Reports about cruises on Aurora

Topic author
melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Melsea's USA/Canada Adventures Part 1

Post by melsea »

Melsea's USA & Canada Adventures Part 1

We arrived at the terminal early along with other passengers who had the same idea. We had driven down the night before and stayed in a hotel in Eastleigh, we leave our car there and we get a taxi to the port. Checking in was easy and very quick. It wasn't long before we were sat having tea & coffee in the priority section. Our time there also wasn't very long either as we with others were directed onto the ship and yippee our cruise begins with P&O on the lovely Aurora which holds special memories for us, we got married on there in 2011, apologies for those of you who already know this.
Our destination on this embarkation priority day was the Alexander Restaurant because of the numbers of people boarding who are in the Caribbean, Baltic & Ligurian tiers are many, and those that are in suites too. On a previous cruise it was in Carmen's. on all these occasions we have a very small buffet like eats but I guess what sets it apart is the fact the drinks are free, Champagne, Buck's Fizz, red & white wine I think, I can not remember. I had 1 Buck Fizz and a diet coke. I must mention that the on the next table was a rather noisy gentleman in the guise of Dai & the lovely Linda. Actually the whole table was noisy and we hadn't even left the port!! But seriously it was good to see them.
We were informed that our cabins were ready at 1.30. Our cabin that is an inside cabin is on C deck, I will review this on our return. Most of our cases had arrive and the rest came while we were on muster drill.
Muster station drill done, it was time to say goodbye to sunny Southampton and to sail onwards to the horizon for our 25 day cruise.

Sea Days 1of 6

Our first day of six sea days. The alarm woke me at 7.15. We both got up, put on our exercise gear on and went for our walk.
We had our showers and then went to Cafe Bordeaux for breakfast. For our breakfast we both had the poached egg on a muffin with a small slice of salmon. I had before that a fruit platter with yogurt.
At 11 I went to see the profiler Diana Simpson who looked very well and thinner. I spoke with her afterwards and she said she had been diagnosed with diabetes and that she cut out sugar and she lost three stone!
The talk was a good one and she has added new material. I sat outside for a while in the sun but it got a little cold and so I sat under the closed roof of the Crystal Pool which was infinitely warmer. At just before 2pm I made my way to the Uganda Room where there was a cruise community meeting. Around 15 people turned up, with the help of Dai having organised this meeting we also had tea & coffee which was served by one of the waiters. We had to close up not long before 3pm as there was a Spanish class to be held in the room. This was my cue to go and meet with Bill and go to lunch at Cafe B, service was not great but we had a nice lunch.
I did another walk later and I did 2.98 miles so I was able to add my calories to my total which meant I cold eat well in the evening. ( I am using an app called MyfitnessPal which is excellent).
I had a 40 minute nap before I got ready for the evening which was a dress code of Smart, Jacket required. I wore my purple sequin dress which fitted me so much better than the last time I was on this ship back in July. Dinner was good and conversation was too. It is a table of eight but only six of us on this first night. After dinner I went to see the Headliners. The show was not the one advertised as one of the singers was not well and so they did Destination Dance, not my favourite but still a good show.
Gosh almost forgot, I went to the Spa raffle and unbelievably I won a stone massage, I have never won before so I was pleased I got this prize as I think I will be needing a massage after we have our flurry of ports, 7 in a row in total if you include the two days in New York.

More to follow.

Melsea

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Melsea's USA/Canada Adventures Part 1

Post by Suekersh »

Thanks Mel for reporting. I use the same app as you for diet nd exercise. It's amazing when you see it written down how it helps to cut down food intake or exercise more. I love the progress chart as well.
Mine goes down gradually until the next cruise when because I don't weigh myself on board it jumps up dramatically when I get home.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Sue

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Thanks for your report Mel. The poached eggs and smoked salmon sound good.

Btw what's a profiler?

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Some great ports on a great ship melsea.

Thanks for your first report.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Looking forward to more. Thank you.
Gill

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

oldbluefox wrote:
Thanks for your report Mel. The poached eggs and smoked salmon sound good.

Btw what's a profiler?
Hope Mel doesn't mind me replying, a profiler is someone who builds a picture of another using their handwriting, their mannerisms, their responses to certain questions etc

If you ever get the chance on a cruise to see Diana Simpson do go along because she is really interesting ( humorous too ) and her talks get even more interesting as she progresses.

She was very involved in the profiling of the Yorkshire Ripper ( to name just one ) this was especially interesting to me, a) because I'm from Yorkshire and b) because my SIL's sister was actually one of the police officers involved in the arrest of the YR.
Jo

Topic author
melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

DC

Don't mind you answering, I couldn't have put it better. She is very good and for the first I met her husband.
Next report or two shortly.

Return to “Aurora Cruise Reports”