Cadiz for the wheelchair user

Topics relating to disabled cruising

Topic author
The Girl
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Cadiz for the wheelchair user

Post by The Girl »

Please could someone advise if Cadiz town is suitable fro a wheelchair user my hubby will be doing the pushing with a smile whatever the problems but do not wish to try him to much.

Was considering Seville but even less sure of whether this would be a wise choice.
Many thanks in advance

PS Lisbon may be the next query!!!!!!

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: Cadiz for the wheelchair user

Post by towny44 »

Cadiz should present few problems for your hubby, my wife, a wheelchair user, and I, a wheelchair pusher, were there in April and thought it was our favourite port on a Spanish Med cruise.
There are some uneven areas, a few cobbles and limited dropped curbs, but the town is reasonably level and there is a nice semi pedestrianised shopping area.
Pick up one of the maps from the tourist office and you should be able to navigate your way round what is a reasonably compact town fairly easily.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

The Girl wrote:
Please could someone advise if Cadiz town is suitable fro a wheelchair user my hubby will be doing the pushing with a smile whatever the problems but do not wish to try him to much.

Was considering Seville but even less sure of whether this would be a wise choice.
Many thanks in advance

PS Lisbon may be the next query!!!!!!

If you turn right when out the dock you can get to a wonderful garden area. Or many of the HOHO buses are wheelchair/scooter friendly. you get to see much more that way and no pushing. I am a scooter user and we think Cadiz is one of the nicer ports.

Gan Canny

Dai

Topic author
The Girl
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by The Girl »

Many thanks all

That all sounds very good much better that long journeys to Seville.

Have you lovely people any experience of Lisbon???/

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

The main thoroughfare through Lisbon is pedestrianised and on the flat so it's easy to wander and take a look in all the shops. And don't forget to feed your hubby with Pastis de Belem to give him energy for the push back!! Away from the pedestrianised area it is hilly so you would find it hard going. Again there are HoHo buses.

Lisbon has a great sail in/out. An alternative to the city is a walk along the riverside to the Belem Tower which looks like a wide promenade.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

We have no experience at all of wheelchairs, but

I would have said that Lisbon is very hilly and spread out, also that many of the main places of interest on are up, or even on the top of, the hilliest parts ... a coach tour with photo stops with some flat walking plus free time in the Centre would be my suggestion.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Lisbon has lots of cobbles so it can be a problem with a wheelchair, strangely the roads are the worst, paved with very small sets rather like Rome, they are smooth so normally quite easy, BUT where some are missing it is very easy for a front wheel to drop into the gap, I have almost tipped Pauline out once or twice around the main square. :problem:
There is normally an accessible shuttle bus here if you are berthed down river, if up river it is an easy walk into the area the shuttle bus would drop you.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Return to “Cruising for the Disabled”