Part time wheelchair users.

Topics relating to disabled cruising

Topic author
Mr-big-bits-mk2
Third Officer
Third Officer

Part time wheelchair users.

Post by Mr-big-bits-mk2 »

This is probably obvious to most but if it hadn't occured to you you may not need to book an accessible cabin which can sell out early and limit your choice.

Vicki has a collapsable wheelchair but can manage short distances using crutches. It allows us to pick any room we like as she only has to manage from the door into the room, the rest of the ship is accessible via wheelchair. It allows you much more choice and will free up the accessible rooms for those that really need them.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Re: Part time wheelchair users.

Post by Kendhni »

That is a very good point and one that people should consider more, especially those with disabilities.
Just because you are disabled, or own a blue badge, does not mean that you must use disabled facilities. If a person can manage without using such facilities then surely that person, of all people, should understand the benefits of not using it thereby leaving it for someone who truly needs it.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Is it possible to leave the wheelchair outside the cabin or must they be taken inside ... given that some cabins are less spacious than others.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Manoverboard wrote:
Is it possible to leave the wheelchair outside the cabin or must they be taken inside ... given that some cabins are less spacious than others.
All cruise lines insist that wheelchairs are stored in your cabin when not in use, which is sensible as they could be a hazard left in the corridor in an emergency situation.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

stocktonmackem
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by stocktonmackem »

Kendhni wrote:
That is a very good point and one that people should consider more, especially those with disabilities.
Just because you are disabled, or own a blue badge, does not mean that you must use disabled facilities. If a person can manage without using such facilities then surely that person, of all people, should understand the benefits of not using it thereby leaving it for someone who truly needs it.
Unfortunately not all disabled people think like that :thumbdown: We once had to book a travelodge in an emergancy and because we were the last people to arrive we had to make do with a normal room even though we had booked a disabled room. This meant that hubby couldnt get into the bathroom and had to use the public toilets. I was very annoyed the next morning when i saw the 'disabled' person practically running to the car parked in the blue badge place with their family and drive off.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Makes sense to me, thanks :thumbup:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

I am disabled. I do not use a wheelchair as I can walk short distances so I use a scooter. I find that adapted rooms, on land and at sea are of little use to me. The wash basins are low to assist those in a chair. If you are not in a chair the basin can be so low as to give you a bad back. They oftain take away all flat surfaces to make more space for the chairs leaving you no room to put anything. If I get stuck in an adapted room it drives me to distraction.

I am very happy to leave adapted rooms to those in a wheelchair because that's what the rooms have been designed for.

Gan Canny

Dai

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

stocktonmackem wrote:
I was very annoyed the next morning when i saw the 'disabled' person practically running to the car parked in the blue badge place with their family and drive off.
A common practice and exactly what happens when you hand blue badges out like smarties ... or you acquire one from a car boot sale.

orchid
Cadet
Cadet

Post by orchid »

Good idea and it will work for wheelchair users. However scooter uses who may not need all the facilities of an adapted cabin have no choice to book one as the alternative is having to book a mini suite, or in the case of Azura and ventua a suite at a huge cost. Fine if you can afford it.

haveabeer
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by haveabeer »

my wife is a part time wheelchair user and we always book a standard room
we usually have a balcony i leave the chair outside
Our next cruise in 4 weeks is on Azura if like Ventura it will be easy to navigate our wasy around
we normally book shower only cabins as its easier for the wife but this time we have a shower over bath
but P&O offered us a small step so she can climb into the bath
Dave

Crystal Tips
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Crystal Tips »

I'm new here and have been reading the wheelchair comments.
I can walk a few steps with my sticks but use a wheelchair to get around the ship. I can stand and get around the cabin just about so we don't have to have a disabled cabin. My husband is finding it difficult to push me these days. My question is is an electric wheelchair treated the same as a scooter. Can we put it in the cabin. We have an inside one if that helps.

haveabeer
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by haveabeer »

Crystal Tips wrote:
I'm new here and have been reading the wheelchair comments.
I can walk a few steps with my sticks but use a wheelchair to get around the ship. I can stand and get around the cabin just about so we don't have to have a disabled cabin. My husband is finding it difficult to push me these days. My question is is an electric wheelchair treated the same as a scooter. Can we put it in the cabin. We have an inside one if that helps.
My understanding that both electric wheelchairs and scooters require a adapted cabin, these havelarger door openings and more interior room allowing the person to move around within the cabin also larger bathroom with shower,folding wheelchairs will fit into any cabin usually when you book a cruise they will require you to fill out a form to register you as disabled on this form they ask for measurements of the mobility aid you are using
P&O are very helpful if you are not sure give them a call
Dave

Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray Scully »

I witnessed a near miracle a few years ago. We were taking a Caribbean cruise departing from Manchester airport. A lady in a wheelchair was attracting some attention because of her demanding nature. She became particularly upset at Barbados when she could not leave the aircraft first. However after a few days in the Caribbean sun, we witnessed the miracle, she was normally first on the dance floor and seemed to have the stamina of someone three quarters her age. Sadly there were a few relapses when she had to retire to her wheelchair, usually when it was beneficial in terms of queue jumping , but generally she really got around like any able bodied person for most of the cruise. But it was all to good to last, the relapse set in as soon as her flight home was called.
What a disservice to those who truly need these facilities.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Crystal Tips - my understanding is the same as that of haveabeer but as these types of rules are subject to change the only definitive answer would be from P&O

Crystal Tips
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Crystal Tips »

i'l have some of that sun if it cures like that. I get fed up when I hear things like your comment because most of the people who cant walk I know would really like to be able to walk. it's not much fun being stuck in a wheelchair.
Thank you to the other comment. I will phone p&o and ask them because disabled cabins are expensive.

haveabeer
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by haveabeer »

Crystal Tips wrote:
i'l have some of that sun if it cures like that. I get fed up when I hear things like your comment because most of the people who cant walk I know would really like to be able to walk. it's not much fun being stuck in a wheelchair.
Thank you to the other comment. I will phone p&o and ask them because disabled cabins are expensive.
My wife is a part to e wheelchair user, I encourage her to walk as much as possible but 5 mins walking and she is done in
But you be surprised at the comments we have received when one minute my wife is walking the next she is in the wheelchair.
Wish people would not judge by what they see not all disabilities are visible, yes there are some that will take advantage but the majority do suffer from a disability
Dave

Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray Scully »

haveabeer wrote:

My wife is a part to e wheelchair user, I encourage her to walk as much as possible but 5 mins walking and she is done in
But you be surprised at the comments we have received when one minute my wife is walking the next she is in the wheelchair.
Wish people would not judge by what they see not all disabilities are visible, yes there are some that will take advantage but the majority do suffer from a disability
Hence my final comment "What a disservice to those who truly need these facilities"

We see it when people fiddle the Social, everyone gets tarred with the same brush.

Ray

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Crystal Tips wrote:
It will be worthwhile phoning P&O as I understand they have now relaxed the rules regarding scooters in standard cabins, but they only allow narrow lightweight scooters whuch can fit through a standard cabin door, and there is only a limited range on the P&O list.
I doubt there are any electric chairs on the list since they will all be too wide for standard cabin doors.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Tootlingted1
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Tootlingted1 »

I couldn't agree more. I have a fold up scooter fairly new on the market and they fold up smaller than a wheelchair. I only use it for distances ashore as I have an artificial leg, 2 hip replacements and a knee replacement. I certainly don't need an adapted cabin and feel they should be reserved for those who are totally wheelchair bound or have a complex medical requirement.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Welcome to the site TT1 :wave: :wave:

bronte30
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by bronte30 »

I was thinking of buying a luggie, so I didn't have to book an adapted cabin, but was told as it's still a scooter I would have to book an adapted cabin. If anyone has been able to book just a cabin. , please let me know.

oldfella76
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by oldfella76 »

A pity no one replied earlier to your post. I received the same answer when enquiring about a fold up scooter. As a result I bought a secondhand electric wheelchair for our upcoming cruise. Daft thing is as my wife also has mobility problems we will now have two wheelchairs in our balcony cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to “Cruising for the Disabled”