during the day

Questions from those who are new to cruising

Topic author
bubbles
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

during the day

Post by bubbles »

Hi All this is our first real cruise, although we have done the booze cruise to zeebruga
we are going from Southampton to the Caribbean so there is, 3 days away from land then another 4 days
any ideas how to kill the time, does the ship put on items to amuse us
I have a few books but 7 days and no land is a little bit daunting

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Re: during the day

Post by oldbluefox »

Hi bubbles and welcome to the site. :wave:

I must confess I have never done 7 days across to the Caribbean but on the longer cruises the entertainment team always lay on a variety of activities to keep you occupied so in between relaxing and eating and drinking and shopping and watching the world go by there is usually something going on whether it be a film, quizzes, talks, demonstrations, competitions etc. And the further you stray from Southampton the warmer it is going to get.

I expect somebody will be along shortly who has done 'the Full Monty' and can give you more detailed information.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

We did this over last Christmas and never got bored. It's surprising how quickly it gets warm and it's good to get away from all life's problems and relax with a book or a jigsaw.
Last edited by Quizzical Bob on 04 Sep 2013, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We have done this - or in reverse - on quite a few occasions.....there are always plenty of activities to amuse you, should you wish.

Sea days are our faourite, we never tire of them. I'm sure you'll enjoy the crossing.
Gill

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Hi Bubbles and welcome :wave:

I've done quite a few cruises from Southampton to the Caribbean and back and love them. It does sound daunting so many days at sea but Foxy is right there are lots of activities and as you go further south the weather improves and you can spend time outside. I have done this trip in November, January, February and March and always had lovely weather - you sometimes have to pinch yourself that it's actually the winter. I particularly enjoyed the art classes on my last transatlantic trip. I'm sure you will find lots of things to occupy your time - just enjoy :thumbup:
Janis

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

The Monocled Mutineer
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by The Monocled Mutineer »

Long and languid sea days are the true essence of cruising. As well as having enjoyed two round trips to the Caribbean and a double-crossing to/from NY, I always try to find a cruise in the Med that incorporates, not only the two/three days out of and back to Southampton but two days or more at sea in the Med.

Our forthcoming cruise on Oriana (20/9) fits this specification perfectly with nine and a half days at sea out of 17 nights and two lots of two days at sea in the Med.
TMM

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Welcome from me too :wave:

We've done this many times and trust me you won't have time to be bored, in fact the days just fly by there is always something to do :thumbup:
Jo

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

At the moment I think that the longest we've been at sea is just over 4 days - if we'd wanted to there were all sorts of interesting activities and entertainment going on; but for us it is the sheer joy of being at sea, no matter what the sea-state is.

Em ;)

jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jay-ell71 »

Its all a matter of "mind set". You mustn't keep dwelling on the days before landfall, its not an endurance test, you have to relax into each day. The longest we have been at sea with no land in sight was nine days. (we were supposed to dock at St Helena but poor weather prevented that) some passengers were pretty fed up, but me, I loved every minute. There are lots of activities available all written up in your daily Horizon Paper. Give some of them a try. Or, you can be very lazy and read your books, watch the sea, you might see some dolphins or flying fish, enjoy watching the activities of other passengers, have some Pimms or Champagne....... you are on holiday. That is not to say that when you see land again you wont be delighted, you will be thrilled.

Have a lovely first cruise, and it wont be your last.

PS if you run out of books, there is a library on board.
Jay

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

We were on the cruise that sailed back to Southampton from the Caribbean this April, on Azura. My husband who can't sit still for 5 minutes was concerned that he would be bored - he wasn't. There is a lot going on if you want to join in - he developed an interest in Shuffleboard and played twice most days. There were lectures and all sorts of things to do. You do get into a more relaxed state of mind - I just loved being able to sit and read. There were films on at various times during the day too. It's lovely first thing in the morning knowing you can have lots to do if you wish, or nothing at all if you prefer. My husband must have enjoyed it as next year we are doing a back to back with the second two weeks ending in sailing back to Southampton!

Carole

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

I love the sea days and spend hours staring out at the seascape. There's always a different sea and there's always a different sky.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

We prefer the activity and discovery of port intensive cruises and will strive to avoid booking cruises with too many sea days, we pay good money to see new places not to count fish or do quizzes.

ps .... hello and welcome.

:wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

We have done many cruises with lots of sea days, including the Caribbean to and from Southampton, three times; once, just the Caribbean on a 23 nighter, again on a 35 nighter which took in Key West and New Orleans and also on our 80 day circumnavigation on Aurora.

It's one of the best cruises ever, we plan to do it again.

Our longest stretch of days at sea was cruising up the coast of Australia to Hong Kong, 6 days, and we loved every one of them.

The Invigilator
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by The Invigilator »

We love the sea days, lovely leisurely morning, long unhurried breakfasts, no rushing just taking it easy. So relaxing - just great. On the other hand as others have said there are loads of activities organised too. Some of the port days can be early starts so sea days are just perfect for chilling.

Wishing you a super first cruise. :-)

Jacknian
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Jacknian »

Hello bubbles, you will not be bored ,trust me. There is so much going on that you will not be able to do everything you want . There are classes in drawing, water colour painting, photography, computer stuff, crafts of various sorts, then there are talks by guest lecturers, quizzes, dance classes, films, the gym puts on various classes in spinning, yoga, aerobics, a walk round the deck in the early morning, and loads more. Once the weather improves we love to just relax in the sun for a few hours but my husband can't sit still for too long and he always finds plenty to amuse him, he also likes the shuffleboard and quoits. Then there are lots of sports going on like short tennis a cricket match or 5 a side football. Table tennis is very popular and of course you can always go for a swim. That's all I can think of but there are loads more activities if you want them or you can just relax and watch the sea or read, I'm sure you will have an amazing cruise and will become addicted like the rest of us !

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Our routine is very simple:

1. Get up, have breakfast, fall asleep on promenade deck, have lunch, fall asleep on promenade deck, pre-prandial drink, have dinner, show or quiz, bed.

2. Repeat from 1

The Monocled Mutineer
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by The Monocled Mutineer »

QB:

Ditto but on the aft decks and sub some shows with cinema, quiz, game shows, or karaoke.
TMM

bassman67
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by bassman67 »

This is my first vist to the forum for many weeks, so imagine my delight to see that TMM has finally decided to "return to the fray". Welcome back, Derek; it's a pleasure to read your posts(most of the time!)

Regards, Geoff L

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I think sea days can be daunting if you've not cruised before. Our son-in-law, for example, can't see the point of a mediterranean cruise ex Southampton, his argument being he doesn't want to spend three days getting to his holiday and three getting back. Our argument is that the holiday begins from the moment you get aboard and we really value those winding down days at sea before the activity of the first port. We've not done more than 4 in a row but certainly never get bored, but take Moby's point and enjoy seeing new places too.

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

an odd sea day here and there is okay but I dont pay good money to counts clouds and waves either, I want to see ports and explore sites on our next one ,which is a 14 nighter in the Carribean there are 3 sea days in total, and thats more than enough
thank you ever so much :wave:
Last edited by Dark Knight on 13 Sep 2013, 11:53, edited 1 time in total.
Nihil Obstat

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Dark Knight wrote:
.... and explore sties on our next one ....

Nothing like a bit of culture - agriculture in this case :D

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Pedant :lol:
Nihil Obstat

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Okay so now yuo've corrected the smelling so my post deosn't make sesne!

jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jay-ell71 »

Is there a correct way of smelling when visiting sties?
Jay

Return to “New to Cruising”