Thomson Majesty

Anything about Thomson cruises

Topic author
Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Thomson Majesty

Post by Romig1 »

We are seriously thinking of booking for next May a cruise & stay package with Thomson, sailing from Corfu up the Adriatic calling at Koper, Venice, Zadar, Dubrovnik, and Kotor - followed by a week vegetating by a pool in Corfu. Great price, great itinerary and a free upgrade to AI on the cruise if booked by Monday at the latest. We have (apart from a couple of cruises many years ago) sailed with P&O, but because we like to book early for work commitments, I think we will end up with either another cruise line or a land holiday next year.

Although I understand the "happy with the price when you booked" argument (which I agree with to a point), I'm simply not prepared to book a Vantage Fare with P&O knowing there is a likelihood of vastly reduced prices next year on Getaway Deals...most of which also seem to get upgrades. I fear that P&O have lost another customer for next year - which is a shame as we enjoy what they offer.

I know that others on here rate Thomson quite highly, so we are prepared to give them a go....the itinerary really appeals to me and the bonus is the extra week spent by a pool rather than sailing in what is likely to be cooler weather. The Adriatic cruises with P&O really are poor itineraries these days with calls only at Venice and Dubrovnik - which is a shame as I know that the sail in and out of Kotor is supposed to be pretty special.

Any comments from Thomson fans (or otherwise?)

Topic author
Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Thomson Majesty

Post by Romig1 »

I forgot to ask...is the Gala Night well attended? I assume it is worth packing the DJ - even though there is a 20kg luggage allowance?

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Never done a Thomson cruise so I have no first hand experience but, as with all of these things, only you can decide whether Thomson is for you - and the only way to do it is to try it.

As you say there are many who really like Thomson and they do come out quite high in surveys for customer satisfaction so if the itinerary is what you want then I would say go for it (then again I would as I am not paying for it :lol: )

Topic author
Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Another plus point is that there are good full days in port in the main...none of this 3.30pm departure nonsense that P&O seem to be increasingly doing.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

We would certainly book with Thomson and agree that it is a lovely itinerary ... we would however prefer to cruise on their Platinum rated ' Dream ' or ' Celebration ' Ships.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

The Dream would be our preference too.... but it's the Majesty which does the itinerary we want.

Just realized that it's cheaper and better flights from Leeds/Bradford (than Manchester) too And the parking is cheaper there!. :thumbup:

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Sounds like a win, win all round :thumbup:

Have you checked if Thomson do "girlie pink" cocktails :crazy: :?:

Topic author
Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

And why would I wish to do that?? :?: :moresarcasm: :angel:

AngieT
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by AngieT »

Hi Rob,

We've just come back from a Baltic cruise on Thomson Spirit & we were mightily impressed with them (I've just sent your mum an email with a review of the cruise). OK we are probably biased in that it was Ray's first 'working' cruise as a guest lecturer but, only having cruised with P & O in the past, we didn't know what to expect & we ended up having a brilliant time. I don't know what the Majesty is like but the Spirit is old & worn around the edges but it's more than made up for by the friendliness of the crew & passengers & the wonderful lack of moaners & oneupmanship that we have sometimes come across on P & O. The entertainment was streets ahead of the Headliners - like watching a West End show every night and yes, the Gala night was 90% attended with about 70% in tuxedos & the rest in lounge suits - and you queue to shake hands with the captain before getting your drinks & nibbles! They have one formal night a week & our second night was when the waiters do the 'Flaming Baked Alaska' parade & then sing a song to the passengers!

As for the itinerary you fancy, we went to Zadar on Adonia and loved it - a lovely little town with a 'sea organ' built into the pier & a church tower that you can climb up for a wonderful view of the town.

Getting a free upgrade to AI is worth it too because the drinks packages are quite expensive (unless you drink an awful lot). Otherwise, if you only imbibe in the odd drink the prices are mainly on a par with P & O. They do the cocktail & mocktail & coffee of the day and a cocktail of the hour at 4.30pm which are good buys!

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Romig
as you know we were booked onto this exact same cruise earlier this year, but due to the house move we had to change it for one early next year
I have no issue going with Thomson, the ships are a little smaller and a bit older but the reviews seem to be very favourable.
regarding the Gala night, we opted not to take formal attire due to the weight restriction on a fly cruise, but each to their own
we also got AI and having done the maths, it seems like a right bargain, if it is free at the time of booking

go with an open mind and you could be very pleasantly surprised :wave:
Nihil Obstat

Wina G
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Wina G »

It's booked :D

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Good for you - I've travelled with Thomson a few time and thoroughly enjoyed it - the itineraries were pretty special - the Red Sea cruise I did twice - entertainment and food as good as P&O. Only drawback as a single was a rather noisy cabin down in the depths of the ship but it certainly didn't spoil the cruise. It is less formal but with fly cruises this makes sense due to baggage weight restrictions. I'm sure you'll have a great time :thumbup:
Janis

Wina G
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Wina G »

Could this thread please be moved in to Thomson (not Thompson!) :thumbup:

Wina G
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Wina G »