The best book on cruising......

An area to discuss any books you have read, films that you have seen or television programmes

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Re: The best book on cruising......

Post by Dennis The Menace »

JenniC wrote:
Jan Rosser wrote:
I do wish people would stop telling me what a good read your book is Dennis - I'm saving it for my cruise end of May and it's killing me ;)
I have not yet finished it as busy with house refurb... But what I have read is brilliant Janis.. I keep laughing out loud... Not long for you to wait now!
Thanks Jenni, glad you're enjoying it :D

Hope the refurb is going ok :thumbup:

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

AlexandraW wrote:
Good evening all,

"The book" is due to arrive tomorrow (woo hoo) and I would love to wait for my cruise, but, and it is a big BUT, it is 147 days away :thumbdown: however that means only one thing for this impatient sod! ....I am going to have to start it tomorrow night! :D
No patience some people :lol:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Jan Rosser wrote:
I do wish people would stop telling me what a good read your book is Dennis - I'm saving it for my cruise end of May and it's killing me ;)
Would it help if I said I'm half way through mine and it's rubbish? :sarcasm:

(Just kidding DTM! :thumbup: )

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I finished reading your book last night - it was a really fab read, laugh out loud, but very moving too.

You should be very proud of your achievement in writing such a compelling book.

Best wishes to you and Mandy.

PS -Are you going on a cruise soon? It's just that I want to read more of your work, and your reports are always entertaining.
Gill

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Jan Rosser wrote:
Would it help if I said I'm half way through mine and it's rubbish? :sarcasm:

(Just kidding DTM! :thumbup: )

Oh, but the second half is so much better Mervyn :D

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Gill W wrote:
I finished reading your book last night - it was a really fab read, laugh out loud, but very moving too.

PS -Are you going on a cruise soon? It's just that I want to read more of your work, and your reports are always entertaining.

Thanks Gill, so pleased you liked it. And that feeling of getting the first copy of my book in my hands was immense. Really hard to describe, but I guess just 12 years of blood, sweat and tears culminating in one massive high.

Re cruising, I'm afraid I overdid it a bit getting the book over the finish line so we've just had to cancel our next cruise (it was to be 25 nights), but hopefully a shorter one will be doable later in year.

Thanks again, I really have been blown away by all the comments on the forum, and reviews posted on Amazon etc. :D

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Dennis The Menace wrote:
Gill W wrote:

Thanks Gill, so pleased you liked it. And that feeling of getting the first copy of my book in my hands was immense. Really hard to describe, but I guess just 12 years of blood, sweat and tears culminating in one massive high.

Re cruising, I'm afraid I overdid it a bit getting the book over the finish line so we've just had to cancel our next cruise (it was to be 25 nights), but hopefully a shorter one will be doable later in year.

Thanks again, I really have been blown away by all the comments on the forum, and reviews posted on Amazon etc. :D
Sorry to hear you've had to cancel your next trip DTM, but look on the bright side shouldn't P&O soon be offering you a freebie trip or two as a guest speaker? :clap:

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Sorry to hear that you had to cancel your cruise. I did a 24 night cruise last year, and found there were lots of opportunities for down time and relaxation on all the sea days, so hopefully you'll get an opportunity at some point in the future.
Gill

JoanneB
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by JoanneB »

Just finished too, a very quick read mainly because I stayed up late reading as it was unputdownable! I know it has taken it's toll DTM but can we hope for a sequel? Or maybe a work of fiction, you definitely have a talent for words.

I have recently read another first book, by the son of a lady on an upcoming cruise. Detective fiction, great plot and interesting because it is set locally but the read was "clunky". I couldn't say what was wrong but it wasn't an "easy" read and I thought "he'll probably get better it must take practice and maybe better editing" but yours is a gem. Pity it's so far from Christmas, it will make a great gift for all our cruising pals!

Thanks so much for all the pleasure, and best wishes to you both.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Dennis The Menace wrote:
Gill W wrote:

Sorry to hear you've had to cancel your next trip DTM, but look on the bright side shouldn't P&O soon be offering you a freebie trip or two as a guest speaker? :clap:
Now wouldn't that be nice :D

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Gill W wrote:
Sorry to hear that you had to cancel your cruise. I did a 24 night cruise last year, and found there were lots of opportunities for down time and relaxation on all the sea days, so hopefully you'll get an opportunity at some point in the future.
Hi Gill

Yes, hopefully it's only postponed for a year or two :D

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

JoanneB wrote:
Just finished too, a very quick read mainly because I stayed up late reading as it was unputdownable! I know it has taken it's toll DTM but can we hope for a sequel? Or maybe a work of fiction, you definitely have a talent for words.

I have recently read another first book, by the son of a lady on an upcoming cruise. Detective fiction, great plot and interesting because it is set locally but the read was "clunky". I couldn't say what was wrong but it wasn't an "easy" read and I thought "he'll probably get better it must take practice and maybe better editing" but yours is a gem. Pity it's so far from Christmas, it will make a great gift for all our cruising pals!

Thanks so much for all the pleasure, and best wishes to you both.
Thanks Joanne, that's lovely. :D Really chuffed you enjoyed enough to want to buy it for others too!

I have an idea for another book, but will be much smaller next time I think.

Thanks again

RB1961
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by RB1961 »

DtM,

Great read ...well done.

RB

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

I have just started this - great start.
Gill

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Hi DTM, congratulations .. someone emailed me a copy last week so I look forward to getting around to reading it.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

RB1961 wrote:
DtM,

Great read ...well done.

RB
Cheers RB, really pleased you enjoyed it (note to self, that's another "satisfaction or your money back" commitment successfully hurdled ;) )

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

GillD46 wrote:
I have just started this - great start.
Thanks Gill, hope it continues along the same vein :D

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Email?!? That sounds dangerously close to copyright infringement Kenneth, expect the Cyber Police to knock on your door tout suite ;-)

Hope you enjoy it you tight wad :-)

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Dennis The Menace wrote:
Email?!? That sounds dangerously close to copyright infringement Kenneth, expect the Cyber Police to knock on your door tout suite ;-)

Hope you enjoy it you tight wad :-)
Me pay for books :EEK:, heaven forbid ;)

Loose use of words ... I should have said someone who has read it has 'loaned' their Kindle copy to me. :)

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

I guessed that's what it was Ken :)

Still a tight wad though ;)

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Finished it, Den, and enjoyed it even more than I expected. Having asked me several times what I was chuckling about, Mrs K is now about to start it (another cheapskate, I'm afraid, she will just pinch it from our Kindle archive!)

Coincidentally, on our last three cruises on Arcadia, we shared a table for four with our cruising friends at the back of the Meridian, overlooking the wake - maybe even "your" table? An email to the restaurant manager secured the table in advance for us - yes, pretty boring, I know, but we just enjoyed it so much and, being on first sitting, we could enjoy many of the sailaways from there. Leaving Venice as the sun set was just amazing, as was Stockholm.

Sorry the book took so much out of you, but thank you for making the great effort. Your style is so very readable that, if you can manage it, I'm sure there's a new career there, which perhaps you can fit in as and when you feel up to it. A book every two years, maybe?

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Thanks K, thats really good of you to say, glad you enjoyed it.

Would love to do more books but we'll see - it's a long old process for anyone, even more so for a lightweight like me!

And I hope Mrs K enjoys it too, I'm only messing re borrowing from the kindle library etc, it's exactly why I ticked that box when I was converting it to kindle. I would love to get it into the ship libraries one day too.

Thanks for your review too :)

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Hey, just had a photo sent to me of my book in Tekapo in New Zealand. I've never even been in the same hemisphere as NZ!

If I can work it how, I'll post the photo :)

JoanneB
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by JoanneB »

Just found it on sale on ebay for £8 odd!!

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Hey, Joanne, that means it's increasing in value !

And at a better rate than the Building Societies are offering at the moment. :-)

Return to “Book, Film & TV Club”