the different air pressure at sea or something but you definitely acquire some extra timber - fact!! Blimey this whistle blowing lark really gives you an appetite doesn't it?

A quiet day for us today as, even though the sea hasn't been as bad as the Captain had feared, we still had quite a swell to deal with. It turns out, the reason our first night was particularly bumpy was because, with everyone safely in bed, the captain put his foot down to out run the worst of the weather and ensure a comfortable first sea day come the morning. And it largely worked with most passengers up and about and pointing mockingly at the sick bags that had appeared on the stairways over night.

Alas, for Mandy and others, the sea was still swelling far too much to see them leave the prostrate comfort of their cabin but thanks to our room service waiter, Pritish, and a couple of good movies on the tele, Mandy was well catered for. I did try to entice her out at one point but, as we walked towards the full length glass door that accesses the aft Terrace Pool area, the horizon and sky completely disappeared from view in favour of a beautiful, but undulating, blue sea. I counted at least 4 seconds before the horizon came back into view, one second more than it took Mandy to get back to the cabin. After that I settled back into my role as her tea boy and chip gatherer with a promise not to make her revisit the situation until dinner.

Come dinner time, she still wasn't feeling too great so packed me off to represent the menaces at feeding time alone. I felt pretty guilty actually tucking into all that lovely grub but I needn't have worried. By the time I got back to the cabin at 8 o'clock, not only had our head waiter sent up to the cabin all 3 courses of the dairy free dinner she had pre-ordered last night, but dairy free chocolate and coffee too. I couldn't believe my eyes, she was stretched out on the bed, happy as Larry and about to watch 2.5 hours of Rock of Ages on the tele. So, that's the rest of my night planned then, I'm just glad I don't have to do her washing up.

Anyway, Vigo tomorrow and all this keeping Mandy company in the cabin today meant I was able to do some belated research. Did you know for example that Sir frances drake once tried to besiege the place only to be repelled, legend has it, by Maria Pita, a local lady who, having just see her army captain husband killed by drake's forces, immediately picked up his spear and killed the English flag bearer. "Quien tenga honra, que me siga" she said (which roughly translates to "follow me if you have honour, and there's a paella back at mine afterwards") and inspired the Spanish to send the English squealing back to their ships. Sadly for her, Drake returned 4 years later with greater success whilst she was doing the ironing . I just hope she's not working border control tomorrow otherwise it could be a very short trip ashore.

Right, it's 9.10 and I have already had my jammys on for an hour. Who says I don't know how to party? Night all.

P.s. 101 years today since the titanic went down (gulp)

P.p.s & the 24th anniversary of Hillsborough (RIP the 96)

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Great to hear from you, little stripey man. Don't worry about the weight, it's just too much sitting around writing books. Have you finished it yet?

Hope the sea improves so that Mandy can get out and about and that Maria is back in the convent while you are at Vigo.

Have fun and keep posting - still the best read going.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Have a lovely cruise, I'll be reading along with interest.
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

DTM has recently advised me ...

" Book is hard work but going ok Ta, about halfway through and sending the first 30 pages to a literary lady on my return from Hols. Doubt she'll be interested but her feedback might be interesting. "
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Hi DTM, good to see that they are looking after you both on board and with the assisted boarding. Enjoy your day in Vigo, will be waiting for your next update , all the best.

Ray
Don't worry, be happy

Andrea S
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Andrea S »

Hope Mandy is beginning to feel better, but she sounds very comfortable where she is. Always a twist in your tales. glad you are up to posting.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

How is it that I could sing every word of "Mary's Prayer", a song they played at the sailaway that I haven't heard since the 90's, but I couldn't remember how to tie a bow tie last night ? Admittedly it's been 11 months since I last wore one but i gave up in the end and was forced to borrow a ready tied one. Was i allowed to forget it ? Hell no, there were constant jokes and references at my expense all night - even to the point where, for my post show cocktail, I was bought a Mai Tai on account of "my tie" being back in my cabin!

Anyhoos, yesterday we awoke in the port of Vigo to find a strange yellow circle in the sky which I'm pleased to say, after an incredibly long British winter, was giving off plenty of light and warmth. A little too much warmth in some cases as there were some very pink faces onboard later in the day but no one was complaining, it was bloody lovely. Vigo itself was really pleasant, and much greener than other Spanish ports we've stopped at previously. I could really see us living here as this area of Spain seems to encompasse many of the country's plus points (i.e its not France!) but without the intense summer heat of the south. Also, the changing seasons always seem to be more evident up here. Due to Vigo possessing one of the largest natural harbours in the world, there wasn't even any need for a shuttle bus as Oriana parked right on Vigo's doorstep.

We just opted for a stroll around the old town, barely 2 minutes walk from the cruise terminal. Almost immediately we stumbled across a pretty little street called Calle de Los Cesteros, which translates to something like "the street of the basket makers" and is filled with tiny craft shops offering everything from hand made picnic baskets to wicker furniture. Next we passed a number of bars and tapas cafes, housed in a series of beautiful old stone buildings, before coming across Vigo's little cathedral. But, as pleasant as it is, the old town isn't massive and we soon found ourselves entering the central shopping district where a noisy demonstration was going on outside the local government buildings. It was a right racket, with the demonstrators continually sounding dozens of those hand held "honky honky" horns. It was bedlam, but a sign of the economical unrest I guess. After seeking solace and sunshine in a stunning tree lined square for a bit, we took a slow leisurely walk back to this ship via the promenade.

Once onboard we headed for lunch in the Oriental Restaurant to find that the small, anti-Noro, measures that had been in place for the first 48 hours of the cruise had been removed. I don't think they had a major problem on the last cruise but it sounds like this approach is becoming fairly standard at this time of year to counteract the possibility of anyone bringing the virus onboard with them. Very sensible in my opinion and minimal inconvenience. The lunch wasn't half bad either, mussels and sea food ravioli for me and a curry for Mandy that tasted so good, my envious looks ensured I was brought one too. Two main courses meant forgoing dessert, as i was very full, but well worth it.

Then, after sunning ourselves all afternoon by the aft Terrace Pool, and another enjoyable but, again quite subdued sailaway, it was time for a sauna, shave and shower in time for the Captain's Welcome Aboard Party. I can take or take or leave these personally but Mand was dressed and georgeous in record time (i normally assume she'll need a 90 minute turn around on a formal night!) and so we were down in the Pacific Lounge, free drink(s) in hand, listening to the Captain describe the perils of a sea that causes the ship to both roll AND pitch. Incidentally, on the TV yesterday, I saw an interview with the captain that took place last week, in which he congratulated the previous passengers for their timing, as the next cruise (I.e. us), would have one hell of a ride back back south. But he says sunshine and calm seas await us now so all good.

Next, we had another terrific dinner in the Peninsular Restaurant with, a now resurgent, Mandy in attendance and keen to make up for lost time. We followed that up with the second of the Headliner's shows, this one called Destination Dance. Once again, it was a very slight variation on a show we've seen before but it's always good to watch that one with extra emphasis, as the title suggests, on the dance side of things, although the vocals were very good too. Having waited at the end of the show for the crowds to clear as usual, I was surprised to see the Headliners still thanking everyone for coming as we belatedly reached the exits and, in particular, my favourite dancer Gemma. I intended to ask her if she was any good with a bow tie but, getting a wee but flustered, I think I actually asked her if she would bear my children. Mandy promptly dragged me off to Tiffany's.

And there it was that we finished the evening drinking Mai Tai's and, surely the campest cocktail in history - a raspberry creme brûlée - introduced to me a few cruises ago by surely the campest waiter in history, Fernando. We also had the lady pianist Clare playing the piano for us again and she's proving very popular indeed. She played the Anniversary Waltz last night for a couple celebrating their 59th wedding Anniversary which was a nice touch. I asked the gentleman what his secret was and his reply, without a hint that he was anything but deadly serious, was "a fear of loneliness" !?!

Anyway, in Lisboa today - not be be confused with Liz Boa, the snake themed stripper from Wootton Bassett - and we are about to sail up the Tagus so I'm off for a gander. It's promising to be 22 degrees in the shade today so should be a perfect. Toodle pip.

Jacknian
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Jacknian »

Very interesting report, thank you. Those raspberry Creme brûlée are gorgeous !

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

hey ho Menace
good to see you both up and about and enjoying your cruise :thumbup:
Nihil Obstat

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Great to read about your cruise and that you and Mandy are enjoying it - despite the initial rough seas. On your return I look forward to hearing about your thoughts of the latest Grand Prix - and all the contention surrounding Vettel. We managed to see the first two Grand Prix on our Azura cruise - albeit at one point having to peer round a couple insisting on playing snooker while we were trying to see the tv screen - there were lots of passengers keen to watch the motor racing. Hope you continue to have a great time.

Carole

melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

DTM

Great to see you are sailing again and reporting too. You clearly made the waves go away as we had a brilliant crossing of the Bay on our way home on Azura.
Have a fab time.

Melsea

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

A full day yesterday even though, in the end, we saw less of Lisbon that anticipated. The problem was, as soon as our shuttle bus left the port gates, it immediately got stuck in a bumper to bumper traffic jam. Worse still, the road system meant we had to first drive half a mile in the wrong direction before we could join the tailback "going" in the correct direction. It took us 30 minutes just to get back level with our starting point opposite Oriana's berth, i.e. 10 mins longer than it would have taken us to walk all the way to the centre in the first place. And after a further (practically stationary) 20 minutes, walk was exactly what we did when the driver finally realised we were going nowhere. When the exit door opened, half a bus load of frustrated passengers jumped off so quickly you could have been forgiven for thinking Godzilla had just come menacingly around the corner wearing his new, bus stomping, trainers.

Now normally, such a delay wouldn't have been a problem especially as we have been to Lisbon twice before. But at 10.30 yesterday morning, an elderly friend's funeral was taking place back home, and we had deliberately gone ashore early with a view to finding a quiet little church to say a small prayer for him. Luckily, fate came to our aid as our bus' unscheduled stop turned out to be just yards from an ancient but really beautiful little church which I believe, subject to me googling it for visual confirmation when I get home, was called Madalena Church. It really was stunning inside and full of so much gold and silver I half expected Jean Valjean to walk in and nick a couple of candle sticks whilst warbling on about a loaf of bread. Suffice to say, we got to say our bit to the man upstairs.

Next, with our plan to jump on a on a "hop on, hop off" made null and void by the traffic jam, we opted for a gentle stroll along the Tagus towards Lisbon's version of the Golden Gate Bridge. And, whilst we had already learnt from a previous visit that the bridge, and particularly the monument and Belin Tower beyond it, we're actually too deceptively far along the river than was sensible to attempt on foot, we still had a decent stroll. In fact, with the huge Christ is King statue overlooking their near-replica of the Golden Gate Bridge, Lisbon from this angle looked more like San Francisco or Rio de Janeiro. Thanks to the beautiful sunshine, and cloudless sky, the temperature gauge was starting to resemble the latter too. And so with my legs getting increasing wobbly, and my brow increasingly sweaty, we headed back to the ship for some rest and, obviously (hello, I'm wasting away here!) some lunch.

Indeed, lunch turned out to be an "interesting" experience as we were joined by a couple who, based on their social skills, I can only assume were raised by wolves. Right from the point they sat down and we said "hello" all they managed in response to us or the waiters was, essentially, grunts. I didn't mind them ignoring us, or even each other, but I felt bad for the waiters as all their attempts to ensure this couple enjoyed their lunch was met with a stoney silence or a rather rude shake of the head. Feeling slightly uncomfortable on their behalf, i may therefore have overcompensated slightly in my own interaction with our waiters. Long story short, not only do we now know our waiter's marital status, how many siblings they have and the name of their hometowns, but i think we are now fully expected to attend Anil's sister's wedding in Goa next month.

After an afternoon of sunning ourselves out by the Terrace Pool - either side of watching the excellent Silver Linings Playbook in the cinema when the sun got too hot - we had another splendid dinner in the Peninsular Restaurant. Mandy is really enjoying her dairy free dining this cruise as, thanks to some useful tips from a fellow food freak (Cornmillgirl from the forum) our head waiter, Agnelo, has done her proud both in terms of variety and taste. He even organised two different puds for her yesterday which hardly seems fair! And finally, what felt like a pretty full day in the end, was topped off by a brilliant Headliners "Abba" show in the Pacific Lounge. I can't actually remember any Abba song's that involved the wearing of straw cowboy hats and black Lycra hot pants but the fella's carried it off ok, and the whole show was once again Fabbaulous.

Anyway, Porto today and whilst my normal health issues are telling me i need a quiet day, I'm determined to get ashore for a bit as not been here before. It's a cooler 18 degrees today so that should help. "Adeus" for now. That's Portuguese for "see ya cock".

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Nice one DTM, have a great day in Porto.

Ray
Don't worry, be happy

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Thoroughly enjoyable report, Dennis, although maybe I shouldn't have read the bit about the lads in Headliners wearing black hot pants while I was having my lunch!
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Susan Watt
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Susan Watt »

Glad you are cruising again. I really love your reports. Keep them coming.

Susan (formerly Susan 456)

Return to “Oriana Cruise Reports”