Reports about cruises on Oriana

Topic author
barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

What a great time !!!

Post by barney »

Hi to all.

Just back from Med cruise x324 on the wonderful Oriana.

We had a very leisurely journey down to Southampton and boarded Oriana at about 12.30pm.
As usual, straight up the The Conservatory for a quick bite then off to discover what the old girl had in store for us.

We were very pleasantly surprised with all facilities considering some of the things I'd read before departure.
The ship was immaculate.

Went down to unpack at about 2.00 ish and into our outside cabin. This was our first cruise without a balcony but were happy with what we got.
The cabin was spotlessly clean with a shower only. Small but functional with the bonus of dual cabinets.
So, half for me and one and a half for Mrs Barney. I thought that this was a result as don't usually do that well.

We were first sitting and met our dining companions on our table for eight. A lovely mix of people and after the initial first night nerves, we all got on famously.
The standard of the food was pretty much as we have found previously. Generally very good, with the odd duff one. No complaints from me.

With thanks to Peter D from this forum for the port information, we DIY'd all ports.
Lisbon was nice with the exception of the amount of street beggars. I'm not sure what can be done but it is epidemic proportions now.
Gibraltar was very nice and was very hot.
Barcelona is one of our favourites and we had a excellent meal in a wonderful little resturaunt just off La Rambla. A little on the dear side but worth every penny.
Valencia was a wonderful surprise. What a great city. The Cathedral was stunning and it was a lovely place just to wander. We will be sure to go back.
Malaga was next and again we had a great day with an extention on the port time up to 20.00.
We got the bus from the Promenade up to the Gilbrafalro Castle (1.30 euros each) then walked down the hill to the Alcazaba.
The entry price for both combined was only 7.10 euros so the whole thing only cost 10 euros for the both of us.
The Alcazaba was very interesting with some lovely areas. Then, off the the Cathedral. That was absolutely stunning. We'll never forget it.
We finished off in lovely Cadiz. Again, just wandered, had a nice meal and just soaked up the atmosphere. Some of the street theatre, especially a busking flamenco troop made it even more memorable.

The biggest shock was the weather. After the first two sea days ( a bit 'lumpy') the sun came out and shone until our last sea day on return.
It was mid twenties in Valencia, Malaga & Cadiz, without a cloud in the sky.

The ship entertainment was the usual hit & miss but I do apprciate that this is very subjective.
The Headliners did what the Headliners do, and with the exception of the Motown Show, it was pretty good to be fair.
Of the Special acts, there was a lady violinist called E Sarah Carter who was very good with a nice way about her.
A comedian called Gerry Graham whose first show was excellent but his second was aimed at much older age group so maybe they loved it, but it was lost on us.
A fabulous Soprano called Fiona Jessica someone or other. She was absolutely fabulous on her first show, doing many arias and her second show was a bit more contempory. She was a class above any one else I've seen on any cruise ship.
Lastly was a male vocalist called Andy Crust. Didn't do it for me I'm afraid. He wasn't bad or anything, but just excite me. I'm sure that some must have loved him.
I must also add that one of the entertainment crew, Chris, did and Elvis show in the Pacific Lounge. He bought the house down.
Definately not the best Elvis impersonator but a very, very funny act. It was so popular that he had to do another show later in the week due to public demand.

So to summarise, we had another wonderful cruise, met some of the loveliest people and got a bit of winter sun to boot.
The staff are an absolute credit to P&O. From the cabin steward right up to the Captain Robert Camby.

I would also like to add that they did a very moving Rememberance Day service that was very well attended by the passengers and realy looked after the Phillipino crew who were worried about family back home. A waitress told me that they had been absolutely fantstic to all of them offering Sat phones, free WiFi etc. Carnival UK also donated £100K to the emergency fund.

I do appreciate that P&O are not everyones cup of tea but it suits us and we will definately be back.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Re: What a great time !!!

Post by Suekersh »

Brilliant review Barney.

We missed our cruise on Oriana this year due to ill health so looking forward to next years cruise.

Sue

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Welcome back Barney. Pleased you had such a good cruise. Thanks for the review.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Great review Barney, so pleased you had a good cruise and good weather as well.

Oriana is one of my favourite ships :thumbup: :thumbup:
Jo

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Glad you enjoyed your trip, Barney.
I think your last sentence sums up all the claptrap, all the snobbery, all the inverted snobbery and all the moaning we hear about P&O ... we would feel the same way, a great British company that suits us and provides fantastic holidays ... like yourself, we can't wait to get back on board.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Good to hear you enjoyed your cruise Barney - Oriana was first P&O ship my late husband and I sailed on - good memories :thumbup:
Janis

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Kendhni wrote:
Glad you enjoyed your trip, Barney.
I think your last sentence sums up all the claptrap, all the snobbery, all the inverted snobbery and all the moaning we hear about P&O ... we would feel the same way, a great British company that suits us and provides fantastic holidays ... like yourself, we can't wait to get back on board.
We totally agree with your statement, Ken, - we have found something that suits us for now and, so far, we have never come away disappointed.

IslandSun
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by IslandSun »

I have to agree with you Barney - Chris from the entertainment crew, doing his impression of Elvis brought the house down on our cruise on Oriana in October.

I also agree that all the staff and crew on Oriana are the best on any P & O ship we have sailed on - can't wait to sail on her again!
Lyn.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Thanks for the report, sounds like it was a very enjoyable cruise
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Many thanks for the report Barney :thumbup: , it happens to coincide with a pile of offers from P&O on Oriana ... a ship we were reluctant to sail on again following a dose of NV.

:?
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Peter D
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Peter D »

Great review, glad the Ports of Call helped.
Regards

Peter

Return to “Oriana Cruise Reports”