Questions from those who are new to cruising

Topic author
simeon
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Need some help finding the right cabin

Post by simeon »

Hey everyone,

Despite the fact that I am relatively new to the forum, I wanted to see if you could help me with a few things that I was considering. I have done a number of Google searches but I wanted to see what you thought.

Location of the cabin – I know that stability is important, especially considering that I am going to travel with someone who claims that they tend to get seasick rather quickly. I have been told that being lower and centralized on the ship is the best bet if you are traveling with someone who is seasick. So the advice would be to find something on the lowest level? Even if it means that I will not have the same great views I suppose. I guess that it does mean that I will not have to worry about noise as much.

Is there anyone else who has had experience traveling with someone who does not handle being at sea well? Did it actually ruin your experience or were you able to plan around it and still make the most of it?

When to book – Another question I had was about securing the cabin type (and cabin location I suppose) that you want. The travel agent we were talking to recommends that you put down a deposit to ensure that you get that specific cruise. I have heard that some people are able to get a rebate in the event that prices for cabins in my category go down. Is there such a thing or should you be aware that what you are thinking about paying is actually what you will end up paying?

I have heard that it may be beneficial to wait until the last minute, but while we do have somewhat flexible travel plans, I guess it might not be a great idea if we are stuck in a particular cabin that would not suit our needs. Is there anyone who can give some suggestions on that? Thank you for any help or information that you experienced cruisers can provide.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Need some help finding the right cabin

Post by Meg 50 »

the disadvantage with booking last minute is that the choice of cabins might be limited ( depends on the itinerary - a regular itinerary might have more choice than one which only sails once a year).

You need a midships, mid level cabin, so booking on the early side makes this more possible
Meg
x

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

I don't travel well - it gets better after the first few days!
Meg
x

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Keep taking the tablets! My wife can suffer sometimes but it doesn't stop her cruising. She takes Stugeron which work for her.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

simeon - the most stable position is, so I have been told, where the hospital is, so finding a cabin as near to that should be about as stable as you can get.

Once you have booked a cabin at a particular price then it is highly unlikely, under the current P&O terms, that you would get a rebate if the price went down - although there are/have been schemes where you may get some additional OBC.

As for having to put down a deposit for an unknown cabin - yes you can do that, however you can also register "an interest" and when booking opens you will be contacted by P&O to confirm your booking - the risk here is that due to "fluid pricing" the price may have gone up.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

oo and go for a window (or a balcony) - it helps convince the brain/ears that things aren't as bad as they feel
Meg
x

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

You have clearly done some good research, Simeon, and I suspect that you know the answers already. Find a cruise and a cabin grade at a price you find acceptable, book early to make sure you get what you want, don't look at the price again and ignore whatever anyone else may have paid. Midships, three or four decks down, with a balcony if the price is right and take some tablets with you, just in case.

Have a great cruise!

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
Keep taking the tablets! My wife can suffer sometimes but it doesn't stop her cruising. She takes Stugeron which work for her.

Top tip QB

We take Stugeron as leaving Southampton just in case, after one previous bad experience

Just for the first couple of days through the BoB

Never had a problem since.

Ref cabin, not 100% sure location makes an awful lot of difference myself.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

I'm not the world's best sailor, so I've always advocated a central cabin as low as possible but, on our last cruise, we were as high as it was possible to go, right at the front (it was all that was left by the time we booked). The Bay of Sickbay was pretty rough but we didn't experience any problems.
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Midships is definitely good for reduced motion. We don't find height quite so significant and tend to go for half way up (say C or D deck depending on ship) so as to be not immediately below or immediately above public areas which might be a source of noise.

Also we would not consider an inside cabin. All the advice on avoiding seasickness suggests that being able to see the outside world reduces the problem, as a conflict between what your eyes and the balance organs in your ears tell you worsens the problem. In fact for us that means a balcony, where we can see the horizon and get fresh rather than air-conditioned air.

Booking early gives you the widest choice of cabin. The very cheap late deals give you no choice at all other than grade, which can leave you pretty much anywhere on the ship.

And finally Trish, who is not a great sailor swears by Stugeron and wrist bands. With that combination although she's not felt great in really bad weather she's never actually been ill. But don't worry too much. In 180 nights of cruising at all times of the year we've only had a handful of really rough days. The ships' stabilisers cope well with less severe conditions.

Return to “New to Cruising”