The best book on cruising......

An area to discuss any books you have read, films that you have seen or television programmes

Belle53
Cadet
Cadet

Re: The best book on cruising......

Post by Belle53 »

Just downloaded it onto my kindle, really looking forward to reading it, I always enjoyed your cruise reports.

Susan Watt
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Susan Watt »

Half way through Chapter 3 on my i pad Kindle reader. Really enjoying it. Have you started on your next one yet?

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: A Big Thank You.......

Post by Silver_Shiney »

I've just downloaded too - will be reading it tomorrow night.
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Dennis The Menace »

Belle53 wrote:
Just downloaded it onto my kindle, really looking forward to reading it, I always enjoyed your cruise reports.

Thanks Belle, hope it doesn't disappoint :D

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Susan Watt wrote:
Half way through Chapter 3 on my i pad Kindle reader. Really enjoying it. Have you started on your next one yet?
Brill, pleased to hear it Susan :-)

Re another one, I'm still recovering from writing this one - it kind of takes over your life :crazy:

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

sunseeker wrote:
Have just bought one for my kindle. So looking forward to reading it! Thankyou.
Was starting to worry about you SS, good to see you.

Thanks for buying it, really hope you enjoy it :D

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Silver_Shiney wrote:
I've just downloaded too - will be reading it tomorrow night.
Great, thanks Alan, fingers crossed you enjoy it :)

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

JenniC wrote:
Ordered mine too, but loved the cover so much went for the hard copy rather than Kindle.. Cannot wait to read it..... :thumbup:
Thanks Jenni. That cover took me ages ! I thought it would be the simplest part of the process but took me weeks to get the picture right (with a little help from Ray & Sue).

Hope you enjoy it :D

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Thanks to everyone who bought the kindle one this week - I'm more of a book person, and nearly didn't bother with the kindle version at all, but it's all so instant isn't it ? For these first few days at least my book has been the 2nd best selling cruise book on the whole of amazon uk :-)

I've had a few people say their paperback versions turned up this morning, so hopefully those who, like me, prefer something more tactile, will soon gave their copies too - please let me know if any issues with print, format etc.

Have a good weekend all, and thanks again :-)

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Ray, if you have any problems finding it, let me know.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

The paperback copies should start arriving from today folks - any probs when they arrive then just let me know.

Oh and I've had my first 2 reviews on Amazon - and very nice they are too :-)

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Dennis The Menace wrote:
Dancing Queen wrote:
Just out of interest DTM are there a specific number for sale or will they just keep printing as long as they are selling, the only reason I am asking is I will promote it for you on our next cruise and I will actually take my copy ( once read ) to give to the library on board., I will of course expect a replacement signed by the author
That would be great DQ. I had wondered if P&O would allow me to donate a copy to each ship but wasn't sure if they would be interested.

In terms of volume, as far as I am aware they print them as and when they are purchased so, in theory, no limit. Or at least until I lose my bottle again and make it unavailable
Why don't you send Christopher E or better still David Dingle a complimentary copy and say you would like to donate a copy to all the ships and would that be acceptable, probably best to mention just P&O ships otherwise they might think the whole Carnival group and that won't be very good for the profits :roll:

I think that just might get you an invite to the Britannia maiden too if you play your cards right !!!!

Well just 5 minutes ago IT ARRIVED so you wont be hearing much from me this weekend folks :lol: :lol:
Jo

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

I added it to my Amazon wishlist as the first episode of the Christmas hint list..

then thought, "s*d it - I'm off on a cruise in a few days and that's the only time I have to read at length..."

the book will arrive on Monday hopefully! Then I just have to hide it in the 'to pack' pile so I don't read it before I go
Meg
x

ShirleyT
Cadet
Cadet

Post by ShirleyT »

Now read 59%. There is definitely a "cat link" developing here. Cried over the cat dying, shed a tear for the kitten in Dubrovnik. I am a bit of a cat woman,having bred Birmans for years and my ginger moggy is lounging next to me on the sofa as I type this. Non cat lovers do not panic. Felines are not mentioned very often, I just happen to notice it more than others perhaps. I am loving the book and will definitely be doing my first review on Amazon when I have read it all.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Just bought the kindle version DTM

I'll let you know what I think and do a review (everyone's a bloody critic) :roll:

regards
barney
Empty vessels .. and all that

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Dancing Queen wrote:
Dennis The Menace wrote:
Dancing Queen wrote:
Just out of interest DTM are there a specific number for sale or will they just keep printing as long as they are selling, the only reason I am asking is I will promote it for you on our next cruise and I will actually take my copy ( once read ) to give to the library on board., I will of course expect a replacement signed by the author
That would be great DQ. I had wondered if P&O would allow me to donate a copy to each ship but wasn't sure if they would be interested.

In terms of volume, as far as I am aware they print them as and when they are purchased so, in theory, no limit. Or at least until I lose my bottle again and make it unavailable
Why don't you send Christopher E or better still David Dingle a complimentary copy and say you would like to donate a copy to all the ships and would that be acceptable, probably best to mention just P&O ships otherwise they might think the whole Carnival group and that won't be very good for the profits

I think that just might get you an invite to the Britannia maiden too if you play your cards right !!!!

Well just 5 minutes ago IT ARRIVED so you wont be hearing much from me this weekend folks :
On blimey, no pressure then Jo :shock: hope it stands up to expectation now it's here :D my recommendation would be to drink profusely whilst reading it !

Re P&O, someone else mentioned that too, but i feel a bit strange saying "pwease wead my booky book, it's weally good Mr Dingle" :oops: maybe I could send it anonymously instead :?:

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Meg 50 wrote:
I added it to my Amazon wishlist as the first episode of the Christmas hint list..

then thought, "s*d it - I'm off on a cruise in a few days and that's the only time I have to read at length..."

the book will arrive on Monday hopefully! Then I just have to hide it in the 'to pack' pile so I don't read it before I go
Cheers Meggles, hope it's worth the wait :D

And have a great cruise :wave:

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

ShirleyT wrote:
Now read 59%. There is definitely a "cat link" developing here. Cried over the cat dying, shed a tear for the kitten in Dubrovnik. I am a bit of a cat woman,having bred Birmans for years and my ginger moggy is lounging next to me on the sofa as I type this. Non cat lovers do not panic. Felines are not mentioned very often, I just happen to notice it more than others perhaps. I am loving the book and will definitely be doing my first review on Amazon when I have read it all.
Those are the only two cat bits Shirley, so you can hopefully relax now ;)

Chuffed to hear you are still enjoying it two thirds in, hope the rest matches up :D

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

barney wrote:
Just bought the kindle version DTM

I'll let you know what I think and do a review (everyone's a bl**dy critic) :roll:

regards
barney
Cheers Barney, hope it's ok :D

sunseeker
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by sunseeker »

Another kindle version sold! :D I have already started reading it....loving it! Thanks for all your hard work.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Why don't you send Christopher E or better still David Dingle a complimentary copy and say you would like to donate a copy to all the ships and would that be acceptable, probably best to mention just P&O ships otherwise they might think the whole Carnival group and that won't be very good for the profits

Well just 5 minutes ago IT ARRIVED so you wont be hearing much from me this weekend folks :[/quote]

On blimey, no pressure then Jo :shock: hope it stands up to expectation now it's here my recommendation would be to drink profusely whilst reading it !

Re P&O, someone else mentioned that too, but i feel a bit strange saying "pwease wead my booky book, it's weally good Mr Dingle" :oops: maybe I could send it anonymously instead [/quote]

Ohhh no pressure from me Den, already half way through it and loving every turn of the page, impressions so far, very well written, holds your interest, I've laughed and cried but thoroughly enjoying it.

OK you don't have to beg DD to read it just tell him you would like to donate a copy to each P&O ship and have enclosed a copy for his perusal if he would like to read it, failing that we'll just bombard the P&O facebook page and get everyone talking about it .. I don't look on there very often so it may well have had a mention already !!
Jo

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Now waiting for it to arrive through the post - I have a Kindle but I really prefer to have the actual book. And what's all this about cats? I don't want to be shedding tears!

Carole

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

sunseeker wrote:
Another kindle version sold! :D I have already started reading it....loving it! Thanks for all your hard work.
Thanks SS, glad to hear you are enjoying it :D

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

CaroleF wrote:
Now waiting for it to arrive through the post - I have a Kindle but I really prefer to have the actual book. And what's all this about cats? I don't want to be shedding tears!

Carole
Sorry Carole, their might be a few sad bits in it - but outnumbered significantly by the happy stuff i think :D Hope you don't shed any tears

Saying that, i've just damn near been in tears myself having seen the latest review that some lovely person has put on Amazon :roll:

Hope you enjoy it when it arrives :D

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

I dare you, keep a dry eye through this (or maybe it's just me!):

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you for sharing, 27 April 2014

By HAWKINSmg - Verified Purchase
This review is from: Sicknote Goes Cruising: An Occasional Diary (Kindle Edition)

Wow well what can I say without giving it away. Dennis thank you to both you and Mandy for sharing ten years of your life. It was very brave of you. The contents have made me giggle, cry, laugh out loud and sob.

The detail and info on P&O cruises, their itineraries and ports is fantastic. I haven't cruised with them as I'm an R.C.I fan but I would now consider.

I never expected to be taken on such a journey when I bought your book on my kindle. Having close hand experience of Mandy' s illness meant this book was unexpectedly poignant. I'd be honoured to meet you guy's on a cruise one day.

I read a lot of books on my kindle and I have never bothered to write a review on Amazon before. But your hard work, determination, decency and humbleness (not sure if that is a word) means that the least I can do is take a few minutes to write this.

Wishing you and Mandy health and happiness and I hope for a second instalment one day.

To anyone reading this...buy this book!!! P&O cruises if you see this you should stock it in your on board shops!!!!!

Return to “Book, Film & TV Club”