Computer Security

Arrange to meet other members whilst on a cruise on Oceana

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Computer Security

Post by david63 »

I would just like to remind members about computer security.

There was recently a post made on the forum that contained a link to another site. Unfortunately one or two other members reported that their Internet security programs reported a problem with the content of the link. Whilst I fully accept that the member who posted the link was unaware of the problem with the content of the link it just goes to serve as a reminder that we all need to take precautions when using the Internet.

There are some precautions taken within the software, and configuration, of this site which attempts to minimise the risk of problems to other users - but there can be no substitute for each user looking after their own computer security.

Please consider your fellow forum members when posting links to other sites.

arcadialover
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: Computer Security

Post by arcadialover »

How would you know if a link was iffy?

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

If you use quality antivirus software on your computer it is highly unlikely that it will happen but if you do not bother then it may be best not to post links for others to use.

If you do then it would be thoughtful to advise that the link has not been virus checked as in that way everybody is aware of the potential risk.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Orpheus
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Orpheus »

There is no excuse for not having computer security software AVAST AVG and AD-AWARE are very good and they are free and there are many more. Also there are many free Mailware programs available. 8-)

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Manoverboard wrote:
If you use quality antivirus software on your computer it is highly unlikely that it will happen
A little bit of a misnomer there ... most of the widely available anti virus software is 'quality' however at particular point of time any product may be better or worse than any other product depending on when the last update was received. Irrespective of which product you use it is vital to ensure that it is kept up to date ... or it is virtually useless.

Orpheus
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Orpheus »

Very good point Ken absolutely essential. And of course they can be set up to update themselves.

arcadialover
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by arcadialover »

Thanks MOB, I am a bit of a computer thick O but I do know my partner is always updating something to do with anti virus stuff.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

mind you, it doesn't help when a high profile poster dismisses this with " virus stuff is for techies and geeks..."
Meg
x

Orpheus
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Orpheus »

Meg virus stuff is for every body that uses a computer

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Orpheus - you know that, and I know that, but one's security is only as good as the weakest link....

I'm not naming the member of this forum who made the comment I quoted a couple of posts back
Meg
x

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

I actually run minimal security software simply because, despite how good it is, the bottom-line is that anything that can be run in software can be beaten by software.

I actually run browsers in a totally sandboxed virtual machine. When I shut down the virtual machine it securely deletes absolutely everything that was added since the virtual machine was started putting it back to my original 'safe' environment. I am sure at some point a virus will find a way to circumvent this but, in the meantime it works for me. Apart from that I run MS Security Essentials on my main machine .. and occasionally install/uninstall other security programs to ensure everything is still OK.

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

The point there is Ken is that you do take precautions and, technically, you know what you are doing

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

david63 wrote:
The point there is Ken is that you do take precautions and, technically, you know what you are doing
unlike the 'I'm alright, Jack' attitude quoted above!
Meg
x

Orpheus
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Orpheus »

Meg 50 wrote:
Orpheus - you know that, and I know that, but one's security is only as good as the weakest link....

I'm not naming the member of this forum who made the comment I quoted a couple of posts back

Fair point meg maybe there should be a name & shame attitude on this forum. There is no excuse for not having protection on a computer as everybody knows somebody who knows about computers. 8-)

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

david63 wrote:

well, he is part of the "IT Crowd"!!
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

I have been posting about peoples blase attitude towards their passwords for years on this, the P&O and other boards) ... finally the media is catching up

It always amazes me when someone gives me access to their computer to fix something and, within a few seconds, I can tell them their most secret passwords. Worse still is months later when they have something else go wrong I see that not only have they NOT taken my advice but they have not even changed their passwords .. and then they wonder how scammers rip them off ... some deserve it

Return to “The Meeting Place - Oceana”