melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Melsea's USA/Canada Adventures Part 2

Post by melsea »

Melsea's USA & Canada Adventures Part 2

Sea Days 2 to 4

5th Sept
Clocks went back last night and they were to go back again this night as well.
We woke up and went for our walk, it was freezing. I went back to the cabin to get my fleece, I did about 10 minutes up on the top deck but finish the rest of my walk on deck 7, the prom deck. Bill walked for an hour.
We went to Cafe B where there was a little bit of a queue, but we did not have to wait long. We realised that we are went to breakfast earlier than we usually do.
I went to the Spa to book my raffle prize, the Stone Massage and booked also a pedicure as well.

6th Sept
Today is our unofficial anniversary, it is the day we met which was 11 years ago. Where have the years gone, it has gone by very quickly.
In the evening we dined at Cafe Bordeaux, it was a spur of the moment thing and the restaurant was not busy. It was really lovely, we rarely do the dinner in CB as we prefer the Pennant Grill. We both had rack of lamb, it was delicious, we had four instead of the usual very small 2 of MDR meal. Even the mint sauce was thicker and it was cooked to our liking. Everything was really nice and because we decided at the last minute we had not anticipation of the meal & evening. We like doing things off the hoof as it makes an unexpected experience more enjoyable. One thing though that the standard charge for MPW in Cafe Bordeaux is more than the Pennant Grill.

7th Sept
Clocks went back again last night which meant today we are 3 hours behind the UK.
We woke a little later and but we did do our morning walk, Bill did an hour I did 45 minutes. After breakfast in CB, I went to Diane's talk which was on hearing, interesting talk which highlighted the issues that surround why people do not recognise themselves as being the one to being and going deaf. People make the assumption that its the other person that is hard of hearing. People accept others wearing glasses, walking with a stick but because hearing is an invisible action when those are having to repeat themselves, shout louder or that the television is on too loud and that hearing can be seen and act as a nuisance since patience is what is needed by those on the receiving end to deal with someone is with a deaf or hard of hearing person, this could be someone close to you. The talk was mainly about when people begin to loose their hearing and it is often a gradual loss and so one is not aware this is happening to them. Very informative and enlightening. The funny thing is is that with me being deaf one would expect me to be patient but alas I am an impatient so & so. I have to mention that Diane speaks from experience as she lost some of her hearing many years ago and she thought it was everyone else speaking too low, mumbling and it was at a meeting she realised it was her that was not hearing and she now has two hearing aids. So I sympathise with both sides of the situation.
After the talk I went up to the crows nest where I sat and looked out to the weather lashing with rain, it was a rather nasty bit of weather. I noticed in the distance that it was clearer and it did clear up a bit. While sitting there I was trying to plot what we are going to do in New York since we have only a day and a half there and depending on how quickly we get through US customs & immigration will depend on when we actually get off. There is so much to see that it is very difficult to know what go and see and in what order. Think I have it sorted, I will look again tomorrow with fresh eyes. At 2pm I went to a port talk on St Johns in New Brunswick, Canada. I only went because of the timing of it, usually they are in the morning when we are having breakfast. So it was a good time to check it out. A lot better than previous talks I have been to in the past, a little more of what you can see on your own and a just a few P&O tours were mentioned. It finished just before 3pm and so I was ale to meet up with Bill to go to lunch. Lunch was good, soup today was Mulligatawny, which was really lovely, I do not as a rule like curry like food but once you have a few mouthfuls it is very delicious.
I had an appointment at the Spa to have a pedicure and nail polish of my toes. I had the same girl as last time Maria who is very good and thorough, she does the best nail polish application and does better pedicure than my chiropodist at home.

Return to “Aurora Cruise Reports”