Christmas Markets R322 Zebrugge and Amsterdam

Reports about cruises on Aurora

Topic author
Felix2
Cadet
Cadet

Christmas Markets R322 Zebrugge and Amsterdam

Post by Felix2 »

Yesterday I spent nearly an hour giving a ports of call report but it disappear eared into the ether. Feeling dejected I will start again but do it in several installments.

Zebrugge.

As has been said before the ship docks in the industrial port. There were not many coaches on tours and it was easy to disembark and get straight on to the coach at the quayside. We were going on one of two trips booked for this cruise.

This was firstly to the village of Damme. The tour guide was the best I have encountered. We travelled through the pretty Belgian countryside listening to her non stop commentary. We had a choice at Damme to have a guided tour or DIY. This is what we chose to do and as hunger pangs had set in found a cafe next to the canal for a sandwich and beer. Tours are always rushed and we only had an hour here but will be going back for a break to explore this lovely area.

Next we were taken to the outskirts of Brugge and visited the chocolate factory. Well more of an excuse to sell chocolate than see a factory in production. Still no one was complaining about being in chocolate heaven!

The tour was completed by a visit to Loppem Castle. Although in the throes of outside renovation we were shown round this lovely castle. We were greeted by a member of the Royal Family. She seemed very ordinary and personable and helped a lady with a walking aid up the steps into the imposing hall of the castle. Since returning home I am wondering if it was Queen Matilde as I have googled photos and she looked similar but I could be wrong.

Soon time to return to the ship. We would have liked to have taken a trip to Blankenburg but not enough time so that will wait for later this year.

Charlene the guide caused a gulp and total silence
amongst us passengers on the way back as she thanked the British for coming to their aid in the wars.

If you happen to have her on a tour you will be very fortunate. A thoroughly pleasant lady and so knowlegeable.

Amsterdam.

We have been here several times and not a favourite as it is so seedy in comparison to other parts of the Netherlands.

I wanted to see us go through the Oranje Locks but it was to be at 4 am. I managed it though and so I was up on deck. So glad I did as it was so tranquil and the lights of towns added to the memory. It wasn't cold and I spent half an hour up there as the ship glided slowly through the lock on the way to the berth in Amsterdam.
The terminal is very smart and modern and I think a favourite with the crew as free wifi is available inside the terminal.

The tourist office sets up a stand here and also market stalls to sell tourist memorabilia. Only a short walk into town although a tram stop is opposite for those with mobility problems. Lots of taxis outside too.

We walked around the city and found the Jordan District which is residential and a fair few shops. It is away from the hub bub of the city and nice for a walk. We found a supermarket where we bought a bottle of wine for 8 euros. It is fine to bring the odd bottle of wine on board and is not confiscated!

We walked back a different way and found an amazing building by the canal near to the ship. This was a cinema/library plus DVD and cd lending. It seemed new and was a good place to have a cup of coffee and keep warm. It is next to the floating Chinese Restaurant.

We were due to leave at 11pm but fog had set in and the Captain decided to delay departure for safety. Next day was a sea day and he hoped to make up time. In the event though we were 2 hours late arriving at Copenhagen.

I will post this and hope it is ok

Return to “Aurora Cruise Reports”