Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Britannia dress codes

Post by Dancing Queen »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Dancing Queen wrote:
barney wrote:
DK was a bit of a legend on the old P&O forum John.

Very funny at times but could start a fight in an empty room.

His posts generally made me chuckle until he got on to the subject of smoking. Gosh! right wing or what?
Hanging's too good for 'em etc.

In a weird way, I kind of miss his posts.
Don't forget dress codes and no children should be allowed in the bars Barney :lol: :lol:
Or sunbed hogging.

Oh no. I forgot. I got into a little spat with DK (Kane, not Batty) because he was a self-confessed sunbed hogger. Despite all his other views about the "proper" way to behave reckoned it was okay to leave his paperback getting a tan while he mooched off for an hour or so for lunch.
He also sat in the middle of the smoking area in the Pennant Bar on Aurora frequently, when I pointed out to him that he was taking up a seat which basically was for a smoker his response was 'Yes' fair enough there is nothing to say he couldn't sit there but as one that found smoking so distasteful I must say it rather surprised me.

Having said that I sat chatting to him in Champions one day and have to say he was a very charming man nothing at all like the person he portrays himself as on forums.
Jo

Topic author
bassman67
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by bassman67 »

Like many others, I do miss Derek's posts, but perhaps he has said all he has to say and will henceforth just read our shallow comments, chuckling quietly to himself. On the subject of formal nights, I used to be in the same position as DK, but since retirement, I only wear a suit when on the Bench. The rest of the time, I slop around in jeans with my shirt out, so when I get the chance to dress up and complement my spouse's evening wear image, I jump at the chance. If I didn't, I would never have reached this far in the marriage marathon. B523 will be our 50th Anniversary cruise.

Topic author
bassman67
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by bassman67 »

By DK, I meant Dark Knight, of course!

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Gosh I haven't seen a dress code thread since the other thousand or so ... and I see some of the same old snobbery, but mostly inverted-snobbery, is making an appearance.

Some people like to dress up, some people don't ... some people do dress up and some people don't ... some people keep their jackets on and some people don't .. some people keep their ties on and some people don't ... there is no one-size-fits-all and that is why the cruise lines comments on the subject are usually a bit 'woolly' as they try to meet everybody's expectations.

Just do what you want to do on formal evenings, formal and (smart) casual is acceptable but, if you choose non-formal then you may not gain access to certain activities that evening.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

bassman67 wrote:
Since retirement, I only wear a suit when on the Bench.
Gosh BM67. That's a very posh footie team you play for, that expects its subs to wear suits. Do you have to change quickly when the ref blows his whistle for you to come on? :sarcasm:

Topic author
bassman67
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by bassman67 »

I know my place - just one of life's substitutes. There's not one thing I can do quickly nowadays unless it's disappear when it's my round!

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

as usual it didn't take long for the "inverted snobbery " cliché to be thrown in
that seems to be the back stop of those who just cant accept that formal nights are archaic, fancy dress put on by a cruise line which believes it represent the British way of cruising?

oddly inverted snobbery is not mentioned by people who dress like beackhdoissers at work and think that's ok?
hypocrite or just double standards?
Nihil Obstat

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Dark Knight wrote:
as usual it didn't take long for the "inverted snobbery " cliché to be thrown in
that seems to be the back stop of those who just cant accept that formal nights are archaic, fancy dress put on by a cruise line which believes it represent the British way of cruising?

oddly inverted snobbery is not mentioned by people who dress like beackhdoissers at work and think that's ok?
As you know, I agree with you completely but I feel that those who wish to ponce up should be accommodated, as should those who wish to be more relaxed.

Topic author
bassman67
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by bassman67 »

Dark Knight wrote:

AW, come on, DK, we did get all the way to page 6!

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

bassman67 wrote:
AW, come on, DK, we did get all the way to page 6!
Nope it only got to page 2.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Perhaps we should start a thread on it, so we can get to it by page 1?

Topic author
bassman67
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by bassman67 »

Surely, the Britannia dress codes are only of interest to those sailing, or considering sailing on her? End of discussion?

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Very true. And in my humble view, if the dress codes are going to seriously spoil your holiday, don't book the ship. Other ships with other dress codes are available!

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

QBob
I agree completely , as you know, however my contention has always been the same, that dressing up, is optional and a person should not be denigrated for choosing to opt out
sadly people on here and other sites, seem unable to grasp this simple truth, its optional

Bassman
the dress code, applies to the whole fleet, which could preclude people from choosing Pando
luckily I have found a company that doesn't really do formal and also don't exclude people from parts of the vessel, when they take the option to opt out :wave:
Nihil Obstat

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

bassman67 wrote:
Surely, the Britannia dress codes are only of interest to those sailing, or considering sailing on her? End of discussion?
Only as an indication of the way that P&O are going.

HellsWardle
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by HellsWardle »

I'm probably going to get barrated (if that's how you spell it!) for this but here goes:

My own personal opinion is that if P&O have a dress code then it should be adhered to. If you don't like the dress code then don't book!

Just saying :oops:

Helen

Topic author
bassman67
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by bassman67 »

Not at all, Helen. On this forum, just respected for your opinion.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

HellsWardle wrote:
I'm probably going to get barrated (if that's how you spell it!) for this but here goes:

My own personal opinion is that if P&O have a dress code then it should be adhered to. If you don't like the dress code then don't book!

Helen
With you entirely Helen. Would you book tickets for a concert by the Halle Orchestra then complain they were playing classical music? No.

So why do it with a cruise.

I have more respect for people like Batty who go off and look for something that suits than for those who book P&O then whinge.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
HellsWardle wrote:

Helen
With you entirely Helen. Would you book tickets for a concert by the Halle Orchestra then complain they were playing classical music? No.

So why do it with a cruise.

I have more respect for people like Batty who go off and look for something that suits than for those who book P&O then whinge.
But you could book for the Halle and then complain that they were playing too fast, too jazzy, too quietly, the concert hall was too hot. A better analogy would be to say that you had booked a week's holiday which happened to include a classical concert, you might like everything about the itinerary except the entertainment.

Those of us who complain are saying that the product could be better, much better without the fancy dress. And less of the sly digs please, somebody who complains when they have thousands of pounds to spend are not 'whingers', they are potential valuable repeat customers. A cruise consists of far more than a few silly pretentious evenings which are easily avoided. To say that you should avoid booking because you don't like one aspect of it is rather snooty.

All in my humble opinion, of course :)

Topic author
bassman67
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by bassman67 »

This thread started because I mis-read my Cruise Personaliser. The cruise I have booked has 10 casual evenings and 4 formal evenings, which seems a good balance to me. To continue your "analogy" theme, QB, it's like there will be four formal dinners we have been invited to by P&O, so we will dress accordingly. If we should choose to decline one or more of these invitations, we will dine elsewhere, ie, a venue without an obligatory dress code and not embarrass or offend anyone.

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Bassman
why would you offend anyone?, unless they decide to be offended and by the same token, why would you embarrass anyone?, unless they want to be embarrassed
this is the crux of all my posts about dress codes, it is my choice to dress up or not and it is not anybody else's concern nor is it their place to pass comment or judge me :roll: :roll:
Nihil Obstat

ITWA Travel Writer
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by ITWA Travel Writer »

Well in for a penny or in for a pound as we say up here in the bleak cold north, on the Moray Firth, where I had to put up the sun owning out over the balcony today as temperatures toped over 18c.

But back to dress codes. I just don’t mind what other people do.

If I wish to wear a DJ then I will.

On our last cruise aboard the Fantasia there were a lot of gents wearing DJ’s with their ladies wearing cocktail dresses even on what was listed as casual dining evenings.

We always got appreciative looks from the ladies of other gents who just managed to remove their knotted handkerchief before entering the MDR’s.

The staff also appreciated the effort we made and responded appropriately. This made us more inclined to dress for diner, no matter what the daily orders were.

I will do the same on Britannia. I may even wear 'Highland Dress', just to annoy the limeys!! :D :D
John

Qui descendunt mare in navibus.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

ITWA Travel Writer wrote:
I will do the same on Britannia. I may even wear 'Highland Dress', just to annoy the limeys!! :D :D
You can't scare me! I've seen 'Carry On Up The Khyber' and I know all about 'devils in skirts':

http://youtu.be/i8atKXFZefA

RB1961
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by RB1961 »

I don't like the fact that you can't go into some bars on a formal night if you have decided to dress smart casual.
It wouldn't bother me if I had me DJ on and someone else was smart casual. At the end of the day it just shoe socks trousers and shirt. If I get hot I take my DJ and tie off so I would then be in the same clobber as them. :shock:

Incase you are wondering I wear what I'm told. :sarcasm:

RB

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

RB1961 wrote:
I don't like the fact that you can't go into some bars on a formal night if you have decided to dress smart casual.
It wouldn't bother me if I had me DJ on and someone else was smart casual. At the end of the day it just shoe socks trousers and shirt. If I get hot I take my DJ and tie off so I would then be in the same clobber as them. :shock:

Incase you are wondering I wear what I'm told. :sarcasm:

RB
Me too. I've got a wife like that.

Return to “About Britannia”